IGNORED

Will bottom half mean the end of Pearson?

Top Robin

• Admin
On 21/07/2022 at 11:58, Andy082005 said:

I’m sure we were told by Pearson himself it would take 3 years. 

I agree we have been in a mess, but there are no players on 5 year contracts so just don’t understand why people think it could take that long . We have seen a number of times where clubs in dire positions have improved rapidly when they have the right coaching staff in place (Barnsley, Huddersfield, Coventry, Forest to name a couple) 

We have to be aiming for top half this year, and we have to be aiming for top 6 in year 3 

Jury is still out for me on Pearson. This is a huge season for him we have to say an improvement on a number of things 

Compare the number of non-parachute payment clubs who achieve promotion to the PL within 5 consecutive years at this level with the number of clubs that don't. I suspect the likelihood is that statistics will show it isn't even a 5 year job, instead something that just isn't likely to happen at all, those that do are outliers.

In my opinion, Pearson has worked through a period where there was a significant proportion of the squad that didn't totally buy in to what he wanted to do. We now appear to be in a position where they do. He should continue until it is clear they don't anymore (relegation fights notwithstanding). If we just chop and change manager we sentence ourselves to another 3 years of a manager changing a squad to his type of players.

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

39 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Horseshit.

Our signings under Cotterill were all paid for by selling Sam Baldock.

You can call it horseshit if you like, but the fact is that Bristol City is a "big club" in league 1, with the ability/pull/finances to out-muscle other teams in that league. Ultimately we "bought" our way out of that league, in the same way that Man City etc are able to "buy" the prem title.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ooRya said:

You can call it horseshit if you like, but the fact is that Bristol City is a "big club" in league 1, with the ability/pull/finances to out-muscle other teams in that league. Ultimately we "bought" our way out of that league, in the same way that Man City etc are able to "buy" the prem title.

LJ was given even better resources - whatever happened to him?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ooRya said:

OK fair enough.

But I would suggest that you would have been in the tiniest of minorities at that time.

The vibe I was getting in that period was, it was a question of "when" not "if" City achieved promotion.

There were certainly plenty who saw that era through….

this still cracks me up, every time I hear it.  The slip of the tongue comments afterwards doesn’t help.

9 minutes ago, ooRya said:

If we sell a player for £2m & then spend the same £2m on five or six players to win the league, that’s not “buying the league”.

What we did is just simply smart business.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

If we sell a player for £2m & then spend the same £2m on five or six players to win the league, that’s not “buying the league”.

Not quite that simple though is it.

As a "big" club in league 1, we were able to offer the salary/terms etc to attract those players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ooRya said:

As a "big" club in league 1, we were able to offer the salary/terms etc to attract those players.

No, it’s really that simple.

Bournemouth aren’t a “big” club, even in L1, but they did it by cheating FFP, we didn’t.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

No, it’s really that simple.

Bournemouth aren’t a “big” club, even in L1, but they did it by cheating FFP, we didn’t.

Tell me, why are Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich and Derby favourites to get promoted from League 1 this year? Is it because they have developed a squad and youth system over the years, gradually building to a point where they can challenge the "big boys", or is it because they are the big boys, with the spending power to match?

3 hours ago, ooRya said:

I was a strong supporter of LJ, and for a long period thought that he would lead us to the Prem.

4 hours ago, ooRya said:

The vibe I was getting in that period was, it was a question of "when" not "if" City achieved promotion.

"We call ourselves a Premier League club in training" Lee Johnson, January 2018.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ooRya said:

Tell me, why are Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich and Derby favourites to get promoted from League 1 this year? Is it because they have developed a squad and youth system over the years, gradually building to a point where they can challenge the "big boys", or is it because they are the big boys, with the spending power to match?

How did that work out for Wednesday & Ipswich last year?

Presumably big spending Rotherham must have blown them out of the water?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

There will always be an exception to the rule, but you and everyone else know that those 3 clubs will be promoted sooner rather than later, due to their "buying" power.

33 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

He went to Sunderland, mate. Then he went from there to Hibs, they're in Scotland. Where does he go from there? Further north again, I reckon 

This could be a likely destination... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kongsvinger_IL_Toppfotball

Funnily enough, I did one of those this morning. Was a bugger to flush.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, ooRya said:

By maintaining a very trim squad

You thought wonder boy was taking us to the prem , whilst demeaning Cotts & Burts team build ,

Wow

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ooRya said:

Not sure about this bit.

IMO we bought ourselves out of league 1

Horseshit did we, we recruited well while massively reducing the wage bill,

We didn't chuck 5.2 million on a striker or 8 million on the defender, we made shrude signings as part of a plan, it's a similar feel to now although I don't think we will win the championship anytime soon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ooRya said:

How did Sheffield United get on, a much bigger club with better pulling power then us?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

There were certainly plenty who saw that era through….

this still cracks me up, every time I hear it.  The slip of the tongue comments afterwards doesn’t help.

Should have gone to Specsavers for those! :D

43 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Kinda proves what a load of nonsense those prediction articles online and in various publications are. I daresay both Sheffield Wednesday and the Tractor Boys were favourites to get promotion last season.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ooRya said:

I don't think it's entirely accurate to say that Man City buy the Premier League title

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Kinda proves what a load of nonsense those prediction articles online and in various publications are. I daresay both Sheffield Wednesday and the Tractor Boys were favourites to get promotion last season.

Ipswich are either 1st or 2nd favourites.  Anyone backing them at 6/1 needs their head examining.

43 minutes ago, ooRya said:

Are they still in league 1?

How long did they stay in league one, how about Bolton, what about Portsmouth how about Bradford

We didn't buy our way out of league one and to say otherwise is total bullshit and shows a complete lack of understanding in transfers in and put of this club

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

How long did they stay in league one, how about Bolton, what about Portsmouth how about Bradford

We didn't buy our way out of league one and to say otherwise is total bullshit and shows a complete lack of understanding in transfers in and put of this club

How long were City in L1?

I reckon that in the 50+ years that I’ve watching City the majority of of that half a century has been in L1 or below. LI was and still is a really tough division to get out of.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I actually think you’re both right here. We had the draw power but also spent smart/wisely and definitely didn’t chuck funds about 

2 hours ago, ooRya said:

We weren't favourites for promotion before 2014-2015 by any means. We'd just come off a season where for 2/3 of the season, we were in real danger of relegation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ooRya said:

Are they still in league 1?

No, they appointed a great manager (Wilder), at the start of 2016/17 season, recruited sensibly, and rode a big wave, after others failed with big backing.

How many City managers (before LJ) were given money in Lg1 and couldn’t get us promoted.  Cotts met the objective (and JPT too) within a well managed budget.  He didn’t just get promoted, he “battered it”!!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ooRya said:

There will always be an exception to the rule, but you and everyone else know that those 3 clubs will be promoted sooner rather than later, due to their "buying" power.

With a used car salesmen behind the scenes...i won't be  betting on Ipswich?  (Apologies to any used car salesmen out there Ha!)

Edited by maxjak

5 hours ago, maxjak said:

With a used car salesmen behind the scenes...i won't be  betting on Ipswich?  (Apologies to any used car salesmen out there Ha!)

In fairness, some have been just run abouts such as Engvall or high mileage with dodgy body but with plenty of space in the rear like Tomlin. Szmodics was just a (spare) club in the bag. Diony sounded like in showroom condition but ended up being a three wheeler.

• Like 1