IGNORED

Live music in Fanzone

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

This approach could confuse a generation of drummers.

1-2-3-4....

No. Red Billy has suggested we start on 3.

Chaos.

When 

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

This approach could confuse a generation of drummers.

1-2-3-4....

No. Red Billy has suggested we start on 3.

Chaos.

At my son's graduation for a degree based on music and sound and audio technology the photographer requested the cloak and mortar board clad group to toss their head gear into the air on the count of 3 and he would get the usual graduation photo. They all fell about laughing telling him it would only happen on the count of 4.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Hopefully around 9am with some of the ‘talent’that has been down there so we don’t have to listen come around 2ish 

Tbf - having live bands prior to the game is an excellent idea regardless of how good or bad they are and adds to the pre match atmosphere.

i really like it. I’m not sure how many other clubs do the same.

• Like 8

• Admin
On 22/07/2022 at 14:27, Tinmans Love Child said:

Hi, does anyone have a contact for who books bands to play in the fanzone before games?

Thanks

I'd liase with Jerry as a starting point 

I'd be interested in the answer too, gave details of a few acts a while ago but they never hear anything recently (these were decent bands and not dropped because of quality) 

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Tbf - having live bands prior to the game is an excellent idea regardless of how good or bad they are and adds to the pre match atmosphere.

I agree but some have been shocking,surely there should be a process where they are actually heard by someone at the club before sticking them up there,sounds like a good format for a tv program to me 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Pretty sure the 15ers have started copying us. Now, there's a thing !

3 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I agree but some have been shocking,surely there should be a process where they are actually heard by someone at the club before sticking them up there,sounds like a good format for a tv program to me 

TBF I'm not sure what you expect. Not all the bands are to my taste but they have to cater for a wide range of musical styles. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Thanks, sorry who is Jerry is he on here?

Good luck in getting a quick reply from him.

Check out Hoggans Promotions on Facebook.  They manage quite a lot of the live music in bars in Bristol. They covered the fan zone a few times last season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I expect someone to be able to sing,I love all types of music so that’s not a problem for me 

Fair enough I know what you mean but even singers are a matter of taste. For example I don't think Bono or the whiny Manc Liam Gallagher can sing but some, presumably tone deaf, people seem to like them. Bob Dylan, who is a genius for me, wouldn't win any singing contests but it seems to suit his music. 

• Like 1

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Fair enough I know what you mean but even singers are a matter of taste. For example I don't think Bono or the whiny Manc Liam Gallagher can sing but some, presumably tone deaf, people seem to like them. Bob Dylan, who is a genius for me, wouldn't win any singing contests but it seems to suit his music. 

I agree but having a crap song with a crap voice doesn’t go down well,might as well have me and you up there singing lip up fatty

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have always liked the idea of the bands because it has the potential to showcase local talent, but like a lot of things you feel more could be done, like a little more information about the bands that play. That could be down to the bands themselves though, a bit of self publicity (flyers or information board by the stage).

I understand what some are saying about the quality, but presumably we will always have bands that are at different stages of their careers so it will always vary.

Regarding the quality, as I'm passing the stage there is occasionally something that makes me stop to listen. It's s rarely about the obvious, singers or lead guitar, but the drummer. If the drummer is reasonably competent, it brings the quality of the whole sound up a notch in my opinion.

On 22/07/2022 at 14:27, Tinmans Love Child said:

Hi, does anyone have a contact for who books bands to play in the fanzone before games?

Thanks

The booking agent is Hoggans Promotions tel 07923 827352. He's based in Aztec West and books most of the pubs in the Bristol Area.
My band has played the fanzone which was booked via Brian Hoggans. TBH it's a nightmare for parking as you don't really get any so loading in and out is challenging.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

TBF I'm not sure what you expect. Not all the bands are to my taste but they have to cater for a wide range of musical styles. 

That bloke Elton John was particularly poor. Hope they can get something better this season.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Philly The Kid said:

The booking agent is Hoggans Promotions tel 07923 827352. He's based in Aztec West and books most of the pubs in the Bristol Area.
My band has played the fanzone which was booked via Brian Hoggans. TBH it's a nightmare for parking as you don't really get any so loading in and out is challenging.

I’m on it, I’d actually booked some gigs through him previously, but we haven’t gigged much last couple of years for obvious reasons so have been out of the loop.  Loading of gear is the worst bit of being in a band, the worst was playing a wedding on the SS Great Britain, the room we were in meant we had to walk the length of the boat first then go through little doors, up some tiny steps and then walk the length of the boat again!  No joke with a heavy 100w Orange valve amp!

Edited by Tinmans Love Child
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I have always liked the idea of the bands because it has the potential to showcase local talent, but like a lot of things you feel more could be done, like a little more information about the bands that play. That could be down to the bands themselves though, a bit of self publicity (flyers or information board by the stage).

I understand what some are saying about the quality, but presumably we will always have bands that are at different stages of their careers so it will always vary.

Regarding the quality, as I'm passing the stage there is occasionally something that makes me stop to listen. It's s rarely about the obvious, singers or lead guitar, but the drummer. If the drummer is reasonably competent, it brings the quality of the whole sound up a notch in my opinion.

Agree, a tight rhythm section is key, the bass and drums have to be both locked in tight and consistent, however a terrible singer or lead guitarist can ruin any band!  My band has been going for 25 years or so now, same line up, so It’s almost second nature really, so when an inevitable mistake happens, we can usually carry on through!