IGNORED

Have your say! SC&T 2022 Survey

Blagdon red

6 minutes ago, thatcham red said:

Thanks everyone for feeding back on this, Agreed, it isn't perfect, but we can use the learning for future years.

Good points about geography, including questions relating to older fans, the disabled and stewarding. I guess we were a bit conscious of how long it was getting.

And yes, it did take a long time to compile!

Cheers

Might be an idea to scrap that survey and to do another one.

An example being the question around racism.

In theory, however many thousand who were in attendance when we played Millwall at home would have heard them booing players taking the knee. (And I believe there have been home fans who don't support the jesture either), so it will either be a case of people not thinking about what constitutes racism, or Ashton Gate being as tolerant as a Trump rally when the results get published.

Splitting the men and women's teams in to two different surveys would also be useful.

Appreciate that a lot of time probably went in to preparing it, but I can't see the results telling a story that reflects the thoughts of anyone.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Might be an idea to scrap that survey and to do another one.

An example being the question around racism.

In theory, however many thousand who were in attendance when we played Millwall at home would have heard them booing players taking the knee. (And I believe there have been home fans who don't support the jesture either), so it will either be a case of people not thinking about what constitutes racism, or Ashton Gate being as tolerant as a Trump rally when the results get published.

Splitting the men and women's teams in to two different surveys would also be useful.

Appreciate that a lot of time probably went in to preparing it, but I can't see the results telling a story that reflects the thoughts of anyone.

Having been trained in the art of developing questionnaires, I  doubt ifit was written by a professional in this line of business. 

A good try by someone within BCFC but I left too many blank questions. As already pointed out, I heard massive amounts of horrible racist abuse directed at a Forest player. I decided not to answer it as it was when we were in the old First Div over 40 years ago. Yet the question said Had I Ever Heard at the Gate. We've moved on since 1979 and had I answered Yes the survey report could have serious misleading answers based in this question alone.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TBW said:

Another is to make a survey as simple and intuitive to the MAJORITY as possible. And the majority do not give a ****.

Honestly, I used to think like this as well. It really annoyed me that the women's team was promoted and pushed by the Club. I liked football as a bloke's sport, I also thought that the majority should rule and touted that as a reason to ignore and disregard the women's side of things.

Then I spoke to a few people who do like women's football, and who like the City women's team. Speaking to them changed my mind on it. It's part of the Club, the Club that is forever evolving and changing. It's healthy to have that evolution, and it's good.

At the same time this SC&T survey is prepared and distributed by volunteers who do it for free because they love our Club. Again I used to have certain views of the SC&T, and again actually engaging with them and speaking to them has changed those views.

It's a survey. You can skip bits, and you can choose to move on and do something else that makes you feel positive. Next year maybe you could offer to help prepare the survey, I know the SC&T guys would welcome any help they can get. Then it could be better, gather better data, and help inform in a superior way.

PS. I'm sorry for the annoyance caused by the TED talk comment. That was clearly a step too far.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Honestly, I used to think like this as well. It really annoyed me that the women's team was promoted and pushed by the Club. I liked football as a bloke's sport, I also thought that the majority should rule and touted that as a reason to ignore and disregard the women's side of things.

Then I spoke to a few people who do like women's football, and who like the City women's team. Speaking to them changed my mind on it. It's part of the Club, the Club that is forever evolving and changing. It's healthy to have that evolution, and it's good.

At the same time this SC&T survey is prepared and distributed by volunteers who do it for free because they love our Club. Again I used to have certain views of the SC&T, and again actually engaging with them and speaking to them has changed those views.

It's a survey. You can skip bits, and you can choose to move on and do something else that makes you feel positive. Next year maybe you could offer to help prepare the survey, I know the SC&T guys would welcome any help they can get. Then it could be better, gather better data, and help inform in a superior way.

PS. I'm sorry for the annoyance caused by the TED talk comment. That was clearly a step too far.

I'm not disregarding them, I'm saying they two surveys shouldn't be mixed together like they are.

Most fans of this club don't particularly care about how the women's team do. You can tell this simply by looking at attendances. We grew up supporting the main Bristol City team, we've been with them through thick and thin. The women's team... we can't be expected to just have a passion for them out of nowhere just because they're associated. Typically, radio button survey enforce you to select an answer, it's just what you get used to over years and because of this people will select something to bypass the women's sections of the survey, not realising they could've left it blank. By doing so they are negatively effecting the results - If they select something, they effect it negatively... If they leave it blank, the people viewing the results don't know if it's because the person filling the survey doesn't care or genuinely just isn't sure of a response.

The best way to get distinct results is to separate the surveys. Sure, add the women's one on the end, have it say "WOULD YOU HAVE FIVE MORE MINUTES TO ANSWER MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT BCFC WOMEN?" and let it go through to it. If people say no, they don't give a shit and won't negatively effect the results. It's as simple as that. Having a mish-mash back-and-forth between the two clubs in the survey is a mess, it's confusing and gets you out of thinking deeply about one subject. The two clubs are not one subject... if they were, the questions wouldn't need to be asked twice in the first place.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TBW said:

I'm not disregarding them, I'm saying they two surveys shouldn't be mixed together like they are.

Most fans of this club don't particularly care about how the women's team do. You can tell this simply by looking at attendances. We grew up supporting the main Bristol City team, we've been with them through thick and thin. The women's team... we can't be expected to just have a passion for them out of nowhere just because they're associated. Typically, radio button survey enforce you to select an answer, it's just what you get used to over years and because of this people will select something to bypass the women's sections of the survey, not realising they could've left it blank. By doing so they are negatively effecting the results - If they select something, they effect it negatively... If they leave it blank, the people viewing the results don't know if it's because the person filling the survey doesn't care or genuinely just isn't sure of a response.

The best way to get distinct results is to separate the surveys. Sure, add the women's one on the end, have it say "WOULD YOU HAVE FIVE MORE MINUTES TO ANSWER MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT BCFC WOMEN?" and let it go through to it. If people say no, they don't give a shit and won't negatively effect the results. It's as simple as that. Having a mish-mash back-and-forth between the two clubs in the survey is a mess, it's confusing and gets you out of thinking deeply about one subject. The two clubs are not one subject... if they were, the questions wouldn't need to be asked twice in the first place.

It sounds like you'd be a really helpful contributor when next season's survey needs preparing. I'd suggest you reach out towards the end of next season and see if they'd like your help at that stage.

If you ever wish to know how not to construct au unbiased survey, this is about as fine an example as you might ever find. It demonstrates why football fans attempting to run/influence football clubs isn't necessarily a good idea.

Pretty much all its questions are meaningless. They're constructed against assumptions and constraints not stated. Where time limited, they wholly ignore pre-requisite factors that negate the question posed. Other questions solicit opinion against premise(s) the stated conclusion for which is not logically derived. Ditto 'comparison questions' which highlight a single factor not wholly influencing the outcome referenced.

Why be concerned? The problem with this is the SC&T will use survey responses to justify the clear position they've already adopted, claiming them to reflect 'the fans' views when in reality they are nothing of the sort, they'll be skewed answers to skewed questions.

• Like 1

Personally I feel as if there should be something in place about clubs and their stadiums. Maybe not to the extreme of thr Chelsea Pitch Owners but some sort of protection needs to be brought in. 

I think that is one of the greatest threats to football clubs. 

For example look at the mess Coventry are in. They were supposed to sell Highfield Rd to help fund the new arena and would have been given a 50% share. Instead their owners used the money from the sell to try to fund premier survival. 

That backfired and they were relegated and then had to pay 1.2 million a year rent. Eventually they refused to pay that and moved out of Cov twice and went into admin. 

This season they had all them games called off because of the pitch and now the future of the arena is in doubt now that Wasps have gone bust. Coventry can't afford to build a new stadium of their own so now they are at the mercy of whoever purchases the arena. 

Had there of been something to prevent their former owners selling off Highfield Rd then all of this would have been avoided. 

There needs to be legal protections put into place. 

An update from the Supporters Club & Trust

The Supporters Club & Trust are looking for someone to work with us in structuring our next Supporters Survey for 2023, as well as evaluating our remaining results from our 2022 Supporters Survey. We shared the first set of results HERE

If you are interested in assisting us; or know someone who may be; please get in touch with us at info@bristolcitysupporters.org