IGNORED

Stoney Garnett RIP

weepywall

RIP …. A real character, I did not know him personally but seeing him at so many away games over the years it seemed that he always spread a little happiness. I remember Fulham A in recent times when a hard tackle came in during the first minute and he screamed out “all game ref, he’s been doing it all game”. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Very sad news. I remember being in the Inns Court pub back in the day. Stoney walked in and up to the bar . Pulled a violin out from its case ,went through the motion of trying to place a hankercheif just right on his shoulder before placing the violin in place. Then plucking a string as if to tune it . Stopping to crack jokes before going through the whole procedure again and again and again. He never played the instrument but had us all in fits at the performance. We both played for Broad Plain House . Stoney was playing in goal this game,away at Henbury on a freezing day. Broad Plain were about 6 up in the 2nd half and snow was in the air. It was one way traffic till our opponents broke away , we turned to face our goal but there was no sign of Stoney. He decided to go and get changed as there was no point in freezing himself as the game was won.  I'll remember his 'gentlemen's evenings and his 'extra's appearances in films. His bus conductor bit part where he actually got to say a line and him in Welsh Back filming as a German soldier extra.  As so many have said he was a real character and true legend.  The goal he scored as a referee made the national newspapers. It is no myth. He scored  a header from a corner for a team who were getting hammered. Nice one Stoney. RIP

• Like 11

• Admin

Sad news indeed, my first experience of Stoney would be 40 or so years ago, when he compered a Gentleman’s evening in The Raymend Hotel, near Victoria Park.  Our paths crossed many times since then, at football and in various watering holes in Bristol, often had a chat with him as I bumped into him around Whitchurch.

I recall the Black Lion (Maesknoll Toby Carvery) had many pictures of Stoney’s film appearances and TV clips, a huge character who has touched many peoples hearts and will be sadly missed.

Condolences to Stoney’s family.

Can remember seeing him most days stood on the corner of Ridgeway Lane / Wharnecliffe Gardens on my way to work, with the customary mutual thumbs up, or in The Yeoman.  Not sure about anyone else but he didn't have to say anything at all to make me laugh, just the way he swanned about was enough!  Can't believe he's gone, thought I'd go before him and I'm only 47.

My memory might be playing tricks, but I'm pretty sure he read out the teams once at Ashton Gate over the PA, would have been early 90s and I'm certain the opposition was Tranmere.  There I was sat in my seat waiting for the teams to be announced, then his tones came over the PA instead of Phil Tottle's "in gawl, Eric Nixon" etc.

• Like 1

RIP Stoney,

many years ago the supporters club sometimes had a deal with the clubs of other teams allowing us to drink in their bars.we played Cambridge utd away and Stoney did a turn on evening after the match he went down very well.I don’t know how much they understood his accent but they were rolling about laughing. Great man will be sadly missed.

I remember catching the 376 from Gilda Parade (opposite the Yeoman) down to Temple Meads one Saturday morning. I was sat next to Stoney chatting and he told me that on the morning of the first Bristol mayoral election a chauffeur driven car was sent to his place for him to use for the day, to get him around the polling stations. (As he was up against old red trousers for City Mayor) When it turned up and he was  leaving his place, the postie was just going up to his door, so handed him his mail. Amongst the letters was a court summons for non payment of council tax. He still got my vote. :laugh:.

Edited by Slack Bladder

Bumped in to him outside a pub in Rotherham a few years back. The lads on his coach had decamped early for a more discreet entry, leaving him to arrive on his own on an otherwise empty coach.

So we went for a pint. They only had Strongbow (or Wrongbow as he called it). So Stoney was topping it up with cans of the good stuff that he had secreted in the inside pockets of his overcoat, like a dodgy watch salesman.

A great character who would always say hello and stop for a chat.

He will be missed by many I am sure.

• Like 4

Such sad news .

So many memories of the funny man especially on Shems coach and trains up and down the country.

He always came past us in the Wedlock’s bar pre match and a handshake here a handshake there.Almost like an audience with the pope.

R.I.P funny man

fav jokes “ don’t smell like come to me”

and the one almost coming home pissed up and his mrs snoring

top man.

There is a clip on YouTube proper vhs camcorder like but great xxx