IGNORED

Stoney Garnett RIP

weepywall

The most dapper man in the Dolman Stand - and always had time to share some fantastical story or weave some incredible joke if you met him in the pub home or away. I remember one off season on a hot summers day drinking down the Nova and he had about ten of us enthralled as he told this tale of he and his mates randomly entering a boat race on the docks for a bet. I can't for the life of me remember the punchline but he told it with such timing and theatre and that cheeky grin on his face that we were all falling about long before we ever found out what happened in the race.

What a terrible year for losing legends from among our supporters. RIP Stoney.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

Also, whenever we have a corner in front of the Atyeo and we have everyone back, I always instantly think of Stoney storming to the front of Dolman Block A and screaming for someone to get on the halfway line. Every single time. Without fail. It stopped a few years back but mainly because we largely keep someone up, I'd like to think Stoney got his way.

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

My dad knew him and would always say hello in the late-90s and 2000s. Never knew how he knew him but always seemed to have a nice catch-up.

My dad passed about seven years ago now. Losing all the faces I knew from the ground as a kid.

• Like 1

I only met Stoney once.  Fulham away in 2016 as the Mayoral election was starting to happen.  I'd met  a Fulham supporting friend and his 2 daughters before the game in a cafe bar sort of thing.  He must've recognised me so went into his campaigning spiel in front of a load of bemused London types.  Shook hands and took his leaflet as you do then he disappeared .  Couple of people asked me who's that, I said he's the next Mayor of Bristol.  Looks I got from them were priceless.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

24 minutes ago, Olé said:

Also, whenever we have a corner in front of the Atyeo and we have everyone back, I always instantly think of Stoney storming to the front of Dolman Block A and screaming for someone to get on the halfway line. Every single time. Without fail. It stopped a few years back but mainly because we largely keep someone up, I'd like to think Stoney got his way.

The guy's still making us laugh, after he's dead!

I echo what others have said that if ever there is a case for the club playing a special tribute, it is now, for Stoney. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Olé said:

That will be my lasting memory of him...like you say...everytime.

Part of the Bristol City fabric.

• Like 2

RIP Stoney. Echo all the sentiments above. 

If there ever was a fan deserving of a permanent tribute within the stadium it’s Stoney. He really was part of the Ashton Gate. furniture. Perhaps his seat in the Dolman could be plaqued, or a flag in his honour hung up in the A block.

City legend, so many memories. RIP

First saw Stoney when he did standup at our cricket club in the ‘80s. Seen him since at many games, home and away, over the years and it was always a pleasure. 

Heaven will be a happier, better place today with his arrival. Rest peacefully there, Stoney. Sincere condolences to his family. 

CTYD Stoney. CTID. 

• Robin 1

48 minutes ago, Olé said:

Well said @Olé superb anecdotes!

30 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Repeating what everyone else has written - a true legendary supporter who was instantly recognisable, always wanting to make people laugh and smile.

Rest easy.

One Stoney Garnett, there's only one Stoney Garnett!

Got to be sung for the first home game!

• Like 2