IGNORED

AFC Bournemouth pre-season friendly match-day thread

Jerseybean

Given my holiday in Lake Como I’m going early with this ?

It’s a visit to the Vitality Stadium for Saturdays 3 pm kick off tickets here: https://tickets.bristol-sport.co.uk/en-GB/events/afc bournemouth v bristol city/2022-7-23_15.00/vitality stadium?hallmap

Pay on the day will not be available.

We are likely to use the eleven players expected to start next weekend against Hull City for this our final and toughest pre-season test.

On 3 May 2022, AFC Bournemouth secured promotion back to the Premier League by defeating promotion rivals Nottingham Forest 1–0, with Kieffer Moore scoring.  Meaning they finished second in the Championship last season on 88 points. In the process they beat us home and away. This also means they and not Arsenal will be top of the table when they kick off against Aston Villa at the start of the season!

Over the years they have won 30 games against us, drawn 23 and lost 38.

Last week they were 2-1 winners over Sheffield Wednesday in a training game at the club’s Portugal training camp. Lewis Cook fired the Cherries into the lead just before the half-time interval with a deflected effort from inside the area. Dominic Solanke added a characteristically clinical finish in the second-half before Fisayo Dele-Bashiru reduced the deficit late on.

The victory saw two different starting 11s play in the searing heat in Portugal. First-half XI: Travers, Cook, Kelly, Mepham, Rothwell, Smith, Stacey, Lowe, Moore, Zemura, Dembele. Second-half XI: Lossl, Fredericks, Greenwood, Lerma, Solanke, Christie, Marcondes, Pearson, Hill, Billing, Anthony.

Their ten day Portuguese training camp concluded on Tuesday with a game against Sporting Braga, which they lost 2-1

Of course they signed Lloyd Kelly from us. From the age of six, Kelly spent twelve years in foster care alongside his siblings. Kelly joined Bristol City at the age of 12 after he was spotted playing for local side Bristol Central. In 2015–16. Kelly made his debut for Bristol City in a 5–0 victory against Plymouth Argyle in the EFL Cup. He made his first league start on 23 December 2017 against QPR, and scored his first league goal against Reading just three days later.

On 18 May 2019, he signed for AFC Bournemouth for an undisclosed fee, reported as £13 million, after eight years at Bristol City. He has gone on to captain the Cherries.

Pubs

For away fans there are options in Bournemouth city centre such as Walkabout https://www.walkaboutbars.co.uk/bournemouth?utm_source=google&utm_medium=local_seo_gmb&utm_content=website

However,  the main option for away fans is 15 minutes away in nearby Boscombe with the Sugar and Spice Bar 560 Christchurch Road, Bournemouth BH1 4BH

Further afield these two are well worth a visit:

Cricketers Arms

Well preserved Victorian pub near the station; separate public and lounge bars, tiled fireplaces and lots of dark wood, etched windows and stained glass, Fullers London Pride and two quickly changing guests, food includes bar snacks (home-made scotch eggs) and Sun roasts; quiz Tues, regular live music including folk, jazz and bands; children welcome, dogs in bar, picnic-sets out in front, open all day.

Cricketers Arms, 41 Windham Road, Bournemouth, BH1 4RN

(01202) 551589

Goat and Tricycle

Interesting Edwardian local (two former pubs knocked together) with rambling split-level interior; Wadworths ales and guests from pillared bar's impressive rank of ten handpumps, real cider, reasonably priced pubby food, friendly staff; background music, Sun quiz; no under-18s, dogs welcome, good disabled access, part-covered yard, open (and food) all day.

Goat and Tricycle, 27-29 West Hill Road, Bournemouth, YBH2 5PF

(01202) 314220

www.goatandtricycle.co.uk

65EF256B-1E21-432D-96A9-F8203C8057C3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Given my holiday in Lake Como I’m going early with this

Not wanting to derail the thread, but there is time to get back on track after, so....

We were in Como 4 years ago, really liked the area. We did a boat trip up the Lake to Bellagio, which was great playing spot the James Bond "set". I did get down to the local ground, but closed and no game so all I got was this photo.

1004603429_Screenshot2022-07-21at18_48_16.png.b674d264b58c1e240fd45e2039cb7eb6.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Not wanting to derail the thread, but there is time to get back on track after, so....

We were in Como 4 years ago, really liked the area. We did a boat trip up the Lake to Bellagio, which was great playing spot the James Bond "set". I did get down to the local ground, but closed and no game so all I got was this photo.

1004603429_Screenshot2022-07-21at18_48_16.png.b674d264b58c1e240fd45e2039cb7eb6.png

Was it snowing heavily?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Cheers 1960maan we are currently in Bellagio then onto Varenna and then Milan. Stunning scenery, sweltering heat and the locals are a delight.

• Like 2

Be very surprised if we don’t start with the XI that will face Hull.

Wilson or Tanner & how we use Scott after easing him back in from a lot of summer football seem to be the major questions.

Edited by GrahamC

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No stream by Bournemouth either (Dave Barton confirmed to me).  Tinpot!

Bugger! I actually shifted things around to the AM to make time to watch it.

Oh well, enjoy the game if you are going.

Roll on next Sat!

• Like 1

5 subs this season means that managers will be less fixated on the starting XI.  Some players may become "finishers"  (Conway?).   Scott will be manoeuvred into the team over the next 2 or 3 weeks.  I guess he'll start the Coventry game in the Cup.  

Fascinated to see what happens with Tanner and Wilson.  Same position but different strengths and weaknesses.  If we're protecting a lead, can definitely see Tanner replacing Wilson late on should Wilson start a game.

• Like 3

Don’t think we need to get too hung up on if one starts over another. We live in a 5-sub world now so I imagine Scott and Sykes will get time as well as both sets of fullbacks if we are to play with any sort of width and intensity. That still leaves two spare

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Bard said:

5 subs this season means that managers will be less fixated on the starting XI.  Some players may become "finishers"  (Conway?).   Scott will be manoeuvred into the team over the next 2 or 3 weeks.  I guess he'll start the Coventry game in the Cup.  

Fascinated to see what happens with Tanner and Wilson.  Same position but different strengths and weaknesses.  If we're protecting a lead, can definitely see Tanner replacing Wilson late on should Wilson start a game.

Agree, also with Wilson having not played above L1, the intensity of Championship football might see him as one of those we look to replace late in games whatever the score.

Both of them are very inexperienced at our current level, with as you rightly say, very different strengths, so it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

41 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I wonder if we may even see both of them starting sometimes? 
Wilson is almost as comfortable at left wing back as he is right. 
Maybe we might see both of them at times? 
Whichever way it goes, I expect the wing back areas to be substituted / rotated regularly, given the high intensity I think we’ll be expecting of them. 

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Scott given a job that involves affecting play in the final third please 

My personal opinion is that he best affects play in the final third from central midfield, not as a AM/10.  In modern football parlance, he is an “8”, he’s Josh Brownhill in his middle seasons here, but better with it technically (although Josh improves this part massively).  I feel he’s wasted as a 10, I want him to get in the ball as much as possible.  Don’t get me wrong he’d still be good in there, but I feel he’s more influential starting in a conventional CM role.  We saw that in the Euros this summer too.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

43 minutes ago, Harry said:

I wonder if we may even see both of them starting sometimes? 
Wilson is almost as comfortable at left wing back as he is right. 
Maybe we might see both of them at times? 
Whichever way it goes, I expect the wing back areas to be substituted / rotated regularly, given the high intensity I think we’ll be expecting of them. 

…who knows, we might even see him play RWB, especially if Wilson needs to cover LWB with Pring out (who could be back today???)

I think it was apparent why Wilson has had minutes at LWB in pre-season.

The make up of our 7 subs might only allow one WB (FB), so with Wilson able to play either side, might mean we can be more flexible with our bench options.  Although if Pring is fit, he can cover LCB too…although I feel the more defensive his role is, the less it suits him.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:
2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Scott given a job that involves affecting play in the final third please 

My personal opinion is that he best affects play in the final third from central midfield, not as a AM/10.  In modern football parlance, he is an “8”, he’s Josh Brownhill in his middle seasons here, but better with it technically (although Josh improves this part massively).  I feel he’s wasted as a 10, I want him to get in the ball as much as possible.  Don’t get me wrong he’d still be good in there, but I feel he’s more influential starting in a conventional CM role.  We saw that in the Euros this summer too.

From the BBC piece yesterday:

I think maybe as a box-to-box eight is probably my best position ...

We've agreed before Dave that he is best as an 8. The fact that he agrees with us is further proof of what an intelligent young man he is.?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

From the BBC piece yesterday:

I think maybe as a box-to-box eight is probably my best position ...

We've agreed before Dave that he is best as an 8. The fact that he agrees with us is further proof of what an intelligent young man he is.?

and @Davefevs

This will be his best position I’m sure but for this season the two midfield positions will be taken by James and Williams if both fit so I’d like to see Scott starting slightly ahead of them.  I see Scott as very versatile who can slot into midfield two if we have an injury and can also cover Weimann and even Semenyo if they are out.  An excellent player to have in a squad.  May well start 35-40 games this season across 3 positions 

• Like 3