IGNORED

Vyner - second chance

citywest30

More lives than a cat has Zak.

I want all our players to succeed but I am struggling with him.

No matter how much coaching you have, natural instinct counts for a lot and he just seems to be off of it. Switches off, gets caught out, and very wasteful with the ball too.

I trust Nige though so he must see a player in there, although everyone seems to and ultimately gets let down.

• Like 4

I'd say relatively low cost, I assume, can play a few positions- cover and utility, no he's not perfect but we are walking a bit of a financial tightrope- and we all know how things have been for us with injuries in recent years which is where multiple positions and relatively low cost kick in.

If we get an acceptable bid then sure, but if not there's no point in freezing him out entirely provided his attitude okay.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd say relatively low cost, I assume, can play a few positions- cover and utility, no he's not perfect but we are walking a bit of a financial tightrope- and we all know how things have been for us with injuries in recent years which is where multiple positions and relatively low cost kick in.

If we get an acceptable bid then sure, but if not there's no point in freezing him out entirely provided his attitude okay.

We know with Nige that if your attitude isn't on point you don't get minutes........not for very long anyway. His problem is concentrating fully for the WHOLE 96 minutes.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Also worth pointing out his availability record.

Pretty sure him & Nakhi were the only 2 players to feature in every squad in the pandemic hit season.

Last year he didn’t play so much but think he was available 45/46 games.

With such small numbers, a fair few of our 31 with squad numbers have little league experience, that’s useful.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Also worth pointing out his availability record.

Pretty sure him & Nakhi were the only 2 players to feature in every squad in the pandemic hit season.

Last year he didn’t play so much but think he was available 45/46 games.

With such small numbers, a fair few of our 31 with squad numbers have little league experience, that’s useful.

Pearson is nothing if not pragmatic and the above will be a strong consideration.

• Like 2

I think it’s more to do with being in the shop window and giving everyone game time at this stage.

It’s also worth considering he’s the only ‘natural’ right sided defender fit that can currently play on the right of a back 3. Klose playing their isn’t ideal. He’s not up to it at this level, we all know that. It’s best for all parties he moves on but at present his versatility, availability & low wages means we aren’t in a rush to get rid. I will be very surprised & worried if he starts many this season. 

2 hours ago, citywest30 said:

Looking like Vyner seems to be starting a lot of games. Anyone else feel like he's been given another chance after being bombed out last season? Heard him and Dasilva involved in stuff with Bakinson but looks like he's taken his chance to prove he has the right attitude.

Not for me. He has been given more than enough opportunities IMO. 

• Like 2

I would imagine that Zak is currently filling in as RCB and will be replaced when Kalas is fit and ready to play. Klose has had some difficult moments playing RCB in pre season so it might be Zac v Hull. I would imagine Naismith has been charged with organising him and making sure he stays switched on. If he can keep his concentration he is a capable squad player at this level imho.

• Like 6

I still like him. As said he is a cheap and versatile option. Isn’t there a rule you have to have so many club grown players in your match day squad? Granted that isn’t a massive issue at the minute.

I never understood the hate for him. He is probably a very good L1 player which makes him a good championship rotation player. If he has to play 30 times then your season probably isn’t the best. If you have a couple cbs out and need someone to throw in there there probably aren’t many better options from the bench in the division. Also think he is one of our better passers from back there. He will give it away because he can pop one into someones feet 30 yards away. He can hit that perfect ball over the top of the defence to a runner(cardiff away last season). Because he can do it he will have a few go astray. 

Not saying he should be starting for us. Just that for the money he is probably on and the versatility he offers, I can't understand why people are so quick to want rid of him. Towler and Idehen are good prospects but they would probably be more of a liability in a long term role than Vyner at this point. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, citywest30 said:

Looking like Vyner seems to be starting a lot of games. Anyone else feel like he's been given another chance after being bombed out last season? Heard him and Dasilva involved in stuff with Bakinson but looks like he's taken his chance to prove he has the right attitude.

He hasn’t got the aggression in him to be a consistently effective defender at this level, he’s a good footballer but you only have to look as far as our new defender from Luton to see what he will never be it’s just not in him

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Logical-City said:

He hasn’t got the aggression in him to be a consistently effective defender at this level, he’s a good footballer but you only have to look as far as our new defender from Luton to see what he will never be it’s just not in him

That for me is his biggest failing…needs to be more aggressive, both aerially and on the deck.

With a talker alongside him like Naismith or Klose we might see less switching off.

As @JoeAman08says, he’s cheap cover…at least until we bring in better.

• Like 5

There's usually the odd underhit back pass or just a total failure to pick up a goal threat, from Zak. He'll have a decent 89 minutes, but the minutes he has switched off for have cost us numerous goals.

I guess if no one wanted him, we're stuck with him for a while, but my heart sinks a bit when I see his name on the team sheet. 

• Like 5

A lot of opinion on Vyner's past performances and issues. Can anyone, who saw it. give an appraisal of his performance today?

I always think people get better with experience and with age, the fact he has a few starts under his belt may mean Mr Pearson thinks the same

3 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

However I think this is shop window stuff, more than owt.

I really can’t believe that Nige is only playing Zak in order to drum up interest in him - this isn’t his MO. If Nige doesn’t like a player, he doesn’t get anywhere near the pitch. Simple as.

if he’s playing him, it’s because he wants to how / where he can be used in the team.

• Like 1

A blessing to Zak may be our current lack of options at RCB. When Kalas returns, Vyner will be pushed down the pecking order again. 

Most of our centre backs prefer to play on the left hand side. And Klose does not look the same player when played out of position. 

Our main options, other than Vyner are:

Kalas (RCB - Injured)

Naismith (CB or LCB)

Atkinson (LCB)

Klose (LCB)

Idehen (LCB or CB)

Towler (LCB or CB)

• Like 1

He's squad filla, no killa.

Under contract, probably no affordable upgrade options around. Kind of stuck with him opinions aside.

He'll be needed as the season rolls on. Tidy footballer, just needs to stop those punishable mistakes.

14 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

A lot of opinion on Vyner's past performances and issues. Can anyone, who saw it. give an appraisal of his performance today?

I always think people get better with experience and with age, the fact he has a few starts under his belt may mean Mr Pearson thinks the same

I am reminding all again about one of City's best defenders a long time ago.

Gordon Part made his debut in 1957 but did not become a regular first choice until 1964/5 when he was approaching 25 years.

I'm not saying Vyner will replicate his City career but let's just remind ourselves that players make the grade at various ages from 16 to 25/26. Vardy at Leicester was around that age when he blossomed, so why not Vyner?

Nigel would not be selecting him if he thought he isn't good enough!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

I am reminding all again about one of City's best defenders a long time ago.

Gordon Part made his debut in 1957 but did not become a regular first choice until 1964/5 when he was approaching 25 years.

I'm not saying Vyner will replicate his City career but let's just remind ourselves that players make the grade at various ages from 16 to 25/26. Vardy at Leicester was around that age when he blossomed, so why not Vyner?

Nigel would not be selecting him if he thought he isn't good enough!

That is the way I see it. We don't have the type of injury problems that might force Mr Pearson's hand, therefore he is getting minutes as he is part of the squad plan at least.