IGNORED

Forest Green Rovers pre-season friendly match day thread

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The bench the best he can hope for, having missed this much pre-season, you'd think. I'd expect our starting XI at Hull to be today's team bar Wilson and Klose replacing Tanner and Vyner. 

Tanner is stronger in the tackle, more defensively astute and has some championship experience.  Wilson will undoubtedly get his chance, but I think Tanner will get the nod against Hull.

1 minute ago, Malago said:

Tanner is stronger in the tackle, more defensively astute and has some championship experience.  Wilson will undoubtedly get his chance, but I think Tanner will get the nod against Hull.

Nice to have the competition in that position at last.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Malago said:

Personally, my guess is Wilson's strong suit - his technically excellent delivery from wide areas into the box - will win the day.

Tanner certainly likes a tackle though and it's great to have genuine competition for that position, for quite a lot of positions when you think of it - of the outfield players, I'd say all bar Williams, Weimann and Semenyo have genuine competition for their places. If fit, those 3 are straight in the team whereas there's a discussion to be had over most other positions.  

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The bench the best he can hope for, having missed this much pre-season, you'd think. I'd expect our starting XI at Hull to be today's team bar Wilson and Klose replacing Tanner and Vyner. 

Watching the 2nd game, not too sure about Wilson.  Especially defensively.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Tanner play in away games and Wilson at home...

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Watching the 2nd game, not too sure about Wilson.  Especially defensively.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Tanner play in away games and Wilson at home...

Yes, from what I've read Wilson is better attacking than defending. Think that goes for all our full backs actually, although Tanner showed us last season that the crunching tackle is still alive and kicking.  

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
2 hours ago, The Bard said:

We are assuming it’ll be one or the other, we did play both Jay and Pring together on the left a few times last season and could see us having Wilson and Tanner together on the right side a few times this season 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, NYTRAM said:

Working on my Kindle now so I'm happy PS cooler in The Algarve than Bristol. 

Don't get used to it mate, back to scorchio tomorrow! Funnily enough my ex who is Portuguese is in Bristol this week with our daughter who was born there. I've had a couple of relief days at a mere 26° whilst they've been roasting in 37° ?

55 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

We are assuming it’ll be one or the other, we did play both Jay and Pring together on the left a few times last season and could see us having Wilson and Tanner together on the right side a few times this season 

You would've thought that would be tried out though. Especially with Kalas not involved.

image.thumb.jpeg.5d091ca8058cbbff1205a05ed272535f.jpeg

that was a comprehensive pre-season friendly performance.  Played with good tempo, created lots of chances and the new WSM linked really well.  FGR played their part, plenty of challenges going in, which I think is what is needed to prepare us for the first game.

• Like 2