IGNORED

Sunderlands match day ticket allocation is 3,338

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Nearly 10% of the population of Sunderland have a season ticket. 

9 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

It's a stunning stat.

50k equivalent down here. 

More impressive, is the other 90% being able to find something else to do on a Saturday, in Sunderland..! 

6 hours ago, phantom said:

I believe they meant as in the front rows need to be covered, not that it seems to be a deterrent. 

I can't think what the game was last season when the away fan just waltzed down the netting and onto the pitch 

Was it Derby ?

6 hours ago, phantom said:

Edited by weepywall
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

One team town - what would be the combined total season ticket sales if both City & Roverzzz were in the Championship? Quite healthy I'd say. In addition, there's eff all else to do in Sunderland. Literally.

I don't mind them, certainly compared to the deluded neighbours across their river, but if Bristol was a cultural wasteland, a post-industrial irrelevance, and a one team town, we'd have 10% buying season tickets too.

But we're not and the existence of places like Sunderland just remind us how god damn lucky we are in so many ways (apart from the bloody football!)    

Nothing to do in Sunderland! It's a 3 stop hop on their fully integrated metro transport system and you are in the centre of Newcastle! Not forgetting the absolutely stunning Northumberland coastline that is on their doorstep!

• Like 2

• Admin
20 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Nearly 10% of the population of Sunderland have a season ticket. 

I understand your point, regarding numbers, but like many other sides in that area I wonder how many of those ST holders live outside the area?

11 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It works both ways though. We’ve been given reduced allocations on many occasions when we could have sold more tickets. Much better for football fans overall to have more bums on seats when they’re available, across the game, rather than tit-for-tat allocations that stop people watching the football they want to watch. I also think a big away allocation brings out the best in our own fans and makes for a much greater sense of occasion.

True. My issue isn’t the allocation really, it’s the placement of away fans relative to ours.

I’ve always felt, since redevelopment, away fans should’ve been in A+B of the Dolman with our vocal fans occupying the Atyeo. The atmosphere really suffers with our vocal support as far away as possible from away fans.

I like that these days the club seem to be more receptive to atmosphere creation, but it could still be a lot better and fan placement can help.

I don’t think giving away fans the whole end behind a goal helps us with the marginal advantages you get from playing at home.. and every little thing we can do to gain those extra % advantages should be done. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

11 hours ago, phantom said:

Our support moaned about the lack of atm in the Atyeo not too long ago, I'm sure it wouldn't take long for some to start complaining the acoustics are better in the Lansdown stand if away fans went there 

That’s because our fans only had a small portion of the atyeo not an end behind the goal like the away end is now . Atmosphere will never be good at the gate until we have an unreserved end behind the goal like most other clubs do .

Edited by Wiltshire robin
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

That’s because our fans only had a small portion of the atyeo not an end behind the goal like the away end is now . Atmosphere will never be good at the gate until we have an unreserved end behind the goal like most other clubs do .

Anyone have any idea of how many home tickets sold ? We’ve got to be heading for a 24,000-25,000 crowd I would of thought

On 20/07/2022 at 03:58, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Sorry I will say it again 

We should have both ends for home fans. Stuff the away allocation back of Lansdown. More important than new players . It makes a massive home advantage . Expensive yes but our owners is a billionaire and will take disruptive intial group redesign work for away and home fan access.

But having both ends home is massive. We do not owe the away fans there own end. 

Sits with tin hat on 

An issue LJ raised that I agreed with (yes I know difficult to comprehend). Stuff them in a corner. I wonder what the cost would actually be?

• Robin 1

2 hours ago, harrys said:

Anyone have any idea of how many home tickets sold ? We’ve got to be heading for a 24,000-25,000 crowd I would of thought

Plenty of seats available but a couple of weeks to go, my guess would be around 23k.

On 21/07/2022 at 10:31, phantom said:

I understand your point, regarding numbers, but like many other sides in that area I wonder how many of those ST holders live outside the area?

Their support is superb, but within the NE, the answer will be a lot.

Pretty much all of the towns in Co.Durham divide on Sunderland/Newcastle lines, but there are some that are very much 100% Mackem heartlands.

Went to Durham for a funeral a few years ago, expected it to be a Newcastle town, but there was a lot of Sunderland support.

Edited by GrahamC

6 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

A lot of them not impressed with the ticket prices (can't blame them!), nightmare train journey, fuel prices, played at home first game of the season all probably affecting the numbers. Won't sell out but still a decent away following.

It is a great following and all the reasons you’ve stated are fair enough, I just thought that the first away game of the season in a great City after a few years out of this division would of guaranteed a sell out for them, expensive day/weekend out though that’s for sure 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

City saying 23k sold.  I’m guessing Sunderland’s allocation is non-returnable, so even if they haven’t sold all of them, City get the money?  Guess that’s why most clubs allocate in smaller batches, then request more?

It looks like more than 20k sold in home ends to be fair, there are hardly any tickets left on the website

• Admin
1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

It looks like more than 20k sold in home ends to be fair, there are hardly any tickets left on the website

image.png

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

23k presumably being made up of roughly 13.5k STs, 3k Sunderland fans, and 6.5k others (many at the £12.50 special price).

6.5k "others" (includes me and my dad) is a very good effort. Club will be delighted with that I'm sure.

The key will be how many of the 6.5k come back again

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

City saying 23k sold.  I’m guessing Sunderland’s allocation is non-returnable, so even if they haven’t sold all of them, City get the money?  Guess that’s why most clubs allocate in smaller batches, then request more?

That's interesting so in Citys case they had to pay for the 1250ish allocation at Hull and sold just under 1000 I believe so have to stump up for the unsold tickets ?

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

23k presumably being made up of roughly 13.5k STs, 3k Sunderland fans, and 6.5k others (many at the £12.50 special price).

6.5k "others" (includes me and my dad) is a very good effort. Club will be delighted with that I'm sure.

No, it's nothing special at all..............Bristol Boy said so and there's nothing he isn't an expert on. Clearly with the direction of travel the football club has undertaken over the last 3-4 years we should be filling up with a further 10K locked outside, Gas style, and anything less makes us a poorly supported club.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, weepywall said:

That's interesting so in Citys case they had to pay for the 1250ish allocation at Hull and sold just under 1000 I believe so have to stump up for the unsold tickets ?

Sometimes (probably most of the time for games like Hull) the allocation is “sell or return”.  But I can’t believe we let Sunderland have a 3338 allocation right off the bat on that basis.  We would have to ensure we had police, stewards, catering, etc, etc in place in case they sold the lot…and those costs will remain.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'd suspect most are returning anyway. 

Last season's average overall attendance was 19.5k. 12.1k of that was STs, maybe 1k away fans on average? (not sure, that's a hard figure to find but 1k seems a reasonable estimate to me). So that means an average of 6.4k "other" tickets sold per game last season. 

Very rough maths, and that seems like a really high figure, but it suggests that maybe a lot of these are like me, I come when I can regardless of price, but opening home game and reduced price is particularly attractive.

Basically the bulk of the increase on Saturday seems to be the extra 1.4k STs sold, and the bumper away attendance.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

No, it's nothing special at all..............Bristol Boy said so and there's nothing he isn't an expert on. Clearly with the direction of travel the football club has undertaken over the last 3-4 years we should be filling up with a further 10K locked outside, Gas style, and anything less makes us a poorly supported club.

Haha, peak school holiday period, getting extra fans through the turnstiles even at £12.50 is good going.

10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Yeh I've just worked out that it's not much special myself tbh.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

image.png

if we’re at 27k capacity I was trying to figure out where the 4k are . I know some is in atyeo as they’ve not got full allocation . But a quick scan of the seats on sale doesn’t add up to the remaining seats ? Any idea from anyone ?