IGNORED

Ban on Heading Under 12 Level

Super

19 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I really don't think the football's around nowadays are in any way the same sort of threat to the balls I grew up with in the 70s, and 80s. They are a lot lighter, and giving when headed.

I think the issue is the force?

So yes the ball is lighter, but it's coming at you a lot quicker than in the 70s and 80s so can still cause issues.

Edited by Selred

17 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Its a trial and as far as I know this doesnt include local leagues here. Leagues are being invited to take part by the FA, and the Avon youth league AGM has just passed and it was not proposed then. 

Its an interesting proposition. The devil is in the detail. Non heading non aerial football is utopian. Kids nature is to smash it, whether by desire or stress. At u12 kids have gone into competitive leagues, and focus is there overtly on winning, and an obvious theme of risk averse forward and up first play.

With the announcement only made yesterday, with details not yet finalised the I would be very suprised if the GFA aren't invited to form part of the trial, which I would imagine filter down to Avon Youth and Hanham Minor leagues accordingly.  I presume it's not for the individual leagues to propose and vote for it, but will be mandated by the local FA depending on participation.

It's an interesting one. As coaches we do attempt to get the kids playing football rather than sending it long, but these are developmental ages where football should be fun.  If a team is not as good defensively and struggle to bring the ball out from defence, then a long kick up field is sometimes a good way of relieving that pressure.  I've seen teams get battered in matches because they are up against much stronger opposition.  The demoralising effect that can have on a young kid can be massive.  Kick off, lose possession, concede...rinse and repeat ad nauseum.....We would still be trying to put an emphasis on playing good attractive football, but that can't come overnight with such varying degrees of ability and potential. 

Certainly a challenge that we'll be happy to try and tackle....we've certainly been given work to do at under 11's if the GFA do take part in the trial.  Already getting the kids used to 9 a side and offsides for this season!  One more thing to add to the mix.  I should imagine "Playing out from the back" will be a drill that is deployed even more in training over the coming weeks and months. 

No information on the penalty for deliberately heading the ball either.  Direct/Indirect free kick?  I would presume the latter, as with hand balls, but does that also therefore mean that players could in theory be sent off for a headed clearance for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity.....  Will be interesting to revisit this once all information is released.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

With the announcement only made yesterday, with details not yet finalised the I would be very suprised if the GFA aren't invited to form part of the trial, which I would imagine filter down to Avon Youth and Hanham Minor leagues accordingly.  I presume it's not for the individual leagues to propose and vote for it, but will be mandated by the local FA depending on participation.

The fixtures for the AYL start 4/9/22. The AYL would be able to implement rules changes and refereeing rule changes via the Somerset and Gloucs FA's would be done in that time? The AYL league AGM was two{?) weeks ago. A shift would be needed to put this in place!!

It's an interesting one. As coaches we do attempt to get the kids playing football rather than sending it long, but these are developmental ages where football should be fun.  If a team is not as good defensively and struggle to bring the ball out from defence, then a long kick up field is sometimes a good way of relieving that pressure.  I've seen teams get battered in matches because they are up against much stronger opposition.  The demoralising effect that can have on a young kid can be massive.  Kick off, lose possession, concede...rinse and repeat ad nauseum.....We would still be trying to put an emphasis on playing good attractive football, but that can't come overnight with such varying degrees of ability and potential. 

U12 level is a development level obviously but its no longer the foundation stage. Expectation being in a competitive league with scores and results and tables has altered. 

Is that rinse and repeat and defeat fun? What actually is fun? For some its playing with mates, for some its learning new skills and some its winning. None of those answers are wrong. Fun is intrinsic and extrinsic.

Playing football and good attractive football is subjective. Looking at local leagues the top divisions are frequently sides who dont play through the third etc. That playing footbal and good attractive football is not their fun winning football. We see risk averse football. We see practical football. We also sees coaches understanding what they have as they dont play out because they have players without the aptitude, and skill to do so. There are degrees of utopianism in this good football ideal.

We would still be trying to put an emphasis on playing good attractive football, but that can't come overnight with such varying degrees of ability and potential .. How about from U7 this become a reality in a long term. Say this team will finally start playing out efficiently by U14 onwards - That development vision needs to be shared at the outset, and the risks and reward isnt for all.

The FA want us to remember who we are coaching, why and what we want to achieve. This cant be the same for every team and Coach.

Certainly a challenge that we'll be happy to try and tackle....we've certainly been given work to do at under 11's if the GFA do take part in the trial.  Already getting the kids used to 9 a side and offsides for this season!  One more thing to add to the mix.  I should imagine "Playing out from the back" will be a drill that is deployed even more in training over the coming weeks and months. 

No information on the penalty for deliberately heading the ball either.  Direct/Indirect free kick?  I would presume the latter, as with hand balls, but does that also therefore mean that players could in theory be sent off for a headed clearance for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity.....  Will be interesting to revisit this once all information is released.

In the US there are indirect free kicks for heading in leagues with no heading rules. I dont know anything past that. The cynic in me instantly looks at how advantage can be created, % long football could become more efficient. 

Will be interesting to revisit this once all information is released .. I would like to watch some games of it.

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 1

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0887617702001518#:~:text=The average number of headings,six per player per game.

I found this interesting study, admittedly from 2003, which says:

During a soccer game all players are likely to head the ball eventually, though with varying degrees of skill, frequency, and neurologic outcome. While statistics on heading frequency for amateur soccer players are currently being developed, the heading practices of professional athletes have been examined. Tysvaer and Storli (1981) observed the total number of headings in 10 first division games, six English games and four international games. The average number of headings for all players was 111, that is, an average of six per player per game. If one plays 300 top division games, a player may expect to receive at least 2,000 lifetime head blows (Tysvaer & Storli, 1981; consider also that this estimate does not include any practice headings). This is a significant number of potential brain insults, and given the knowledge accrued regarding varying risks due to heading technique, it is imperative that athletes be sufficiently skilled in proper techniques, possibly reduce the frequency of heading, and obtain the best possible knowledge about heading and cognitive function.

The conclusion was:

Players with the highest lifetime estimates of heading had poorer scores on scales measuring attention, concentration, cognitive flexibility and general intellectual functioning. 

As is happening in rugby currently, I can see lawsuits from ex players with health issues they are attributing to heading the ball, which will lead to a change in the rules or safety equipment, if lawsuits successful