IGNORED

Nigel Pearson will be on Sounds of the City Monday 25th July

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

The problem is nobody seems to want to buy him. Perhaps he and his agent should reflect on that.

The Massengo situation reminds me of O’Dowda a few years ago. He was convinced Leeds / other clubs wanted him but no offers materialised. Unfortunately, City made the mistake of offering him a new contract and we were stuck with him. Massengo probably thought he would have clubs chasing after him, and be prepared to pay what City want, but it hasn’t turned out that way. NP often mentions the fact that there is a new contract on the table for Massengo, but I hope he tears it up

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The Massengo situation reminds me of O’Dowda a few years ago. He was convinced Leeds / other clubs wanted him but no offers materialised. Unfortunately, City made the mistake of offering him a new contract and we were stuck with him. Massengo probably thought he would have clubs chasing after him, and be prepared to pay what City want, but it hasn’t turned out that way. NP often mentions the fact that there is a new contract on the table for Massengo, but I hope he tears it up

It could be of course that he just wants to return to France for personal reasons but if that is the case he and his agent should just tell the club that rather than just not responding.

If however his agent is telling him somebody will pay him significantly more money if he runs his contract down then there should come a point when we withdraw our offer imo.

Though if he thinks he will get big money in France in particular he clearly has no idea of the parlous state of French clubs.

In the meantime Nigel will use him if he has to but he'll be on the bench most of the time.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Yep, that was one of the main things I took from the piece.

Wants to build a team, not collect individuals. That’s a significant change in the Club’s/ Ashton’s approach and about ******* time!

Pearson was/is absolutely the right choice. Smart, with a clear plan and ruthless when needs to be. I like.

Nearly all issues I had under LJ/MA have been or are being addressed. Great foundation being constructed on which we can move forward. We may surprise a few this Season and more optimistic about things than I have been for years. 

Great post RR which very much echoes my thoughts in a nutshell 

NP is IMO working sensibly and hard to turn the mess around despite all the challenges he inherited 

He knows what good/success looks like and is clearly focused on achieving that without any nonsense or ego being required

Those (either on the pitch or off the pitch) who are with him and committed are part of the future anybody else is history 

What a great appointment 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

19 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Reading between the lines , I think it’s all  his agents doing 

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

It could be of course that he just wants to return to France for personal reasons but if that is the case he and his agent should just tell the club that rather than just not responding.

If however his agent is telling him somebody will pay him significantly more money if he runs his contract down then there should come a point when we withdraw our offer imo.

Though if he thinks he will get big money in France in particular he clearly has no idea of the parlous state of French clubs.

In the meantime Nigel will use him if he has to but he'll be on the bench most of the time.

In a nutshell.

17 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Doesn’t the fact that we have offered a contract - presumably on better terms - mean that we at least get some compensation as Massengo is under 24? If so but we then withdraw the offer, presumably we wouldn’t get that. Clearly not as much as a transfer fee but would be better than nothing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eardun said:

Doesn’t the fact that we have offered a contract - presumably on better terms - mean that we at least get some compensation as Massengo is under 24? If so but we then withdraw the offer, presumably we wouldn’t get that. Clearly not as much as a transfer fee but would be better than nothing. 

I could be wrong but I think that is only if he moves to a team in the English leagues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Interesting & as usual, open & honest.

Certainly dampening down too much enthusiasm by saying no Semenyo before September, implying Kalas’ injury isn’t improving & pretty much ruling out further transfers.

What impresses me with Pearson is that there is no moaning or need to make excuses. 

He works with what he has, and is fully commited to steadying the club in all aspects. 

No Kalas and Semenyo would be a big loss to some managers, but Nige is completely relaxed about the situation.

Previous regimes would be quick to get the excuse book out and list all the things not in their favour. But Nige just keeps working and finding solutions to problems. 

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Reading between the lines , I think it’s all  his agents doing 

Think this is probably the case. Nige did make a point of saying that he likes Han and what he can bring to the side, and it just seems to be an unfortunate situation for everyone. Agents are everything wrong with modern football. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, eardun said:

You're right of course. Shame we aren't in a position to stand on principle and tell a player if they aren't committed to us we're not committed to them.

• Like 1

If memory serves...HNM's agent is a family member.

Also from memory his whole family, father, mother, brother and sisters moved to Bristol to be with him and establish their own lives here.

Any move, would it seem, affect all of them.

My gut feels that NP really likes and rates him. 

And is playing down his worth.

Either way, it would be good for all parties that he makes his mind up. 

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

What impresses me with Pearson is that there is no moaning or need to make excuses. 

He works with what he has, and is fully commited to steadying the club in all aspects. 

No Kalas and Semenyo would be a big loss to some managers, but Nige is completely relaxed about the situation.

Previous regimes would be quick to get the excuse book out and list all the things not in their favour. But Nige just keeps working and finding solutions to problems. 

And in the past a loan player would be brought in to cover those players or would have to sign a player, Now it's look at what we have in the building and not adding to the squad for no reason so much more professional,I'm impressed that he's trying to put the club in a good place for now and the future as well.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Street red said:

And in the past a loan player would be brought in to cover those players or would have to sign a player, Now it's look at what we have in the building and not adding to the squad for no reason so much more professional,I'm impressed that he's trying to put the club in a good place for now and the future as well.

There was certainly a couple of nods to previous regimes regarding overloading the squad, and LJ's pathway comments. 

Nige is fully aware of what needs/has been addressed during his tenure. 

I have full faith that at the end of Nige's time here, he will be remembered for what a great job he has done. He has had everything against him, and continues to put the clubs long term stability at the front of his mind. 

Am I correct in thinking that the only two players he has paid a fee for are Atkinson and Tanner? 

If so, that's a testament to the work he has done so far, especially considering that the squad now looks the strongest it has been for some time. 

• Like 14

By far his best bit of media since he’s been manager. Absolutely loved his comments on HNM. We’ve been held to ransom by too many players in the past, and in some horrific cases (CO’D) we’ve been held to ransom and given into them.

Sign the deal or get going. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eardun said:

There are two compensation schemes in play here:

• PFCC - if he stays in this country next season
  • FIFA RSTP - if he goes abroad next season

Based on the guidance on PFCC, previous cases, etc, I think we could get somewhere towards £3m.

Based on the rules / formula of  RSTP, we are looking at €350k, a tenth of PFCC.

So the big question becomes, does he want to stay in this country, because there will be plenty of suitors NOW at the right price, regardless of whether we’ve received any so far…or does he want to go back home.

@spudski I believe his dad (an ex-pro) is his agent.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I could be wrong but I think that is only if he moves to a team in the English leagues.

See reply to Eardun above.  I’ve spent hours recently reading up on this.

45 minutes ago, Street red said:

It’s what we needed, a professional, experienced manager, here to rebuild a club, not to boost his ego.

I said right back at the start of his appointment that I saw him playing a bit of a “General Manager” role too.  I think with Richard Gould we have two sensible, pragmatic blokes at the helm.  It bodes well.

30 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

There was certainly a couple of nods to previous regimes regarding overloading the squad, and LJ's pathway comments. 

Nige is fully aware of what needs/has been addressed during his tenure. 

I have full faith that at the end of Nige's time here, he will be remembered for what a great job he has done. He has had everything against him, and continues to put the clubs long term stability at the front of his mind. 

Am I correct in thinking that the only two players he has paid a fee for are Atkinson and Tanner? 

If so, that's a testament to the work he has done so far, especially considering that the squad now looks the strongest it has been for some time. 

Bit of compo for Wilson too….£300k(ish) I reckon.

15 minutes ago, petehinton said:

By far his best bit of media since he’s been manager. Absolutely loved his comments on HNM. We’ve been held to ransom by too many players in the past, and in some horrific cases (CO’D) we’ve been held to ransom and given into them.

I felt he sounded frustrated….but totally in control.  He just gets on with it.

I think that was a little message tonight publicly.  Nige has made his position clear.  It will alert clubs , if not already alerted.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Agreed.

Its not as if he's progressed in the last 4 years, he's gone from one of the most technically gifted players at the club to a bit of a parody of himself. Big hair, lot of effort, but not a lot else after 89 championship games. Its no wonder there's been no interest in him, he's as he was as a teenager. Still only 21 so time to get his career back on track, but probably not here. Time for him to move on imo.

But, given the injury records of Williams and James, NP can't afford to side line him at the moment, he needs to keep him fit and interested just in case,, but he won't be a starter.

If NP can get a loanee in, or Kadji being fast tracked is a success, I think HNM won't get much pitch time this season.

Better still, if we can get a fee for him, it would suit all parties.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So the big question becomes, does he want to stay in this country, because there will be plenty of suitors NOW at the right price, regardless of whether we’ve received any so far…or does he want to go back home.

This seems to be contradictory. If there are plenty of suitors now why have we had no offers?

If there are plenty his agent doesn't seem to be doing a very good job of flushing them out.

17 minutes ago, chinapig said:

This seems to be contradictory. If there are plenty of suitors now why have we had no offers?

If there are plenty his agent doesn't seem to be doing a very good job of flushing them out.

Because up to this summer we’ve been able play hardball on fee.  Now that seesaw is starting to shift its balance.  I think it’s just hit ultimatum time, and if he won’t sign, we drop our valuation.

"If you've got players that in an ideal world you'd like to move on, but can't, then you've got to get the best out of them.... Or at least ensure they don't become a nuisance around the place... I never begrudge what players earn..."

Who is this referring to? ? 

1 minute ago, mozo said:

"If you've got players that in an ideal world you'd like to move on, but can't, then you've got to get the best out of them.... Or at least ensure they don't become a nuisance around the place... I never begrudge what players earn..."

Who is this referring to? ? 

Think that was aimed at Tyreeq.

What a difference a proper manager makes! Nige knows exactly what he wants and its that shift from "clubs in the bag" to a smaller squad pulling in the right direction.

There's a clear message to everyone. I like how its gradually shaping up.

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Surely with HNM if he isn’t going to sign a contract and will run down the last year with minimal playing time then it’s best to cash in now? And I don’t mean £6m, more like £1m-£2m with a sell on fee and also saving in his wages

I don’t think there are any buyers though. That’s the point.

Edited by Lew-T
  • Like 2

It's not as if we'll miss all those goals Massengo has been scoring or all of them assists.

He needs to move on for the benefit of both us and himself. Lets be honest for the money we spent, it hasn't been good business so far.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Clubs will call the agent first to sound out the situation before putting in a bid. If Massengo is going to see out his contract (something he’s perfectly entitled to do without punishment) then a club wouldn’t make a bid as they’d be wasting their time 

3 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I remember that not long after he took the job NP was asked  about the club/team prior to him taking the manager's job.

It would have been all too easy ( and understandable) had he distanced himself from the shambles he inherited and transferred the blame to the previous incumbent, but in his answer  he kept using "we".  

• Like 7