IGNORED

Conway signs a 3 year deal

Unan

7 hours ago, MartockRed said:

Going into his last years of Schooling, despite numerous offers, Tommy refused to have a girlfriend as it could effect his focus getting where he wanted to be. 
Dedication right there kids, take note. 

Just imagine the world of disappointment he would have joined us in if had got a wife

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, MartockRed said:

Going into his last years of Schooling, despite numerous offers, Tommy refused to have a girlfriend as it could effect his focus getting where he wanted to be. 
Dedication right there kids, take note. 

I was much the same, in refusing to have a girlfriend.

Mind you, in my case choosing not to have a girlfriend was  a better option than the risk of Mrs Downend finding out! :D

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Logical-City said:

Slightly odd thing to bring up but hey ho

Self awareness of where you want to be from such a young age, what’s good or what’s bad for you, not doing the normal and different from what all your mates are doing etc. I suppose could be deemed a bit odd in itself. 

There are plenty examples of up and coming players wasting their talent, thinking they’ve already made it, or get their head turned by new riches and level of attention, or even lose their drive to improve for whatever reason. The point is I can’t see any of that happening with this lad. He’s a young’un but he’s totally focused, and has his head firmly screwed on. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MartockRed said:

Self awareness of where you want to be from such a young age, what’s good or what’s bad for you, not doing the normal and different from what all your mates are doing etc. I suppose could be deemed a bit odd in itself. 

There are plenty examples of up and coming players wasting their talent, thinking they’ve already made it, or get their head turned by new riches and level of attention, or even lose their drive to improve for whatever reason. The point is I can’t see any of that happening with this lad. He’s a young’un but he’s totally focused, and has his head firmly screwed on. 

Have to agree, remember his interview on 3Peaps and as soon as I understood he was being picked up from school in Taunton to go straight to training in Bristol, to stay overnight as a school boy for training at other times, having seen him score that goal against Millwall, I believed he was going to be our No.9.

This is also City's reward for sticking with the Academy formula when people,like myself, thought we could spend the money on 1st team squad instead.  (In fairness I was getting frustrated in the 3rd tier). ☺️

9 hours ago, Ally1971 said:

This is also City's reward for sticking with the Academy formula when people,like myself, thought we could spend the money on 1st team squad instead.  (In fairness I was getting frustrated in the 3rd tier). ☺️

Undoubtedly the academy has had ups and downs in terms of player usefulness to the first team, but I think even die hard supporters of idea like myself knew if we never managed to establish ourselves at at least championship level it may have ended up a luxury.

As it stands, could very well be part of the thing that saves us after our prior CEO’s slightly risky ‘buy low, sell high’ strategy went wrong.

Delighted with the players we’re seeing coming through now.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

I really think Conway’s development will be one of the key factors in how good a season we have. As it stands, we have a good team but the major weakness is a lack of depth up front.

Obviously that could change if Sykes adapts to this level or we find a way to get the best out of Wells but Conway stepping up and delivering on his potential would transform how strong our squad looks.