IGNORED

Books about football - suggestions please

Jerseybean

Not a book I would read, but found this on Amazon about Harry the dog, made me.laugh reading the description?.

Description

Harry the Dog is a legend amongst British football hooligans. As leader of Millwall’s notorious F-Troop during the 1970s, he was at the forefront of many of the fist fights, pitch battles and gang warfare that broke out between rival firms in that era, including at Eastville Stadium in Bristol where he single-handedly tore into Bristol Rovers firm, the Gas Hit Squad and began headbutting, kicking, punching and gouging the eyes out of every member of that pathetic little outfit who got in his way. Famous for his Awooooooooo howl, which could be heard every time he went into battle, Harry is perhaps best known for his 1977 appearance on the British documentary Panorama, where a startled nation witnessed Harry’s hooligan activities at first hand, and because of his notorious brawl with neo-Nazi hardman Mickey Crane, which many regard as the most violent and bloody fist fight of the century.

A book I read a very long time ago is "The Glory Game" by Hunter Davies. It follows Spurs during the 1971-72 season when they won UEFA cup. The unusual thing for the time was that Hunter Davies was allowed almost unrestricted backroom access throughout the season. 

I re-read it a few years ago and it gives a taste for football in the early seventies that is a real contrast to today.  Little ol Bristol City also get a mention when Bill Nicholson visits Ashton Gate for a reserve match.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Taz said:

Anybody read the Christian Roberts book, and is it worth a read? Have been tempted for a while but price fluctuates quite a bit.

"I used to love football. I loved drinking even more. Shame you couldn't do them at the same time. I scored a goal once that caused an earthquake. The end."

There you go, that's saved a few quid.

Buy yourself a pint instead - how appropriate! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They've already been mentioned but I will second Gary Nelson's "Left foot forward" and "Left foot in the Grave". City get a few mentions in both books. I'd say "Left foot in the Grave" looking at his time on the managment team at Torquay is the better read of the two but both books are fantastic.

I'd also highly recommend "Provided you don't kiss me - 20 Years with Brian Clough" by Duncan Hamilton.

Another vote for Left Foot Forward, Gary Nelson.

As much the story of his journey on the way down as well as up, and a fair City connection as it details him being stretchered off at AG after a ….  ahem….. ‘coming together’

I also enjoyed Full Time: The Tony Cascarino story.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Taz said:

Anybody read the Christian Roberts book, and is it worth a read? Have been tempted for a while but price fluctuates quite a bit.

I read it.Found it quite interesting to be honest. He doesn't really pull any punches about himself.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, In the Net said:

Steaming In - Colin Ward - one of the early books about following football in the 1970's and 1980's.  It isn't one of those typical hooligan type books - "we ran everybody off our manor", blah, blah, blah.  An authentic account from somebody who was there at the time, not a main protaganist.  It's been years since I read it, but I felt that it painted a true picture of what it was like to be on the terraces. 

Including THAT snippet:

Trapped in the pub, I turned to Smudger. "Only chuck the glasses, keep the bottles for the close in work.."

• Like 1

A Season With Verona by Tim Parks has already been mentioned and check out Stamping Grounds by Charlie Connelly where he follows Liechtenstein home and away through a complete World Cup qualifying campaign.

La Roja - A Journey Through Spanish Football by Jimmy Burns is also very good - the history of Spanish football and how it was intertwined with politics, the civil war etc.

7 hours ago, In the Net said:

Steaming In - Colin Ward - one of the early books about following football in the 1970's and 1980's.  It isn't one of those typical hooligan type books - "we ran everybody off our manor", blah, blah, blah.  An authentic account from somebody who was there at the time, not a main protaganist.  It's been years since I read it, but I felt that it painted a true picture of what it was like to be on the terraces. 

Very good book and like you said not your typical bullshit 

53 minutes ago, Slacker said:

I read it.Found it quite interesting to be honest. He doesn't really pull any punches about himself.

I've tried to order it twice on ebay. Quite interested in reading it.  First time it was cancelled, 2nd time it got dispatched (sounded promising) but the wrong book arrived. What I got was a different book called 'Knee Deep in Claret: Celebration of Wine and Scotland'.

Just not ment to be. I am tempted to try again though if it's any good.

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I liked his ‘the bottom corner’, following non-league teams around.  Got a feeling he might live in Bishop Sutton.

Yes, I thought Nigel Tassell’s ‘The Bottom Corner’ was a good read, especially about grassroots football.  Since reading it I keep meaning to go and watch a match at Bishop Sutton FC, but haven’t yet managed it.

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Pretty harrowing at times.  Anyone who thinks Danny Wilson was a good manager should read it…

Thanks, may give it a read if I can find it cheap enough.

Wilson didn't really do a lot in hindsight, especially for the drinking culture around the club at the time. Think the only reason Peacock was left out of the team that time after sleeping in a ditch was because he was physically unable to play!!

Usual shouts for "A Season with Verona", "Left Foot Forward" (we don't come out of it well!), "Brilliant Orange", I would add "tor!" by Ulrich Hesse-Lichtenberger, a history of German football, "Why England Lose" by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski...and "Steak...Diana Ross" by David McVey, a wonderful story about playing football back in the '70s (and really cheap on Kindle (Bookie McBook))

Would love to read the Roberts book. 

The Damned United is excellent as noted above.

My Favourite Year is a decent read; it's a compilation of several fans relating their favourite seasons for their clubs (80s / 90s) and very well written inclduing by Nick Hornby and Roddy Doyle.  One piece is on City and titled "Thighs of an Elephant" referring to super Bob.  I no longer have the book or would credit the writer of that piece.  It's not just big clubs, Cowdenbeath was in there.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4263.My_Favorite_Year#

There's "Among the Thugs" by Bill Buford if you want something a bit different.  A reporter dives into football hooliganism to try to understand it. Unlike the hooliganism books written by the participants there's no attempt to glorify any of it.

I'd like to push anything by David Goldblatt, if you like analysis and insight into football and society. 'The Ball is round' is a wonderful doorstopper history of world football, as is his later 'The age of football'. For understanding how the Premier League became the cess pit of greed and corruption, 'The game of our lives' is great and there is also a good 'un about Brazilian football 'Futebol Nation'. He's a local too, although a bit of a gashead.