IGNORED

Hull City away match day thread

6 minutes ago, Hxj said:

Just back home from the match - my views are:

These things happen

Naismith was in charge - a while since we've had someone that is in charge - brilliant signing

Sykes looks useful

Scott looked lost (grabs helmet)

Vyner was great (grabs body armour!)

Scott looked lost because he is not a 10. The same happened when he played there for England U19s, he barely saw the ball. Nigel has a tough decision to make: change the shape so he can play as an 8, bench him (or coach him on how to be a 10).

Vyner played very well. Now he needs to keep it up.

15 minutes ago, Hxj said:

Just back home from the match - my views are:

These things happen

Naismith was in charge - a while since we've had someone that is in charge - brilliant signing

Sykes looks useful

Scott looked lost (grabs helmet)

Vyner was great (grabs body armour!)

Agree with all of this and would add although it was a brief-ish cameo I thought Tommy Conway looked like he’s going to make an impact this season ?

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Scott looked lost because he is not a 10. The same happened when he played there for England U19s, he barely saw the ball. Nigel has a tough decision to make: change the shape so he can play as an 8, bench him (or coach him on how to be a 10).

Could play him next to Williams with Sykes in front?

Hopefully Vyner has turned a corner now.

38 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Hull manager reaction: below

My reaction: 1/ yeah, until it happens to you in three weeks’ time and then it will be 100 per cent not a penalty. 
2/ if you think he was a yard and a half away from the goal, then your judgement is severely impaired. 

"I believe Benjamin [Tetteh] had the time to really make a goal so I should not think why would he go down, they didn't break his leg but probably they touched him enough to get this penalty. It was a yard away, one-and-a half yards away from the goal. 

"I don't want to say it's 100%, but it's a penalty which was almost a goal so he would not go down, that's what I want to believe."

He felt imaginary contact so he was entitled to go down!!

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I think he can play no10, just that he’s better (imho) as a CM (no8).  In the champ it’s quite easier to find no space in the gap between the opposition CBs and CM/DM.  Freeman found it incredibly difficult.

The option is to play a flatter three, Holden-ball 5122 or a box-3421.

Without the ball today I thought these two following photos summed up the game.

The good:

7E4FF36E-59B9-47D8-BEE2-807BF05B8629.thumb.jpeg.03ddb1d87cdc27f0f5d051be264b0c95.jpeg

High(ish) press….Scott, Martin and Weimann, together with Williams forcing Seri deep but also little way out other than long balls which we dealt with.

The bad (harsh) - the not so good:

80A2D735-79E2-4090-B1B9-40CE3F316733.thumb.jpeg.581f774c272b3ebd7bf3583b87948cca.jpeg

If Hull broke the initial press and we retreated into a mid-block, we become more 541. Hull then got Greaves down the left to double up with Sayyadmanesh against Sykes (who did well).  It allowed their midfield to get into gaps and it became harder for us to clear our lines, because Martin becomes isolated.

Same formation, different phases of play, different positions.  We ended up a bit like pic2 more in the second half.

We didn’t really move the ball with as much tempo second half either.

Hey-ho.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I’m not sure it is that tough a decision.

I know I’ll be in a minority but I was very surprised that he started today.

He has had barely any break this summer & unlike Andi Weimann who has been doing this for years, we are effectively asking him to play back to back seasons at 18.

I’d have had him on the bench today (there would have been meltdown on here) & would use him sporadically for the next month.

I certainly hope we are sensible with his workload prior to this season’s WC enforced break.

16 minutes ago, Feral Williams said:

Agree with all of this and would add although it was a brief-ish cameo I thought Tommy Conway looked like he’s going to make an impact this season ?

Definitely. Nige was asked about him last week and the possibility of him going on loan, but he made it clear that he wouldn't be going anywhere and expects that he can really push to be involved more regularly.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

I’m not sure it is that tough a decision.

I know I’ll be in a minority but I was very surprised that he started today.

He has had barely any break this summer & unlike Andi Weimann who has been doing this for years, we are effectively asking him to play back to back seasons at 18.

I’d have had him on the bench today (there would have been meltdown on here) & would use him sporadically for the next month.

I certainly hope we are sensible with his workload prior to this season’s WC enforced break.

I'd now go for Wilson at RWB (if fit) and Sykes behind the front two.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, chinapig said:

I'd now go for Wilson at RWB (if fit) and Sykes behind the front two.

Always sounds like hindsight after a defeat but that’s how I would have started today & if Wilson wasn’t fit enough to start, Tanner should have.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I'd agree I hoped he be eased back in.

Is it possible that Tanner and Wilson really weren't ready to start, and so Scott had to play? Assuming Pearson wasn't willing to budge on formation.

Perhaps in a perfect world we would have benched Scott rather than Wilson

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

I'd agree I hoped he be eased back in.

Is it possible that Tanner and Wilson really weren't ready to start, and so Scott had to play? Assuming Pearson wasn't willing to budge on formation.

Perhaps in a perfect world we would have benched Scott rather than Wilson

I don’t know the answer to that, but personally I’m uncomfortable with having too many on the bench who aren’t fit enough to play 90.

Pearson seemed to imply pre match that was the case with Wilson but cannot think Tanner was in that boat.

King was an option too & yet we had a bench with 2 RWBs on it.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I don’t know the answer to that, but personally I’m uncomfortable with having too many on the bench who aren’t fit enough to play 90.

Pearson seemed to imply pre match that was the case with Wilson but cannot think Tanner was in that boat.

Yeh I'm just speculating. I know you wouldn't know the answer. I agreed with your proposed treatment of Scott.

It'll be interesting what we do once Wilson is fully fit. He's clearly first choice RWB so that will free Sykes up to compete with the midfielders for places. 

28 minutes ago, Midred said:

He felt imaginary contact so he was entitled to go down!!

That’s a good point. If you believe in “alternative facts”, as used in the Donald Trump era, then you can believe that the alternative facts is you’re fouled. Therefore you are entitled to fall to the floor. A dangerous concept, but interesting 

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

That’s a good point. If you believe in “alternative facts”, as used in the Donald Trump era, then you can believe that the alternative facts is you’re fouled. Therefore you are entitled to fall to the floor. A dangerous concept, but interesting 

Their manager definitely does!

We played ok today - think 1-1 was a fair reflection but freak goal was cruel.

Though Naismith and Sykes looked good. Conway looked threatening. Vyner did ok but still remains a targeted weak link. 

Plenty of positives and although we did concede late, it wasn’t due to sitting back or poor defending.

Finally ref didn’t help us and looked like we should have had a pen on Atkinson?

1 hour ago, Feral Williams said:

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Definitely. Nige was asked about him last week and the possibility of him going on loan, but he made it clear that he wouldn't be going anywhere and expects that he can really push to be involved more regularly.

Would be really good to see Conway start against Coventry and Martin rested. 

Goals where unlucky but 2nd half we invited the pressure to make them happen, I’d like to see us stand up better to pressure both mentally and physically. 

Not all doom and gloom I think if it wasn’t for poor officiating and a freak goal we probably would have gone away with 3 points and the outlook would have been much better however, Hull aren't going to set this division alight and much better performances will be needed against stronger opposition. 

All three new signings looked good couldn’t really fault them. Our centre midfield worries me as we have our two, supposedly, most experienced and influential cm’s playing a full 90 but didn’t seem to have much impact IMO.

Think we’ll be okay this season… need a little better luck and a bit more more stones to push on when we go in front though. 

Edited by london_Cider_red
  • Like 1
31 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

Once again let down by poor officials it’s something that needs to be addressed. Nigel will probably get fined for comments made but it is the officials that should be fined for their poor performance 

I think Nigel will be OK.Even though he got his point across, I thought he did it in a very measured way.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Is King really an option?

17 minutes ago, 42104RED said:

Did the ref say anything after the game about that shocking penalty "decision?"

They are not required to justify their performances unlike everybody else in the game. And there never seem to be any consequences for consistently poor performances.

The fact though is that it's so hard to get people to take up refereeing that we are stuck with those we have, however incompetent.

• Like 1

Why is it that with changes of management coaching and playing personell most of us on here thought that at about 85 mins onward we were very likely to concede and ultimately lose the game, answers on a postcard, personally I'm baffled, we are either cursed or something needs to be done to rid the club of a negative attitude to closing out games, this has gone on far too long was really hoping this season the monkey would be off our backs, instead nothing seems to have changed and we all have to endure biting our nails again for another season.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1
3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

They are not required to justify their performances unlike everybody else in the game. And there never seem to be any consequences for consistently poor performances.

The fact though is that it's so hard to get people to take up refereeing that we are stuck with those we have, however incompetent.

The referees assessor would have a dvd of the game. The match official will write a report and you would think the assessor will do the same. 

What got me was officials make mistakes and players take dives in the box for that reason, however Hull’s tackling was industrial from the out set and he kept allowing them to get away with it without a caution. This is what Pearson was referring to in his interview. It was stunning the amount Sykes and Atkinson were being booted around without consequence. 

When you consider that and then the comedy penalty you could not be blamed for thinking “what was that all about. 

Referees will never be asked or expected to comment publicly, but they simply don’t get away with being that much of homer. I wouldn’t be surprised if the penalty ends up on a Baz Savageesque blooper reel for Soccer AM or some such!!

• Like 3