IGNORED

Exeter City pre-season friendly match day thread

The pre-season double header will be live-streamed free to 2022/23 Season Ticket holders. Season Ticket holders will have received a single code to watch all the home pre-season matches. The games will also be available to non-Season Ticket holders for £4.99, which will cover both matches in one programme starting at 1.45pm.

Exeter City have played five pre-season friendlies. On Saturday they drew 1-1 away at Yeovil Town, previously they lost 2-1 to Tiverton Town, beat Weston Super Mare AFC 5-0, beat Taunton Town 2-1 and beat Truro City 3-0. Just us and Torquay United remain on their schedule ahead of their return to League One, and Matt Taylor will be hoping that they can retain their unbeaten run.

Along with our earlier opponents they secured promotion to league one last season by finishing second in the table.

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/football-news/exeter-city-aim-pack-punch-7343108

The club is nicknamed The Grecians, a name whose origin remains the subject of much speculation.

One suggestion is that in 1908 the club voted for the name because of its association with St Sidwells parish. Historically people living in the parish of St Sidwells were said to have been known as "Greeks" or "Grecians". However, perhaps more plausibly, the association arose because of rivalries between city boys and those of St Sidwells during the annual beating the bounds. Beating the bounds or perambulating the bounds is an ancient custom still observed in parts of England, Wales and the New England region of the United States which traditionally involved swatting local landmarks with branches to maintain a shared mental map of parishboundaries, usually every seven years.

It has also been suggested the name derived from a group of children in St Sidwells who were referred to as the 'Greasy Un's'. A further possibility was that it derived from a jeweller's shop in Sidwell Street, close to the ground, which had a clock hanging outside displaying the name 'Grecians' on its face.

Yet another theory suggests that it is a corruption of Caerwysg, the Welsh name for Exeter (Caer = fort, Wysg = Exe – fort on the river Exe, similar to the Cornish Karesk). Thus, citizens could have been known as Caer Iscuns and so possibly mutating to Grecians.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Robin 1

Not sure which game he will play in. But it will be great to see Alex Scott back in a City shirt. Huge plus 

Just reading the Bristol Post article it says he will miss out. Thought Scott himself said he would be back for these games when he was on commentary for the Cheltenham game. We shall see 

Edited by Red Army 75
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

When the centre half has got a 3pm kick off and a festival to attend at 5pm

Don’t laugh, when I played for Odd Down away at Taunton, my fellow centre back went off on the hour.  Was he injured?  Nope, he had a rave in London to go to. ???

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t laugh, when I played for Odd Down away at Taunton, my fellow centre back went off on the hour.  Was he injured?  Nope, he had a rave in London to go to. ???

Our Centre Back at Coombe Martin ( Bob Cotton) was a ticket agent and I remember somebody feigning injury after we got a corner which gave Bob just long enough to deal with an urgent phone enquiry before powering in a header from the delayed corner. ?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I've done it the other way around, first game of the season but I was at a festival for my mates bday. Stayed up late and when I went to go to bed I stubbed my toe quite badly, spent an hour in the medical tent getting it seen to

Managed to make it to the game and complete the 90, think we got battered though ?

4 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I've done it the other way around, first game of the season but I was at a festival for my mates bday. Stayed up late and when I went to go to bed I stubbed my toe quite badly, spent an hour in the medical tent getting it seen to

Managed to make it to the game and complete the 90, think we got battered though ?

Remember a boxing day game at Clevedon when we had to throw several players into the showers before the game to try to sober them up. Think we won the game as well.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Not sure which game he will play in. But it will be great to see Alex Scott back in a City shirt. Huge plus 

Just reading the Bristol Post article it says he will miss out. Thought Scott himself said he would be back for these games when he was on commentary for the Cheltenham game. We shall see 

When he said it, I thought it was a bit optimistic and immediately thought that NP may have a different view. I think Alex finished the sentence by adding, "or Bournemouth."

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Unlike the first game today the midfield are letting Exeter control the game. We need to push Exeter back and gain control of midfield. …… if they can!

What a difference from the earlier game when most of the first team were playing.

This is dreadful in comparison.

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Andy King fast becoming the new Rene Gilmartin

Or arguably this season’s Danny Simpson..

My log in won’t work so I can’t see the game but we do have Klose, Wilson, HNM, Wells, Conway, Bell & Towler on the pitch too so should be doing better than this.