IGNORED

AFC Bournemouth pre-season friendly match-day thread

Jerseybean

22 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

and @Davefevs

This will be his best position I’m sure but for this season the two midfield positions will be taken by James and Williams if both fit so I’d like to see Scott starting slightly ahead of them.  I see Scott as very versatile who can slot into midfield two if we have an injury and can also cover Weimann and even Semenyo if they are out.  An excellent player to have in a squad.  May well start 35-40 games this season across 3 positions 

Hope not. He can not be shifted around again this season. Looking at it from a purely business perspective we need him in his best position all season, improving statistically upon last season. 

3 minutes ago, James54De said:

Hope not. He can not be shifted around again this season. Looking at it from a purely business perspective we need him in his best position all season, improving statistically upon last season. 

Who do you see sitting on the bench then? James or Williams. I can’t see either of them not making the first team. Obv if it is one of them it will be James.  

Maybe Scott fills in for one of them when they aren’t fit. We know their fitness record isn’t amazing so if he was back up for both he may well start 30 matches anyway 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Who do you see sitting on the bench then? James or Williams. I can’t see either of them not making the first team. Obv if it is one of them it will be James.  

Maybe Scott fills in for one of them when they aren’t fit. We know their fitness record isn’t amazing so if he was back up for both he may well start 30 matches anyway 

Answered your own question there. I absolutely see Scott benching one of them, not just filling in. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

My personal opinion is that he best affects play in the final third from central midfield, not as a AM/10.  In modern football parlance, he is an “8”, he’s Josh Brownhill in his middle seasons here, but better with it technically (although Josh improves this part massively).  I feel he’s wasted as a 10, I want him to get in the ball as much as possible.  Don’t get me wrong he’d still be good in there, but I feel he’s more influential starting in a conventional CM role.  We saw that in the Euros this summer too.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

…who knows, we might even see him play RWB, especially if Wilson needs to cover LWB with Pring out (who could be back today???)

I think it was apparent why Wilson has had minutes at LWB in pre-season.

The make up of our 7 subs might only allow one WB (FB), so with Wilson able to play either side, might mean we can be more flexible with our bench options.  Although if Pring is fit, he can cover LCB too…although I feel the more defensive his role is, the less it suits him.

I can't see us having all 4 of Wison, Tanner, Dasilva and Pring in an 18 man squad. 

3 of them for sure. 

Balance on the bench is likely to be

Keeper, CB, WB, CM, 10/ACM, CF, CF.

First game that looks like being

O'Leary, Vyner, Wilson / Tanner, Massengo, Scott, Wells, Conway

7 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I can't see us having all 4 of Wison, Tanner, Dasilva and Pring in an 18 man squad. 

3 of them for sure. 

Balance on the bench is likely to be

Keeper, CB, WB, CM, 10/ACM, CF, CF.

First game that looks like being

O'Leary, Vyner, Wilson / Tanner, Massengo, Scott, Wells, Conway

Vyner seems an odd choice there. Do you see all of Kalas, Klose, Atkinson and Naismith starting? I don't think he gets in the squad most of the time.

Just catching up on the pre season to date. Unbeaten in 5 albeit weighted for opposition to an extent.

Nice to see Conway among the goals- granted different between pre-season and the actual season and Championship v League One of course but that can only boost his confidence and he has plenty of room for growth on his side.

Tanner scoring v Cheltenham- good! Hopefully him and Wilson will drive each other on.

Sykes- from the little I've seen, looks lively. Scored and had some chances v Forest Green, a couple of key passes in different ways vs Portsmouth- versatile along the front?

Ohhhh and wonders will never cease- we actually got a penalty! Martin missed it...

Looks a happy camp too which is important.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, James54De said:

Totally disagree. A teenager playing in a number of positions is a good thing.  And it will add value.  

You also need to account for the strengths of more established team mates.

2 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

7E35A945-9A21-4AC3-B7C9-72C58093CE30.jpeg

4 at the back with Vyner at RB, Naismith and Atkinson CBs and then Dasilva at LB?

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would that be Sykes at wingback then? Trying to work out the formation from that.

Or this? Pop is right, that's a weird lineup to workout.

2 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Scott WB?

I'd kind of hoped that with him in the 7 shirt and with Wilson and Tanner fit we might have seen the end of Scott (or Weimann) filling in at R(W)B. But you're right, that could be what's happening here.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This one crossed my mind too- a sort of 4-3-3- or 4-3-1-2 with Scott as the '1'?

Something like that is what I thought yeh.

• Like 1