IGNORED

Exeter City pre-season friendly match day thread

I feel that people get a little panicky when they see that line up struggling for an hour against lower league opposition, but if we had to see that line up at any point this season something will have gone horribly wrong. As a group they struggled to make an impression, but I think I would be happy to see minutes from most of them in amongst the first group we saw today, Bell, Conway and Wells would all look better with someone like WIlliams making the passes, the same way they did when Scott came on. Massengo, would look better with better movement ahead of him and each of the defenders would look better along side Naismith, etc. 

The other positive, as others have said, we look really fit. It was great to see people like James and WIlliam's pressing in the 88th minute in 30 degree heat.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1
52 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Aren't we getting a little heated about nothing. She is not presenting on a major sports network, at the Euros or heaven forbid at the BAFTAs wiith thousands, possibly millions watching on but on Robins TV in front of at best a few hundred viewers. She may be cutting her teeth here but it's good enough at present and everyone has to start somewhere. 

I'm not heated at all other than by the sun!

It's no big deal but just speaks of a culture I'd hoped we'd left behind.

Proficient, professional presenters are a dime a dozen; she's clearly got the job through her family connections because she is not very good.

27 minutes ago, Super said:

Bell was better on Saturday than Conway.

Thats a matter of opinion.

For me, Conway is way ahead of Bell.

I think we'll be keeping Conway around the squad with Bell on loan to National League or L2.

Towler to L2, he's more than ready for that level.

13 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Thats a matter of opinion.

For me, Conway is way ahead of Bell.

I think we'll be keeping Conway around the squad with Bell on loan to National League or L2.

Towler to L2, he's more than ready for that level.

Yep of course just going by Saturday when he was far better.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stortz said:

Proficient, professional presenters are a dime a dozen; she's clearly got the job through her family connections because she is not very good.

'she's clearly got the job through her family connection' You don't know that you're just assuming it.

Researching further her LinkedIn page:

I'm a multimedia journalist that has worked across a range of national and regional press, television
and radio, with my expertise being in sport. I'm organised and can adapt my communication skills to
a variety of demographics. Having been brought up in a footballing family, born in England, raised
in Scotland and spending my teenage years in New Zealand, I’ve been exposed to different cultures
and sporting environments around the world.

It goes on to give numerous references and examples of her work. In short therefore while you could be right she might also have got the gig on merit. 

2 hours ago, RedRock said:

Don’t forget, it’s pre-season for the posters too!

Like the players, it takes a while for this forum to return to its usual match sharpness.

Some good signs though, when we were losing we had a wafer-thin squad and will struggle improve on last season. Good rally at the end though, where we look to have a squad that should walk the Championship. Things you like to see. 

Now now play nice!

• Admin
1 hour ago, Stortz said:

Were any of us actually any good when we first started out at our jobs? 

37 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

'she's clearly got the job through her family connection' You don't know that you're just assuming it.

Researching further her LinkedIn page:

It goes on to give numerous references and examples of her work. In short therefore while you could be right she might also have got the gig on merit. 

Just to clear this all up Bobby Gould is her grandfather 

Her dad is ex footballer Jonathan Gould (Celtic etc) 

Richard Gould is her uncle 

Her brother is current Altrincham and New Zealand goalkeeper Matthew Gould 

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

Were any of us actually any good when we first started out at our jobs? 

Just to clear this all up Bobby Gould is her grandfather 

Her dad is ex footballer Jonathan Gould (Celtic etc) 

Richard Gould is her uncle 

Her brother is current Altrincham and New Zealand goalkeeper Matthew Gould 

So in other words if her grandfather, father, uncle and brother got their career jobs on merit she probably did to. 

• Hmmm 1
7 hours ago, Harry said:

Missed the cross for their 2nd and made Towler look like he lost his man. Klose should be dealing with that 

Young Taylor-Clarke missed the cross at the near post.  Should’ve got a head on it.

Overall it shows how although you can have 4 or 5 true outfield first teamers (Klose, Wilson, Massengo, Wells and Wilson), when you then play back-up and u23s against a well- drilled, physical side like Exeter, it’s easy for the performance levels to drop.

I think a couple of players were a bit shocked by what a promoted Lg2 (now Lg1) team is all about.  First 20 mins 

If it shows them that they haven’t made it yet, then that’s great.  Young Araoye stuck at it his task, fair play to him….really grew into it.  There are loads of little things I could pick apart, but there was also some good stuff in between too, it is far too easy to just pick out the negatives.  It was even more feisty than the FGR game, so another good test.  Moving Klose back into the centre so that he could organise either side was a good decision…food for though for Towler re a lg2 loan, who in fairness got himself together in an unfamiliar RCB3 role second half.

What did show was our fitness, we finished strongly, even moving to a 433 after we got back it at 2-1, and Scott got on the ball.  Exeter showed fatigue, and we got the equaliser.  Klose at 2-0 down was demanding a spark from Nahki, demanding that he gave us a bit more, and he did.

For me, a very worthwhile pre-season workout.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Who set up both of his goals ? 

Wells. However Semenyo, Weimann and Sykes would have all been capable of setting them up as well. Conway stuck them both away which is the most important thing. Nahki misses far too many chances, TC is looking a lot more sharp and clinical, hence why he’d be above Wells for me at the moment. 12 months time only one of them will be here as well. Makes far more sense to bed TC in now and hopefully he can push next season as one of the 3 slots is going to open up upfront.