IGNORED

Louis Britton has his say ....

He seems to forget he was plying his trade for Magnotsfield before City gave him a chance. It didn't work out for him in the long run here but it gave him a decent platform to progress his career which hopefully he will do.

Complaining about it afterwards doesn't really come across well.

Sounds a bit like sour grapes to me.

I think if he was good enough and fit enough for where we are right now, he'd still be here. Conway, 2 years younger just landed a new 3 year deal.

The club don't often get these decisions wrong, time will tell as always.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm not sure why he and other fans think NP threw him under the bus.

Because he was scoring for the U23s and scored against Brentford, fans and journalists would have been asking why Britton wasn't being selected.

What else was NP supposed to say?

He gave his reason. ?

Nothing publically?...Should have kept it in house IMHO.  It's  not a great way to treat a young player trying to make his way in the game, and coming back from a MCL injury, that has left him playing catch up.  Pearson seems to have a habit of expressing things in public, that should maybe be kept within the club?

Edited by maxjak

@headhunter I've heard or seen you suggest several times he could play backup to Martin.

A very good finisher but he is not up to Championship standard in the rest of his game and athleticism, his loans suggest he is not even a decent lower league player yet.

He needs to be playing and best of luck to him. The fact that he is playing in the Irish 2nd Division says exactly where he is right now as a player.  I hope he goes on to have decent career, I suspect that will be either League 2 or lower.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Very different player to Chris Martin

Yes, he worked with Ian Eisentrager (son on Alec), who is / was a boxing trainer and former Army PE instructor.  I played with Ian at Odd Down, fit as a fiddle and very demanding.  I’ve seen pictures of Louis being trained by him.

Seem to….but that’s not the whole story.  Realising you’re going to be key go in the summer with a window shut, what do you do?  In fairness he’s got himself over to Ireland, where they run a summer season calendar so that he can get competitive games.  Initially on trial with Derry to get himself known over there, then to Waterford on trial.  With his contract ending with City, he’s decided that he’s better playing competitive football (now with Cork) until the summer season ends (in October).  He’s putting himself in the shop window.  He’s 3rd top scorer in the league.

image.png.1b5df6b75484c3b94d767c7657776475.png

West Brom sent their CB Kevin Joshua on loan there too.  Phoenix Patterson is a baller, I recommended him to Harry to pass on (ex-Watford and Spurs kid).

Kevin Joshua has been loaned from West Brom.  EFL clubs are scouting the Irish leagues heavily.  7 players have signed for EFL Lg1 clubs this window.  

When his contract runs out in October he will be free to move and not reliant on waiting for the Jan window.  It’s a gamble by Louis, but not without rationale.

Correct.

As above, gone out and gotten himself some competitive football and continued scoring goals.

Yep, I have no issue with City releasing him.  He’s behind Conway and Bell, who are both younger…and as Gary Owers said you have to watch the person below you…in this case Seb P-H.  The club don’t make many mistakes and if they judge all of these others potential greater it’s the right choice.

I’m just not writing off Louis Britton have a pro career in the EFL.  At 21 and the type of player he is he has time.

I’ve watched a fair few clips of George Hirst this summer and he’s not dissimilar to Louis in the way he plays, a bit untidy round the edges, but arms and elbows, and it’s taken him to 23 in the second half of last season to click.  He’s had a few crap loans, probably based on his name and not been up to much.  I hope Louis shows patience to try to get through the next 12-18 months, because the chance is still there.

pah! you and your rational arguments....

I say 'Burn the witch'

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Who told him that life was fair? 
You just get your head down and get on with it. 
I can understand his disappointment but football is a tough business and he needs fight for his place like all the other wannabes.

agree, but lets not pretend Big Nige hasn't got history of burning players he doesn't get on with, & not just at BCFC.

To be fair to the club, there are very few young players (or players in general) that are released and deemed "not good enough" that come back and bite us on the backside. I say not many, as there probably are one or two over the years, but I can't actually think of any currently (may be the covid fog I have though!)

Yes we have players that are poached and then prove decent enough, however that is different as there isn't a lot we can do about those.

Some players need to be released as it kicks them up the backside and makes them want to prove that they should have been kept, others just go down the leagues.

I hope Britton has a decent career, proves himself in Ireland and gets a decent move off the back of it. Facts show though, that he probably won't get back to this level.

As for the reported interest in League clubs that were interested in loans, if they were that interested then surely they would have taken him on once we released him? Even if they couldn't register him as outside of a window, surely he would have gone to train and get ready for the next available chance to register as a new player? 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Taz said:

To be fair to the club, there are very few young players (or players in general) that are released and deemed "not good enough" that come back and bite us on the backside. I say not many, as there probably are one or two over the years, but I can't actually think of any currently (may be the covid fog I have though!)

Yes we have players that are poached and then prove decent enough, however that is different as there isn't a lot we can do about those.

Some players need to be released as it kicks them up the backside and makes them want to prove that they should have been kept, others just go down the leagues.

I hope Britton has a decent career, proves himself in Ireland and gets a decent move off the back of it. Facts show though, that he probably won't get back to this level.

As for the reported interest in League clubs that were interested in loans, if they were that interested then surely they would have taken him on once we released him? Even if they couldn't register him as outside of a window, surely he would have gone to train and get ready for the next available chance to register as a new player? 

Good post, I can’t recall a single one.

Rolando Aarons was a possible at one point but his career seems to have gone down the drain.

• Like 1

It was a release that I found a little surprising.

Nige seems to like playing a big, strong, bustling forward and there were times last season where we played Martin to a near standstill. A few 20 minute sub cameos would have been useful to give Martin a break and given an opportunity to fully appraise the lad.

We still have no like-for-like back up for Martin, which given he’s a year older makes the decision to release even stranger.

Behind most of Nige’s decisions (notwithstanding a very few questionable subs, tactics, playing people out of position and incomings) but this player release is one I can’t quite fathom.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Nige seems to like playing a big, strong, bustling forward and there were times last season where we played Martin to a near standstill. A few 20 minute sub cameos would have been useful to give Martin a break and given an opportunity to fully appraise the lad.

We still have no like-for-like back up for Martin, which given he’s a year older makes the decision to release even stranger.

Behind most of Nige’s decisions (notwithstanding a very few questionable subs, tactics, playing people out of position and incomings) but this player release is one I can’t quite fathom.

Britton isn't like for like for Martin tho? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taz said:

To be fair to the club, there are very few young players (or players in general) that are released and deemed "not good enough" that come back and bite us on the backside

Trevor Francis was a notable one from the dawn of time. Not that we ever deemed him worthy to be on our books after his trial with us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

I don't see the comparison in playing styles so not like for like in my eyes.

Simply Britton is not good enough at our level, he isn't/wasn't even our best youth striker hence seeing Bell an Conway given opportunities from the bench. 

• Like 1

I appreciate he's disappointed, but there's a reason that L2 and L1 teams said "pass" and he ended up in Ireland. However, no doubt Tinman will keep an eye out for him, should he come back to prove us wrong. I wish him well, but this article is a bit...petulant.

4 hours ago, headhunter said:

Bristol Live "exclusive"

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/louis-britton-bristol-city-criticism-7364951

Harshly treated by Nige? Would have offered that back up for Martin that most seem to be calling for.

If he were good enough to be back up for Martin, then L1 and L2 clubs would have fallen over themselves to pick up his contract.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Trevor Francis was a notable one from the dawn of time. Not that we ever deemed him worthy to be on our books after his trial with us. 

Not what happened though. I remember being in the room when Les Beardsley told my dad that..  Francis came and trained, played as a trialist for two weeks and did well. Dick's wanted to sign him, but Francis claimed he was home sick for Plymouth and "went home".

Three weeks later he signed for Birmingham City, so unless he overcame his homesickness very quickly, it seems he was "tapped up" by someone from Brum and made his excuses to get out of signing for us.

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

If he were good enough to be back up for Martin, then L1 and L2 clubs would have fallen over themselves to pick up his contract.

I'd put money....if i had any?........on Louis ending up in the 1st or 2nd Division in England within a year.  He is building up his Reputation in Ireland, and will be snapped up within a 12 month IMHO.    

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Not what happened though. I remember being in the room when Les Beardsley told my dad that..  Francis came and trained, played as a trialist for two weeks and did well. Dick's wanted to sign him, but Francis claimed he was home sick for Plymouth and "went home".

Three weeks later he signed for Birmingham City, so unless he overcame his homesickness very quickly, it seems he was "tapped up" by someone from Brum and made his excuses to get out of signing for us.

You are correct, but nonetheless he was one of the many that got away.  Brum had been a more successful club than us in the mid-60s, but by 69/70 they weren't. We should have been a more attractive prospect. 

4 hours ago, maxjak said:

Nothing publically?...Should have kept it in house IMHO.  It's  not a great way to treat a young player trying to make his way in the game, and coming back from a MCL injury, that has left him playing catch up.  Pearson seems to have a habit of expressing things in public, that should maybe be kept within the club?

So when asked...what was NP supposed to say?

A lie?

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

You've lost me mate. Can you explain?

I think there’s a strange obsession with the lad in comparison with others we have released. If we’d released him and he had his pick of six or seven clubs I could understand the general sentiment which seems to be we’ve made a monumental error releasing him.

He could go on to prove the club wrong but if I was him I’d button it and get on with the job of proving it….,

Edited by Numero Uno

The title of the Bristol Live article say's he is setting the record straight, but he has proved nothing yet. He says he was fit, but we didn't think so, he is having a bit of success in a what is basically a part-time league, let's see if that gets him a proper job somewhere.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think there’s a strange obsession with the lad in comparison with others we have released. If we’d released him and he had his pick of six or seven clubs I could understand the general sentiment which seems to be we’ve made a monumental error releasing him.

He could go on to prove the club wrong but if I was him I’d button it and get on with the job of proving it….,

Ah right...got ya. ?

My observation is he's a natural goal scorer. Knows where to be. But that opinion is only based on what I witnessed in U 23s.

I also observed that he's not a natural athlete and would struggle to keep fit at a level that was required at Championship standard. 

JET was the same...gifted footballer, but struggled for fitness at certain levels.

You can train as hard as you like, but if genetics only allow you to get so far...it is what it is...sadly.

I've watched and played football since my youth...and I would honestly say the most gifted footballers I've played with or watched have all struggled with fitness and keeping fit...not natural athletes...yet had an eye, skill, read a game, touch, feel, shot, body movement and shape...but run intensely for 90 minutes...no chance.

No amount of training could get them further than the limits on their body.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

From memory, city have never released a player who has then gone on to play at a better level. I’m sure someone will name one or maybe two but I certainly can’t think of any.  

I can remember people saying we would regret releasing Scott Brown, Vince Harper, Joe Morrell, Shaun McCousky, James Wilson, Wes Burns, Christian Ribeiro.  Probably loads more. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

From memory, city have never released a player who has then gone on to play at a better level. I’m sure someone will name one or maybe two but I certainly can’t think of any.  

I can remember people saying we would regret releasing Scott Brown, Vince Harper, Joe Morrell, Shaun McCousky, James Wilson, Wes Burns, Christian Ribeiro.  Probably loads more. 

Liam Walsh, Bas Savage……….,

• Like 1