13. Andreas Christensen – £167,947 per week
  14. Memphis Depay – £167,947 per week
  15. Pedri – £151,185 per week
  16. Marc-Andre ter Stegen – £145,060 per week
  17. Ronald Araujo – £112,824 per week
  18. Ferran Torres – £100,735 per week
  19. Samuel Umtiti – £100,735 per week
  20. Neto – £96,707 per week

Quite a few of these haven't been paid of late....

• Like 1

On 20/07/2022 at 13:12, Sir Geoff said:

Not to mention the deferred wages owed to De Jong and I assume other players too. Personally don't understand what the attraction was for Lewondoski in signing for Barca.

Perhaps he didn't fancy being another Galactico striker who fails to keep Karim Benzema out of RM. 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Absolute wanchor club, spent money they don’t have for years & seem to think the rules don’t ever apply to them.

Real Madrid are exactly the same.

In contrast Athletic Bilbao haven’t signed a new player in 5 seasons, always pay their way, produce incredible numbers of players through their youth system & are usually top half.

Everyone who plays for them has to either be born in or grown up in the Basque Country.

No comparison at all, so don’t give me all that “mas que un club” horseshit.

Agree for the most part but Real Madrid are financially managed much better than Barcelona- and have been for a number of years. They showed a) Some strong restraint in the market and b) Made some big player sales.

What surprises me though is how Barcelona appear to be just trying to blatantly ignore the La Liga FFP regs...still dunno how many if any of their new signings they can register!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I love that Bilbao approach, I’d love City to do similar, I know it might mean less success (not that we have much anyway!) but it would really bring the whole club together, players and fans, all from Bristol area, all in it together, instead of the feeling that most players are just there as a job, not because they have any affection for the club.  It would give us such a strong identify.  It won’t happen obvs but would be nice 

What would constitute the Bristol area or qualify a player? To play for Bilbao you need to be born a basque, but not necessarily in Spain. French basques count and Fernando Amorebieta was born in Caracas, Venezuela. Do we claim anywhere in the West Country (whatever that is defined as) or anyone born to a Bristolian. 

47 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:
  1. Frenkie de Jong – £470,156 per week
  2. Sergio Busquets – £354,591 per week
  3. Jordi Alba – £335,733 per week
  4. Robert Lewandowski – £302,208 per week
  5. Miralem Pjanic – £251,760 per week
  6. Ansu Fati – £224,842 per week
  7. Ousmane Dembele – £221,619 per week
  8. Franck Kessie – £218,235 per week
  9. Raphinha – £201,472 per week
  10. Jules Kounde – £201,472 per week
  11. Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang – £184,710 per week
  12. Gerard Pique – £167,947 per week
  13. Andreas Christensen – £167,947 per week
  14. Memphis Depay – £167,947 per week
  15. Pedri – £151,185 per week
  16. Marc-Andre ter Stegen – £145,060 per week
  17. Ronald Araujo – £112,824 per week
  18. Ferran Torres – £100,735 per week
  19. Samuel Umtiti – £100,735 per week
  20. Neto – £96,707 per week

Quite a few of these haven't been paid of late....

On that list, given his length of service with Barca and number of Spanish caps Gérard Pique looks underpaid. 

Astonishing info on the Athletic Football podcast today that Barca wrote to De Jong on 15 July claiming they had evidence of criminality in the process leading to his current contract and that he should revert to the (lower) terms of his previous contract.

This is getting more fun by the day!

5 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

What would constitute the Bristol area or qualify a player? To play for Bilbao you need to be born a basque, but not necessarily in Spain. French basques count and Fernando Amorebieta was born in Caracas, Venezuela. Do we claim anywhere in the West Country (whatever that is defined as) or anyone born to a Bristolian. 

I must admit, I’ve not thought through the finer details yet ??  As it’s hypothetical anyway, I’d probs say anyone from the counties of Bristol, South Glos, North Somerset and maybe Banes “if I wanted to share the love” is allowed, but outside of that, not interested mate!

I would allow siblings of long term season ticket holders who may live outside of the defined boundaries, but that would require a vote

• Haha 2

Barca is my second team, so ive taken quite a lot of interest in the goings on this summer… they have been, and continue to be horrifically mismanaged. They have recently sanctioned another billion of debt to fix up the stadium, and spent well over 100 million on transfers.. the only good thing is that there seems to be an intent to reduce salaries, which much like city will take several years to achieve as old contracts expire.

4 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I must admit, I’ve not thought through the finer details yet ??  As it’s hypothetical anyway, I’d probs say anyone from the counties of Bristol, South Glos, North Somerset and maybe Banes “if I wanted to share the love” is allowed, but outside of that, not interested mate!

I would allow siblings of long term season ticket holders who may live outside of the defined boundaries, but that would require a vote

Obviously any links to Rovers that are not declared when signing and later uncovered would lead to an immediate ban

12 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Barca is my second team, so ive taken quite a lot of interest in the goings on this summer… they have been, and continue to be horrifically mismanaged. They have recently sanctioned another billion of debt to fix up the stadium, and spent well over 100 million on transfers.. the only good thing is that there seems to be an intent to reduce salaries, which much like city will take several years to achieve as old contracts expire.

Intent to reduce salaries by pressuring those with existing contacts to take heavy pay cuts whilst they keep signing more players. Don't compare them to City. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TBW said:

Intent to reduce salaries by pressuring those with existing contacts to take heavy pay cuts whilst they keep signing more players. Don't compare them to City. 

What did we do with baker and weimann?

obviously no matter what you say about lansdown, him acting without class is not something that can be levelled against him, which is where barcelona, as one of the worlds most prestigious sporting organisations is sadly lacking.

5 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

obviously no matter what you say about lansdown, him acting without class is not something that can be levelled against him, which is where barcelona, as one of the worlds most prestigious sporting organisations is sadly lacking.

You mean when their contracts came up for expiry and both had suffered injury problems, so balancing the future risk? Not midway through a long contract and threatening legal action. 

Yes, definitely comparable...

Edited by TBW
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, TBW said:

You mean when their contracts came up for expiry and both had suffered injury problems, so balancing the future risk? Not midway through a long contract and threatening legal action. 

Yes, definitely comparable...

Sorry chaps, we know you are experienced champinship players but we are skint and paying kasey 25000 a week, therefore you take a big pay drop so we can sign danny simpson.

its not the same, but its in that ball park.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

Sorry chaps, we know you are experienced champinship players but we are skint and paying kasey 25000 a week, therefore you take a big pay drop so we can sign danny simpson.

Hell of a reach there.

Danny Simpson came in as a free agent late in a season. Unrelated to other shit. Baker had suffered multiple setbacks and was it an ACL Weimann did? Both were MASSIVE liabilities and so the club hedged the risk.

Barcelona have spent hundreds of MILLIONS on new players on big salaries despite deferring wages of players for months and then threatening to take those player to court because they don't want to pay the rest of the agreed deal. City never stopped paying their players, nor have they attempted to cut their pay mid-way through.

You're a clown. Just like Barcelona.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, TBW said:

Hell of a reach there.

Danny Simpson came in as a free agent late in a season. Unrelated to other shit. Baker had suffered multiple setbacks and was it an ACL Weimann did? Both were MASSIVE liabilities and so the club hedged the risk.

Barcelona have spent hundreds of MILLIONS on new players on big salaries despite deferring wages of players for months and then threatening to take those player to court because they don't want to pay the rest of the agreed deal. City never stopped paying their players, nor have they attempted to cut their pay mid-way through.

You're a clown. Just like Barcelona.

Ok, and you are a *****, dont agree with me if you dont want to, thats fine.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

We haven't demanded that players take a pay cut in the middle of their contract.

We aren't refusing to pay £17m in deferred wages to a player.

We don't claim that criminal activity was involved in a player's current contract so he should revert to his previous one.

We aren't signing players that we can't register because we don't have the money to pay them.

We are reducing our wage budget not increasing it.

Etc ad infinitum.

Otherwise we are identical to Barca.?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Baker & Weimann were OoC & free to join someone else, indeed Andi nearly joined Stoke.

We weren’t obligated to offer them anything at all, so massive difference from asking players under contract to take pay cuts.

Barca are a vile outfit, better at PR than paying their way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Ok, and you are a *****, dont agree with me if you dont want to, thats fine.

I won't, because you're wrong. 

Been sucking on too much Barcelona to realise the truth. Instead trying to bring down your supposed "first" team to their immoral levels. 

On 08/08/2022 at 07:37, East Londoner said:

Don’t the big Spanish practice clubs usually sell their training grounds to local councils for ridiculous figures as their usual means of staving off bankruptcy 

South Gloucestershire Council did put in a bid of 46 million but Mr Al-Quidi turned it down.

Oh, sorry, wrong thread.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, East Yorkshire CideRed said:

Did the Camp Nou stadium tour a couple of weeks ago and bumped into some fellow City fans from Clevedon (hello! If you’re on the forum).

FCB certainly know how to bleed you of money! All the way round there were plenty of extra ways to part with your Euros.

We went last week…I found it to be a bit of relic and definitely needs the planned rebuild.  Not quite sure how they are going to find it all but I am sure the politics behind the Catalonia /Spain divide will ensure they will not struggle for long.  My boys reckon that AG is better…..wouldn’t mind some of their trophies…that room seemed to stretch for miles.

• Like 1

Couple of bits from the BBC live text this morning:

The Athletic's David Ornstein has been speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live about the situation between Barcelona and Netherlands midfielder Frenkie de Jong, who has been linked with a move to Manchester United this summer.

It's a bit of a complicated one so bare with us!

Ornstein said: "This is an insane story within football.

"Barcelona are in huge financial trouble. Largely as a result of the pandemic and massive salaries - the wage bill is out of control. All teams in Spain’s La Liga need to comply with the league’s financial fair play rules, especially around salary caps, before they are allowed to register players for competition.

"Barcelona don’t comply with that and therefore they have got to either sell players to generate revenue or bring in revenue from elsewhere that will enable to comply with the rules and then allow them to spend on players and register them before the season.

"They have not managed to sell many players, therefore they have hauled a number of economic levers by selling off parts of their club and companies to raise revenues and that has allowed them to sign some players.

"Still La Liga says 'you are not complying with our rules, you’re not able to register some of these players before the season starts’.

"So now they need to sell players and the main source of revenue from that perspective would be Frenkie de Jong."

Ornstein explains De Jong's current stand-off with Man Utd over his wages: "Barcelona agreed a deal with Manchester United but nothing was agreed with the player who was among a number of players who agreed to defer his salary largely when the pandemic struck. He signed a new contract with the former board of directors that said 'you don’t get paid much now but you will get paid loads in the future'.

"That board of directors resigned, a new board of directors came in, they inherited these contracts and said 'oh my goodness, we have tonnes of money to pay to the likes of Frenkie de Jong in a few years time and we can't afford that, we want him gone'.

"Frenkie de Jong says 'I'll go but only if you give me the money that I’m legally entitled to by my contract' although he does want to stay at Barcelona.

"Barcelona have written to him that 'we have ground to believe there was illegality, criminality around the signing of your contact by the previous board in October 2020 and we believe there is grounds to take legal action against everyone involved, unless you return to your previous contract that you signed when you joined Barcelona in January 2019 from Ajax'.

"This is going to rumble on. There are claims of extortion towards Frenkie de Jong.

"It feels rotten and is a mess."

On 09/08/2022 at 18:00, Simon bristol said:

I agree with the highlighted quote but the rest..................................No, No, No.