IGNORED

Lap Top Question

Markman

Some good tips from my fellow City Fans over the years thanks

So - Mrs Markman wants a basic laptop (not phone) where she can shop and email from - it won't be used for games or anything high spec - just shops, gmail and banking etc

We just want something that fires up quickly and is easy to use - any suggestions (e.g do we need a lap top or would a fire stick or something do)

Probably only need a tablet for that sort of thing. Far more user friendly and something in the £150-200 range would do everything she needs and still be pretty quick.

I couldn't recommend anything specific but go with a known manufacturer, they'll all be running Android as an operating system. All touch screen and apps are easy to install and use.

• Like 2

If it helps, my work provides me with a Samsung A Tab for work, but it is used for streaming apps and games as well. This tablet is nearly 6 years old, works plenty fast enough, has a good battery (still) and hasn’t crashed or missed a beat since.

So as mentioned, a tablet can easily do the job and at a reasonable price.

• Like 1

As others have said, it sounds like she only needs a tablet.

You can pick up Amazon Fire tablets for less than £100. Obviously at that price they are not top of the range, but they are decent for email/shopping.

If you want something higher end, then as swanker says, an iPad would be perfect. 

• Like 1

If your set on a laptop though, maybe try a chrome book? More basic than a laptop (no disc drive), but if you want one at some point get an external drive.

From what you say, a decent tablet would probably be just as good.

• Like 1

I'm gunna break the mould and say tablets ******* suck.

You've specifically said "not phone" above and a tablet is just a big phone without a SIM card. My nan told me a few years ago she wanted a new device and I told her again and again GET A LAPTOP and she's regretted ignoring me ever since. Typing emails on a touchscreen, typing anything in a word document or if she ever wants the flexibility to use Excel or anything the user experience on a tablet is poor at best.

If she wants a laptop, get her a laptop. Nothing beats using a mouse and having an actual keyboard.

That said, for a laptop you probably don't need to worry too much on requirements as she won't be using it for big things like gaming so getting advice at Currys will probably do the job. Usual thing, don't go too expensive, don't go too cheap. Pick a brand you trust the name of. You're probably good.

Additionally... I'm not sure you realise what a Fire Stick is. Or, you maybe got the name wrong and mean Fire Tab. A Fire STICK plugs into your TV to watch Prime Video and such.

Edited by TBW
  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

On 30/07/2022 at 09:04, TBW said:

I'm gunna break the mould and say tablets ******* suck.

You've specifically said "not phone" above and a tablet is just a big phone without a SIM card. My nan told me a few years ago she wanted a new device and I told her again and again GET A LAPTOP and she's regretted ignoring me ever since. Typing emails on a touchscreen, typing anything in a word document or if she ever wants the flexibility to use Excel or anything the user experience on a tablet is poor at best.

If she wants a laptop, get her a laptop. Nothing beats using a mouse and having an actual keyboard.

That said, for a laptop you probably don't need to worry too much on requirements as she won't be using it for big things like gaming so getting advice at Currys will probably do the job. Usual thing, don't go too expensive, don't go too cheap. Pick a brand you trust the name of. You're probably good.

Additionally... I'm not sure you realise what a Fire Stick is. Or, you maybe got the name wrong and mean Fire Tab. A Fire STICK plugs into your TV to watch Prime Video and such.

If somebody wants a device for stuff like excel then I'd agree with getting a cheap laptop.

For things like shopping/web browsing though? I'm not convinced a laptop is a better option, they are more expensive and are not any more user friendly.

There are also plenty of cheap keyboards out there with tablet docks if somebody wants to type a long email and doesn't want to use the touchscreen to type.

Not really a laptop question, more a general computer question; specifically concerning Microsoft Outlook.

I am unable to send or receive messages due to a Send/Receive error, namely (0x800CCC1A).

Does anybody know what this means, what might have caused it and, most imortantly, how to solve it - in simple to understand terms?

I have looked on Google - my internet is working fine, and I can still send and receive mails using my mobile phone - but I am afraid I don't really understand the solutuons offered.

Any assistance would be much appreciated, so Many Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Not really a laptop question, more a general computer question; specifically concerning Microsoft Outlook.

I am unable to send or receive messages due to a Send/Receive error, namely (0x800CCC1A).

Does anybody know what this means, what might have caused it and, most imortantly, how to solve it - in simple to understand terms?

I have looked on Google - my internet is working fine, and I can still send and receive mails using my mobile phone - but I am afraid I don't really understand the solutuons offered.

Have you installed or updated anything recently? Especially anti virus software?

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Have you installed or updated anything recently? Especially anti virus software?

I haven't installed anything, anti-virus software or anything, for at least a year.

I do, however, sweep my computer every evening and morning with an anti-virus product, one which I have been using for a year at least, without any known problem.

12 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Could be that your account details have messed up. Have you changed your password lately? Perhaps delete the email account within Outlook, and re-add it again?

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I haven't installed anything, anti-virus software or anything, for at least a year.

I do, however, sweep my computer every evening and morning with an anti-virus product, one which I have been using for a year at least, without any known problem.

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

Could be that your account details have messed up. Have you changed your password lately? Perhaps delete the email account within Outlook, and re-add it again?

It could be your profile has corrupted somehow, this is happened to me in the past. There is a fix tool from Microsoft that can be placed on your laptop. This is the link.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/resolve-outlook-for-windows-issues-with-automated-troubleshooting-tools-38e2342d-3527-4190-8754-a82d8b970fe2