IGNORED

Books about football - suggestions please

Jerseybean

Not sure if there is already a thread on this, I couldn’t find one, if there is please can the mods amalgamate this.

Have just finished reading ‘The footballer who could fly’ by Duncan Hamilton. 

Would be good to hear of other good reads on the subject of football books. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Not sure if there is already a thread on this, I couldn’t find one, if there is please can the mods amalgamate this.

Have just finished reading ‘The footballer who could fly’ by Duncan Hamilton. 

Would be good to hear of other good reads on the subject of football books. 

Don't know if you like auto/biographies but currently reading Geoff Merrick's, but also Brian Clough's is a good one also Johan Cruyff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Richard Head said:

Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby is brilliant, much better than the film. I also remember Only A Game? by Eamonn Dunphy from the 1970s which I thought was well written.

I need to re-read Fever Pitch remember it being excellent 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Richard Head said:

Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby is brilliant, much better than the film. I also remember Only A Game? by Eamonn Dunphy from the 1970s which I thought was well written.

I read Dunphy’s book in school, was the first of its kind.

The Garry Nelson diaries, Left Foot Forward and Left Foot in the Grave are excellent too.

• Like 3

Ronald Reng's - A life too short

Ghostwritten - Ossie, King of Stamford 

Stan Bowles (though ghostwritten) - Stan The Man

Paolo Hewitt - The greatest footballer you never saw

Kevin Beattie - The Beat

Pete Davies - All Played Out

For Fiction , the utterly brilliant David Peace's The Damned United

Edited by BTRFTG
  • Like 2

Harry Dolman's Biography

The Working Man's Ballet - Alan Hudson (probably more interesting if you can remember that era of football)

Charity shops are a great place to pick up football books.

One of the very few books that I never finished was an early Gary Linekar autobiography, the most boring book ever. 

• Like 1

Echo the thoughts on "Inverting the Pyramid". It's heavy and dense, but as a history of tactics (and society) it's unmatched.

If you're interested in youth development then I recommend "No Hunger in Paradise" by Michael Calvin. Calvin's got a number of books out, including the classic "The Nowhere Men", but I enjoyed "No Hunger" the most.

Finally, Nedum Onuaha was a much needed fresh voice on the podcasts last season. I've not read his new book "Kicking Back" but if his written word is as good as his spoken it should be a good read. I'll be grabbing it once it's in paperback.

• Like 1

Steaming In - Colin Ward - one of the early books about following football in the 1970's and 1980's.  It isn't one of those typical hooligan type books - "we ran everybody off our manor", blah, blah, blah.  An authentic account from somebody who was there at the time, not a main protaganist.  It's been years since I read it, but I felt that it painted a true picture of what it was like to be on the terraces. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Echo the thoughts on "Inverting the Pyramid". It's heavy and dense, but as a history of tactics (and society) it's unmatched.

If you're interested in youth development then I recommend "No Hunger in Paradise" by Michael Calvin. Calvin's got a number of books out, including the classic "The Nowhere Men", but I enjoyed "No Hunger" the most.

Finally, Nedum Onuaha was a much needed fresh voice on the podcasts last season. I've not read his new book "Kicking Back" but if his written word is as good as his spoken it should be a good read. I'll be grabbing it once it's in paperback.

Probably my least fave…my fave is Living On The Volcano.

I really enjoyed David Peace’s book about Bill Shankly ‘Red or Dead’, but it’s not for the faint hearted.  I’d suggest having a look at it in a bookshop to check whether you think it’s for you, as it is a mind-boggling book, incredibly repetitive, but quite hypnotic if you can get into it.  You’ve been warned!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Do you mean Inverting The Pyramid by Jonathan Wilson? In which case I agree.

Wilson has also written the history of football in Argentina which is brilliant & Behind the Curtain about Eastern European football, which is also very good.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Probably my least fave…my fave is Living On The Volcano.

Don't think I have tried that one. I found Nowhere Men a struggle, but felt Hunger was good, especially now that we know how the careers of most of the youth prospects mentioned therein have turned out. Some that are being highly rated at the time the book was written have faded into obscurity, whilst others are Raheem Sterling and Phil Foden. I think that makes it a good time to read this particular Calvin effort.

One other that I wanted to mention is "The Hard Yards" by Nige Tassell. It follows the 2019/20 Championship season, and is coming out in paperback on 4 August. Tassell focuses on Wycombe, Bournemouth and Sheff Wed (who had the -12 points hit that season) but he says he covers the whole division so we should be mentioned regularly. Re-live the final days of Lee Johnson, from the heady heights of signing Kasey Palmer (again), Benik Afobe's cameo, and going unbeaten for 10 games in the early season through to an FA Cup exit to Shrewsbury, COVID sweeping the nation, and Rodri saving us all. Should be an absolute classic.

Edited by ExiledAjax

Would add my recommendations for The Miracle of Castel Sangro and The Damned Utd.  And if you want to read more about Cloughie, then 'Provided you Don't Kiss Me', by Duncan Hamilton is excellent. Also 'Full Time - The Secret Life of Tony Cascarino' by Paul Kimmage - brilliant book.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dave L said:

Would add my recommendations for The Miracle of Castel Sangro and The Damned Utd.  And if you want to read more about Cloughie, then 'Provided you Don't Kiss Me', by Duncan Hamilton is excellent. Also 'Full Time - The Secret Life of Tony Cascarino' by Paul Kimmage - brilliant book.

The Miracle of Castel Sangro is a great read.

As is...A Season with Verona by Tim Parks.

• Like 3

The Romford Pelé: It’s only Ray Parlour’s autobiography https://amzn.eu/d/8vxxglR

Ray Parlours autobiography is brilliant, so many funny stories, and crosses over from the old school culture to the Wenger years, I read it in a few days, could put it down!

Not football, but Shoe Dog is a brilliant read, all about the story of the guy who set up Nike to try and compete with Addidas, sounds boring but it was really good, one of the best sport related books I’ve read

Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of NIKE https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0182LF9SG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SJ0WH1VACV9GZ1Z8C4Z0