IGNORED

Celebrity fans

Oh Louie louie

2 hours ago, Renaissance Williams said:

Tell me it ain't so, Geoff......

'tis true. I discussed football rivalries and loyalties with Geoff B years ago, and he admitted that he actually used to watch City at the Gate for a while in the mid 80s, but turned away from them because of what he perceived as a hooligan problem at the time. So he ended up going down the Rovers. 

I reminded him that the only reason Rovers didn't have a similar hooligan problem at that particular time was that they had such tiny crowds back then. I hardly needed to point out their record of ill-behaviour over several decades since, so we drew a line and got back to talking music, which to be honest is generally a happier place to go!

• Like 5

On 22/07/2022 at 03:48, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Robert Del Naja (3D) is definitely a City fan, he even mentions BCFC in the album notes in Blue Lines along with Napoli.

Rovers also have a decent local musical link as Geoff Barrow of Portishead is a fan.

Billy Fuller in Geoff's other Band Beak> (and Bass player for Robert Plant) is a City fan.

Also Idles drummer Jon Beavis is a Red.

idles-2-min.jpeg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Famously Half Man Half Biscuit are Tranmere fans. There was a story that they wouldn`t play gigs on a Friday back when Tranny played their home games on Fridays.

I read an interview here they had been asked to appear on The Tube, live on Friday evenings 5 - 7, and they said they didn't want to do so because Tranmere was playing at home and they would miss the game.

The Tube's producers offered to fly them up by helicopter after playing so that they could see the game but they refused because they didn't want to look like big time Charlies arriving at the game by helicopter and also because, this being mid 80s Merseyside, the association of helicopter flights with drug dealers who paid cash for flights.

They stopped from 86 - 90 but are still going today.

I don't know if this is their biggest hit but it's the one I remember.  The recording is fairly loud so turn down your speakers.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Russell Crowe - Bristol City and Dirty Leeds 

Cousin of the brilliant NZ and Somerset player Martin Crowe (and Jeff Crowe).

When asked if he was into cricket like his cousins, he said he was, and that he was decent but unlike the Chappell brothers for Oz he didn’t want to be remembered as the crap one, Trevor!!! ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

I believe Cary Grant once graced AG with his presence.

However, there are no reports of him wearing a City scarf around Hollywood. 

He played Alan Dicks in this film about the 1982 Ashton Gate Eight affair. I think Jose Ferrer played Trevor Tainton....

image.jpeg.59559228f29e430c1f8fc20252f8bfe9.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

On 22/07/2022 at 03:48, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Robert Del Naja (3D) is definitely a City fan, he even mentions BCFC in the album notes in Blue Lines along with Napoli.

Not to mention the repeated 'Come On You Reds' sample in Unfinished Sympathy.....

A fascinating thread, this, especially as I've started research on a book about this very subject. I actually started the research more than two years ago and have dozens of celebs (some, er, more celeb than others!) that have agreed to do an interview for my book.

Some of the names mentioned on the thread are spot on, others are a little wide of the mark. 

I plan to start interviewing/writing at the end of this year and hopefully, the book will be out sometime in 2023. 

45 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

A fascinating thread, this, especially as I've started research on a book about this very subject. I actually started the research more than two years ago and have dozens of celebs (some, er, more celeb than others!) that have agreed to do an interview for my book.

Some of the names mentioned on the thread are spot on, others are a little wide of the mark. 

I plan to start interviewing/writing at the end of this year and hopefully, the book will be out sometime in 2023. 

Think there was a thread way back on City celebrities, several of whom are mentioned on this thread. 

From Formula One I think Jenson Button was/is(?) City, Lando Norris too but the later’s connection I believe was just between his dad and SL (did Steve sponsor Lando early doors?).

Quite a few musicians and Banksy, having worked close to the Dirty Duck  - despite what South Bristol people say about support north of the river - had to be a red.

Somerset cricketers past and present are all over us. While Botham played for Scunthorpe spotted him at AG once too.

54 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Think there was a thread way back on City celebrities, several of whom are mentioned on this thread. 

From Formula One I think Jenson Button was/is(?) City, Lando Norris too but the later’s connection I believe was just between his dad and SL (did Steve sponsor Lando early doors?).

Quite a few musicians and Banksy, having worked close to the Dirty Duck  - despite what South Bristol people say about support north of the river - had to be a red.

Somerset cricketers past and present are all over us. While Botham played for Scunthorpe spotted him at AG once too.

I asked Lando in person if he followed City...he said from afar.

As for Bristol Sport and the Lando connection ...the answer was a diplomatic... it was more to do with exposure for both sides, rather than money. 

This was when I was a guest for McLaren at the Brazilian GP. 

Also had lunch with Danny Alves that weekend, as he was also a guest. He now knows about little ol' Bristol City :laugh: ?☺️?

• Like 2