IGNORED

Ban on Heading Under 12 Level

Super

Shouldn’t have too much of an impact.  In my sons under 11s games I witness 1-2 headers every game, mostly from corners.  Corners will have to be delivered low.  No kids that age are heading big kicks from the keeper as they don’t know how, having never practised it. They are trying to control it, with varying degrees of success!  Most teams play out from the back anyway 

• Like 2

I wonder how different the game would be if heading was banned and treated like a handball if it happened?  I assume a lot more passing on the deck and less hoofing it up the pitch, which is a good thing, although corners would be interesting!

I can see a ban coming in the future due to the dementia risks that are coming out, same with tackling in rugby.  In the end legal litigation, if successful, would open the floodgates for claims, and insurance companies would then change what they cover, and all of a sudden it’s a domino effect 

Edited by Tinmans Love Child

Just now, Tinmans Love Child said:

I wonder how different the game would be if heading was banned and treated like a handball of it happened?  I assume a lot more passing on the deck and less hoofing it up the pitch, which is a good thing, although corners would be interesting!

I can see a ban coming in the future due to the dementia risks that are coming out, same with tackling in rugby.  In the end legal litigation, if successful, would open the floodgates for claims, and insurance companies would then change what they cover, and all of a sudden it’s a domino effect 

You could see more high balls with defenders unable to use their head to defend it.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Shouldn’t have too much of an impact.  In my sons under 11s games I witness 1-2 headers every game, mostly from corners.  Corners will have to be delivered low.  No kids that age are heading big kicks from the keeper as they don’t know how, having never practised it. They are trying to control it, with varying degrees of success!  Most teams play out from the back anyway 

I'd question the coaching if the keeper is punting it long at those ages.

I really don't think the football's around nowadays are in any way the same sort of threat to the balls I grew up with in the 70s, and 80s. They are a lot lighter, and giving when headed.

I think generally better awareness of concussion, and head injuries is a much better treatment of any potential future syndrome.

The game has also moved on, and there are far less head injuries nowadays compared to 20 years ago.

We always need to be mindful (take Baker for example). But a ban altogether just breeds an irrational fear factor in young players that will take out a part of the game that we know and love.

12 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I really don't think the football's around nowadays are in any way the same sort of threat to the balls I grew up with in the 70s, and 80s. They are a lot lighter, and giving when headed.

I think generally better awareness of concussion, and head injuries is a much better treatment of any potential future syndrome.

The game has also moved on, and there are far less head injuries nowadays compared to 20 years ago.

We always need to be mindful (take Baker for example). But a ban altogether just breeds an irrational fear factor in young players that will take out a part of the game that we know and love.

They are the same shape, size and weight.  Shearer proved that on his documentary.  However the old ball took in water, and therefore got heavier on wet days.

• Like 1

Do kids still play football outside of organised sport. In my day where I grew up organised local football for kids was confined to school, it was, practically non existant  outside of that arena. So we used to play after tea until dark on any patch of grass available with a Trophy football and never shirked from heading the ball. 

3 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

From what I’ve seen it won’t make much difference. They play on such small pitches it’s only really goal goal kicks or throws where the ball is in the air 

The U12 nine a side pitch is up to 80 metres long. At U12 they are using the AYL as an example frequently teams going back to front. Twelve year old players (some) can have a lot of range with a size four ball at that age. I certainly have had kids at that age scoring from headers, kids scoring from thirty and forty metres, and seen keepers go box to box. 

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The U12 nine a side pitch is up to 80 metres long. At U12 they are using the AYL as an example frequently teams going back to front. Twelve year old players (some) can have a lot of range with a size four ball at that age. I certainly have had kids at that age scoring from headers, kids scoring from thirty and forty metres, and seen keepers go box to box. 

In fairness I read it as “up to” u12, didn’t realise they’re included.  I wonder if they’ll restrict drop kicks, as like you say, by that age there’s plenty who can get the ball box to box with a single kick. 

5 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

In fairness I read it as “up to” u12, didn’t realise they’re included.  I wonder if they’ll restrict drop kicks, as like you say, by that age there’s plenty who can get the ball box to box with a single kick. 

Its a trial and as far as I know this doesnt include local leagues here. Leagues are being invited to take part by the FA, and the Avon youth league AGM has just passed and it was not proposed then. 

Its an interesting proposition. The devil is in the detail. Non heading non aerial football is utopian. Kids nature is to smash it, whether by desire or stress. At u12 kids have gone into competitive leagues, and focus is there overtly on winning, and an obvious theme of risk averse forward and up first play.

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

They do move a hell of a lot faster,maybe the balls are not the problem but the boots that are worn now 

The modern football (and the manufacturing involved) mean they are much more streamlined now - therefore less effort needed to generate pace on the ball, which also isn't as affected by drag.

7 minutes ago, Fuber said:

The modern football (and the manufacturing involved) mean they are much more streamlined now - therefore less effort needed to generate pace on the ball, which also isn't as affected by drag.

And the boots are also a lot more lightweight than back in the day,I remember when the predator came out,I was able to miss sitters and hit it 20 yards over the bar than my usual 10

Edited by joe jordans teeth

Realistically this is a ban in (at most) the U10-U12 levels. Below that, headers are rare as hens teeth. Even at U10, as has been said, it’s a couple a game. 

As coaches at U10 into U11 we already don’t deliberately train children on headers (ie we don’t do heading drills). However, if during a match (both training and formal) if a header happens then it’s currently no issue. It can even help as you explain technique.

My concern here is that I think in trying to solve a problem that doesn’t exist massively in the age groups they’re looking at the trial, there will be unanticipated side effects. A lot of football is “trained instinct” - ie you get in a position to recieve/play the ball where it means you’re (a) ready to effect the game, and (b) not get injured. In effect, this is curbing the instinct which you’ll need to “train back in” at 13. And when that stage comes, the chance of injury is increased - the player is thinking too much, the body shape is wrong. We’ve all been told “don’t dangle a leg” - every chance this will lead to this as players caught in two minds at u13.

As has been said, a simpler solution may have been to ban drop kicks, and most people do play out from the back.  I’m unconvinced in view of the quantum of occurrences per game, and the training guidelines already in place, that this is any more than a bit gimmicky as it’s equally likely to cause injury than prevent them.

(Avoidance of doubt: clearly the older the kids get the more headers there are in a game so banning at say U15 may have a “better” impact)