IGNORED

Nigel Pearson will be on Sounds of the City Monday 25th July

3 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Did you listen to the actual comment ? There is no interest, it is not that we rejected an approach or asked too much. There is no hardball, there is no ball. 

As to why he wants to go, you need to ask HNM that. No one seems to know apart from him and his agent (dad if true he is his agent) 

Being in Australia - no I didn't

Hence my question.

Apologies if you were triggered by my geographical location impeding my listening to a local British broadcaster

5 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Being in Australia - no I didn't

Hence my question.

Apologies if you were triggered by my geographical location impeding my listening to a local British broadcaster

Calm down, sport, you could have said "I wasn't able to listen, I'm in Australia"

• Like 1

Firstly, I didn't listen to the interview (I live in Bucks)

But...HNM has a real bond with the fans, he is much liked. That is very much at risk here, does he know what it's like to play for us (or any club) if the fans have turned against you? Has happened with so many players in the past...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Either HNM's dad is a rubbish agent - or we are asking too much.

I suspect it's the latter based on current financial markets.

If he wants to go now - lower the price and ease his way out.

No point playing hardball if he wants to go.

$1,000,000 question - why does he want to go??

I have just listened to the interview on BBC catch up.  NP says no interest in him.  Going to be a squad player  while here and good offer still on table.  He will utilise him

As for reason why HNM has not signed and committed himself who knows…being told or believing better opportunities will be found at larger clubs around the corner….well as a freebie  this might be the case in years time, but seems  not a player anyone wants to spend money on at this moment in time…but seems at this moment time he’s here for the foreseeable.  

9 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Agreed.

Its not as if he's progressed in the last 4 years, he's gone from one of the most technically gifted players at the club to a bit of a parody of himself. Big hair, lot of effort, but not a lot else after 89 championship games. Its no wonder there's been no interest in him, he's as he was as a teenager. Still only 21 so time to get his career back on track, but probably not here. Time for him to move on imo.

But, given the injury records of Williams and James, NP can't afford to side line him at the moment, he needs to keep him fit and interested just in case,, but he won't be a starter.

If NP can get a loanee in, or Kadji being fast tracked is a success, I think HNM won't get much pitch time this season.

Better still, if we can get a fee for him, it would suit all parties.

My first instinct is to this is harsh. However, when you really think about it, it is spot on. HNM hasn’t really improved since he arrived.

Now I won’t place all the blame on him. He arrived with a lot of fanfare but there was no plan of how to use him. Been in and out of the team so never a real consistent run of games. All in all though, he should have grown by now as a player. 

Think he is probably being used too deep by us. Probably because of his work rate, tenacity and ability to win the ball back. However, when we have possession I feel he looks a bit lost. He has nice tricks and touches in tight spaces but feel these would be better further forward. Maybe we’d have seen more from him in a 3 man midfield. Feel he probably could have played wide with his ability to go past players. 

All in all, probably won’t really weaken us when he leaves. There was something there to mould. We just didn’t do it with 3 different managers, different roles, covid and a lot of squd upheaval. 

• Like 1

Just listened online, good honest assessment from Nige as ever, without giving too much away with regards to who he sees as being the bulk of the first 11, and/or players who have impressed, although Kadji was mentioned as one who he likes.

On to Han Noah, great lad but for me hasn't done much to warrant a big improvement with regards to contract terms. In some respect he needs to look at the example that Taylor Moore set a few years ago - accept the offer on the table but maybe try and negotiate a better one based on targets set in the next. He took a wage cut to prove his worth. 

Now granted, it didn't work out for Moore, but you can't fault players like that. He had a belief that he could make it here, and was quite willing to accept lower terms over a short contract to prove that, which he did. Unfortunately for him he's out on loan for the last year of his deal, but I respect him for what he did. 

Han and his representatives, have maybe brought into the hype that surrounded him when he first signed too much. The market has changed, clubs are less willing to take a chance on players if they don't know how and where they would fit into their teams. Unless they know of something behind the scenes, I'd say they are playing a very dangerous game.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

So how true are the reports that we turned down 8.5 million for HNM from Watford a while back? 

And that talks with Nice, Freiburg and Leicester had happened with his Agent?

How much are we putting on his head?

Just a hunch but I never believed this Watford story at the time.

We were in even greater financial difficulties then than now & there seemed no way we could seriously reject this sort of money.

We didn’t sell anyone for a fee last summer & that sort of sum would have been significant re FFP.

I’ve been told he is very keen to return to France & isn’t interested in any contract offer, so we would sell if we get any sort of sensible offer but it seems obvious there isn’t one at present.

If we can do a deal he needs to go.

• Like 2

He's clearly not going to extend. We'd do well to get something for him in Jan but i think he walks next summer for nothing and will be happy to shop himself around as a free agent.

Don't think NP likes the situation but needs him in the squad. If we had more depth i don’t think he'd feature much.

Real shame if it ends that way. I'd love to see him continue here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

HE said there's been no interest.  So no one has offered anything and been told to go away.  Nige playing hardball now is exactly the way to go.  His representatives are probably thinking he'll play enough this season and can leave for free.  If he barely gets a kick for the first few weeks then they may become more proactive, either in agreeing to the offer we've made or getting a buying club to make an offer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Just a hunch but I never believed this Watford story at the time.

We were in even greater financial difficulties then than now & there seemed no way we could seriously reject this sort of money.

We didn’t sell anyone for a fee last summer & that sort of sum would have been significant re FFP.

I’ve been told he is very keen to return to France & isn’t interested in any contract offer, so we would sell if we get any sort of sensible offer but it seems obvious there isn’t one at present.

If we can do a deal he needs to go.

I was also told that he wanted to return to France.

The Nice talks either dried up or we were/are asking too much?!

If he leaves for less than what we bought him for...or he runs his contract down, then the only winner is HNM. 

It'll be interesting to see how NP manages the situation. If he runs it down I can't see him being utilised much.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Did you listen to the actual comment ? There is no interest, it is not that we rejected an approach or asked too much. There is no hardball, there is no ball. 

As to why he wants to go, you need to ask HNM that. No one seems to know apart from him and his agent (dad if true he is his agent) 

A lot of players these days are running down their contracts to increase their options when the term ends, but it sounded to me like he risks getting fewer minutes on the pitch this season by not committing, albeit we will absolutely use him.

People say shirt numbers aren't important but just look at Scott getting 7, Conway something like 15, but Massengo getting bumped to a higher number.

Just now, mozo said:

A lot of players these days are running down their contracts to increase their options when the term ends, but it sounded to me like he risks getting fewer minutes on the pitch this season by not committing, albeit we will absolutely use him.

People say shirt numbers aren't important but just look at Scott getting 7, Conway something like 15, but Massengo getting bumped to a higher number.

Massengo’s number actually went down.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

He probably wants to further his career, I doubt he considered City a long term move when he came over. Fact of the matter is that with one thing and another his development hasn't been as quick as expected. I think it's in his best interests to sign a deal with a fairly realistic release clause in it, he's settled here and continue to develop at a standard that suits him. HNM or his team must feel he can do better. In 12 months time with another 30 championship appearances he may be able to, but he's not going to have many options better than City at the moment.

Maybe he wants to go back to France. The whole thing is really disappointing, a year of not playing regularly is going to further hinder his development which nobody wants. We are weaker without him (despite what the goals and assists brigade may believe) and I don't think a year without regular first team football does HNM personally and good either.

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Not going to use this as another bash LJ comparison but it's a great shame for everything LJ put into his time here that he poured over so many things and minute detail but never understood the pragmatism that less is more and no amount of building and spending works on weak foundations - the absence of focus on culture and leadership was always a great miss and a great waste, and once the last of the 14/15 personalities had gone, so largely had his chance of succeeding.

Absolutely agree Rob.  The notion of group culture, and associated leadership, is so overlooked in football analysis.  Every great football team has leaders on the pitch, and players who buy into a group ethic, and sadly Lee appears never to have quite got that.  I was mystified by Aaron Wilbraham’s signing when it was announced, given his then recent goal scoring record, but his role in our last promotion team cannot be overstated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I like HNM . But 0 goals and 1 assist (could be a couple more) is not very impressive for a midfielder. 

For a midfielder of his talent especially. It's poor no matter how people try spin it. Even Scott has managed to bag a few of each in 1 season. I know, players are used differently, but I must admit I have expected some sort of a goal and assist return from Massengo, but it hasn't really happened.

I rate the player, but I've expected more and I don't think it's a tall order when you have been outscored by both Andy King and Matty James

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I like HNM . But 0 goals and 1 assist (could be a couple more) is not very impressive for a midfielder. 

In nearly 100 appearances for the club 

Jorginho has 5 assists for Chelsea in 120+ appearances, he has more goals but he takes penalties. The stat is irrelevant for deeper lying midfielders.

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

For a midfielder of his talent especially. It's poor no matter how people try spin it. Even Scott has managed to bag a few of each in 1 season. I know, players are used differently, but I must admit I have expected some sort of a goal and assist return from Massengo, but it hasn't really happened.

I rate the player, but I've expected more and I don't think it's a tall order when you have been outscored by both Andy King and Matty James

It would undoubtedly be a bonus, but that's all it would be. Does his job well and is getting more consistent.

It's a shame he's not an academy player and has a price tag hanging over him, feel like it's placed too much expectation on a developing player.

1 minute ago, KegCity said:

Jorginho has 5 assists for Chelsea in 120+ appearances, he has more goals but he takes penalties. The stat is irrelevant for deeper lying midfielders.

I don’t think it’s a irrelevant. HNM has played in several positions in midfield. And his goals and assists is a poor return. I expect more from him. Just my opinion 

• Like 1

Just now, Red Army 75 said:

I don’t think it’s a irrelevant. HNM has played in several positions in midfield. And his goals and assists is a poor return. I expect more from him. Just my opinion 

I personally would like to see more clean sheets from Antoine Semenyo. I expect more from him.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Chatting shit now

The point I'm making is that criticising a player for not doing something that isn't their role in the side doesn't really make sense. It's the same as moaning about Semenyo not helping us keep clean sheets, it's lazy. There's plenty of relevant criticisms for Massengo (consistency and remaining switched on, arguably his defending) that are currently holding him back. Being a deep lying midfielder who hasn't scored despite being our most creative centre mid after Scott isn't one of them.

It makes no sense. Obviously it would be nice if he was chipping in with goals, but if that's people's biggest criticism of him then he's doing pretty well.

• Like 1

It's obvious that HNM likes where he is, but if he is to stay then he has to see that the club might get him further up the ladder. If we had a storming start to the season and we're top 6 by the WC break, or around Jan 23, maybe that would be something that would give him a further reason to stay.

For the couple of nah sayers on this thread moaning about the lack of goals and assists, it's worth noting that he is still in the same age group as Conway, Bell etc, all of whom are looking to make an impact in the next three years. Only Scott, whom I think we are all agreed is an exception to the rule has provided more going forward than he has.

I think HNM only came to us for one thing Ashton sold him the dream of Premier League football or at least being in the shop window for that. Its why a lot of foreign footballers come to the Championship. On current from HNM is miles off that so his only get out is to run his contract down and return to France.