IGNORED

AFC Bournemouth pre-season friendly match-day thread

Jerseybean

59 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Wishing to wave the chequebook around again presumably?

I remember saying last season- Parker or Pearson? Pound for pound and this isn't just due to today, but due to inheriting from respective positions, restructuring of both the team and the balance sheet, tightening financial position vs parachutes- Pearson any and every day of the week.

Parker is okay to some extent- but I consider him to be rather overrated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

There is an in-house game next week…behind closed doors obviously….Pre-season being executed to plan, and also not giving away next week’s line-up.

I would assume this is to be played at Ashton Gate? 

Surely the new players need to be used to the pitch before Sunderland come to town 

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

I would assume this is to be played at Ashton Gate? 

Surely the new players need to be used to the pitch before Sunderland come to town 

Surely the pitches at the HPC are the same as AG…?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wishing to wave the chequebook around again presumably?

I remember saying last season- Parker or Pearson? Pound for pound and this isn't just due to today, but due to inheriting from respective positions, restructuring of both the team and the balance sheet, tightening financial position vs parachutes- Pearson any and every day of the week.

Parker is okay to some extent- but I consider him to be rather overrated.

Overrated by who? 

Certainly not by Fulham fans, or Bournemouth mostly.

Cant think of anybody that i know that rates him much.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Artcliffe exile said:

P boro 3 up to hull

if that means anything 

It quite literally means nothing......there have been so many instances of teams having outstanding pre season results, and then failing miserably when contesting real points in league games....with the opposite also being true......a lousy pre season, but excellent league results.  It is all about getting up to speed and fitness.  However our defensive record in friendlies seems to indicate that we have improved on last season?     But we shall see if it is an indicator or a fact very soon?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

It quite literally means nothing......there have been so many instances of teams having outstanding pre season results, and then failing miserably when contesting real points in league games....with the opposite also being true......a lousy pre season, but excellent league results.  It is all about getting up to speed and fitness.  However our defensive record in friendlies seems to indicate that we have improved on last season?     But we shall see if it is an indicator or a fact very soon?

Agree, that is all true.

If I am to take what I’ve seen into game one, is that our PSFs have all been played at a good intensity and feistiness.  None of this half-paced, possession-only crap we sometime see.  The players seem battle-hardened.

Of course it might all been thrown in the air next Saturday, but in terms of preparation, it’s looks like it’s gone pretty well.

A couple of observations and also reflections on seeing last year’s plan.

1. training camp is just that…there for training. No games affecting the sessions planned.
  2. Getting a full 90s into most players asap the matches start (even in the heat) - 20 players / 18 outfield achieved that, some more than one.

Again early days, but Rennie seems as important a signing as a player.  I’m looking forward to seeing Euell’s influence too.  Think he might afford Nige the opportunity to head upstairs during matches again.

• Like 4

Preseason results are largely meaningless, yes.

Preseason performances on the other hand can be a useful indicator of where the team is at.

Consensus seems to be we’ve looked better than we did ending the season, so that is a positive.

Obviously all goes out of the window if we play like a pack of strangers next week, but I’m hopeful.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree, that is all true.

If I am to take what I’ve seen into game one, is that our PSFs have all been played at a good intensity and feistiness.  None of this half-paced, possession-only crap we sometime see.  The players seem battle-hardened.

Of course it might all been thrown in the air next Saturday, but in terms of preparation, it’s looks like it’s gone pretty well.

A couple of observations and also reflections on seeing last year’s plan.

1. training camp is just that…there for training. No games affecting the sessions planned.
  2. Getting a full 90s into most players asap the matches start (even in the heat) - 20 players / 18 outfield achieved that, some more than one.

Again early days, but Rennie seems as important a signing as a player.  I’m looking forward to seeing Euell’s influence too.  Think he might afford Nige the opportunity to head upstairs during matches again.

Agree regarding Rennie - he’s a vital cog in our setup. . Also think that it’s been a positive playing our home PSFs at the HPC because the players have been able to enact NPs strategies without any conflicting pressure from the crowd. It’s also created greater anticipation amongst us supporters to get back to AG on matchdays. 

• Like 3

A good pre season is typically a good sign. Yes sometimes it doesn’t run into league form and sometimes a bad preseason does not preclude a good start. But put the sometimes apart, more often than not it’s a good sign entering the season. If we had, had a bad preseason the knob wits would be out in force telling us all about the manager, the fact that they are not (by and large) is a good sign too!!

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, that’s how I look at it.

So has a triallist debuted for a club if they play in a pre-season friendly but don't go on to sign a contract?

I say friendlies don't count as a debut. I'd include friendly "cups" like the Audi Cup or Johnson Cup.

Competitive only for a debut.

Edited by ExiledAjax

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

So has a triallist debuted for a club if they play in a pre-season friendly but don't go on to sign a contract?

I say friendlies don't count as a debut. I'd include friendly "cups" like the Audi Cup or Johnson Cup.

Competitive only for a debut.

Yep, that’s what I think.