IGNORED

Hull City away match day thread

Beaten by an imbecilic piece of officiating and a wicked deflection. Absolutely infuriating to lose it at the death again but I saw enough today to think we will kick on from last season.

So-called supporters already calling for the manager’s head - embarrassing!

• Like 5

I thought it was a largely poor game between two ordinary sides. Of course, we shouldn’t have lost.

The penalty looked ridiculous; the defection, unlucky in one way, but we could have defended the situation much better.

I’m extremely realistic about this season (unlikely to be much better than last) and nothing I saw today has changed my mind. Without Antoine, we look a bit predictable going forward. We’ll need to cut out the daft goals. And hope the refs start seeing some pens for us. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

I thought it was a largely poor game between two ordinary sides. Of course, we shouldn’t have lost.

The penalty looked ridiculous; the defection, unlucky in one way, but we could have defended the situation much better.

I’m extremely realistic about this season (unlikely to be much better than last) and nothing I saw today has changed my mind. Without Antoine, we look a bit predictable going forward. We’ll need to cut out the daft goals. And hope the refs start seeing some pens for us. 

I agree.

Last season we lost god how many points from winning positions.

Today is the first 3 points lost from a winning position.

We need to score more goals when on top, like the first 30 minutes today.

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Perhaps have a look at their pen first?

I can imagine...with out even seeing it, i can guess it's dubious?.  I fully appreciate it's always fine margins between 2 equally-ish matched sides.........but why is it always us they end up on the wrong end of it?  When i can get round to it, i will watch the high/low lights.......just pissed off that it's yet another bad luck story??

Edited by maxjak
1 minute ago, City1970 said:

I agree.

Last season we lost god how many points from winning positions.

Today is the first 3 points lost from a winning position.

We need to score more goals when on top, like the first 30 minutes today.

Conway did have a good chance just before the “pen”. Score that and it’s three points and nobody is talking about mentality or sitting back.

• Like 2

Without Antoine, we look a bit predictable going forward.

His loss is a huge blow. Without his power and pace we are nowhere near as threatening. His mere presence scares defenders and creates space for others. Let's hope he is back in September but with our record of underestimating how long players will be out I'm not holding my breath.

I think we have a dilemma with Scott as well. He is an 8 not a 10 so we are unlikely to get the best out of him playing 3-4-1-2. But we don't really have the players to suit 4-3-3.

I have to agree.

Although I can see Hull growing into the season more so than us with the players they have.

Very early doors, and whilst we played well first half, we once again let the performance drop in the second half - no change there.

Ref was shite - no change there either.

I really don't know why I expected more from today, just start of the season optimism I suppose.

Didn't last long.

Just now, maxjak said:

I can imagine...with out even seeing it, i can guess it's dubious.  I fully appreciate it's always fine margins between 2 equally-ish matched sides.........but why is it always us they end up on the wrong end of it?  When i can get round to it, i will watch the high/low lights.......just pissed off that it's yet another bad luck story??

Nope, not "dubious".

Just plain wrong.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, bris red said:

Really really disappointing but plenty of positives to take. Naismith and Sykes both look like real quality additions and have certainly made our squad stronger.

Just hoping this late goal theme doesn’t continue on for the rest of the season.

If Vyner had headed that ball away and not Klose this place would be in meltdown.

28 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

At what point do we start walking off the pitch at these ridiculous decisions?

Il tell you one thing, no other club would stand for it to go so long without a pen whilst having so many corrupt decisions against us 

As much as this seems like a bit of a dramatic take from CC, I do have sympathy with the underlying point.

Professional football matches should not be influenced by decisions as poor as the penalty decision we saw today. It makes a mockery of the league, and it's an insult to the players and managers that put so much effort into competing.

Some will claim that it evens itself out over time - that certainly doesn't appear to be the case for us. Last season we were awarded the least penalties in the league, whilst also conceding the most in the league. Since the start of the 2018/19 season we've been awarded penalties less frequently than any team in Europe's top 31 leagues.

Perhaps I'm just a bit hot-headed following today's game, but I'm sick of seeing my team drop points to poor officiating at a rate far higher than most teams experience. It's unacceptable.

• Like 9
2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I'm all for blasting a shite ref, but let's give the cheating *** that won the pen some stick.

After watching some of the women's football, all this sort of stuff reminds me of how much more honest their game is.

I’d expect him to be charged by the FA with successful deception of the referee and get a three game ban, but that doesn’t help us.

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

Nope, not "dubious".

Just plain wrong.

I don't know if anyone else has seen it.........but on the main Bristol City site it has the score as Hull City 1 Bristol City 2!!  Well done media team?.  It is the first thing i saw when i came in from work........and then i go onto the OTIB site only to find out that the media team are having a laugh!!  Which makes me even more pissed off...Ha!  You couldn't make it up.

• Haha 1

Not often I'm upset by a defeat but this was really s#it.

With a different ref they would have had 2 possibly 3 on a yellow first half, which changes a lot. 

The pen well either you're fouled and you go down or you're not, it doesn't happen as an after thought. The winner was just unlucky.

On a positive it has proved to me I still care!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

I hope I’m proven wrong, but could be another long season.

A while back I wondered if this could be a challenging season and then 2023/24 when the finances much improved that could be a time we push on.

Maybe that's unduly pessimistic of me but I was quite prepared to accept that as a strong possibility- still only 1 game in though.

44 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

You either were not watching the match or have not a a clue what you are talking about, Hull were pinned back, trying to waste time before the ball broke up field and goal came from that

I wasn’t watching no, in a caravan in the pouring down rain supposedly enjoying a holiday. My comments were aimed at those blaming the scandalous penalty on our sitting deep. Also, I mentioned when Hull hit the post, not when they scored, at that time I believe we were under some pressure from them. So perhaps you might dial the micro-aggression down just a notch next time.