IGNORED

Hull City away match day thread

Agree that Sykes looks the business - his nifty bit of footwork to tee up James’s header that required a decent stop from their keeper was a wonderful piece of skill.

Bents made a superb save first half too.

One thing that irritates me, we do tend to find ourselves in a very advanced position upfield and too often we end up going backwards into our own half. Of course you don’t want to surrender possession but I feel we should have a bit more belief and drive at defences a smidge more.

I know the League Cup is considered expendable but I’d like to see us really go at Coventry. Two defeats wouldn’t be ideal preparation for a Sunderland side who will probably fancy their chances.

Edited by WessexPest
28 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Agree that Sykes looks the business - his nifty bit of footwork to tee up James’s header that required a decent stop from their keeper was a wonderful piece of skill.

Bents made a superb save first half too.

One thing that irritates me, we do tend to find ourselves in a very advanced position upfield and too often we end up going backwards into our own half. Of course you don’t want to surrender possession but I feel we should have a bit more belief and drive at defences a smidge more.

I know the League Cup is considered expendable but I’d like to see us really go at Coventry. Two defeats wouldn’t be ideal preparation for a Sunderland side who will probably fancy their chances.

We play Sunderland before we play Coventry!

• Like 1

In the cold light of day, and after due consideration, I still think the Ref was a cock !

At the time, from so far away I thought there might have been contact. Seeing the clip on the way back it's a shocker.
I thought the Ref had been good, even lenient to use first half. They had 2 Pen shouts, one I was worried about, he waved away. Generally I thought he was OK. 2nd half he came out and it looked like we had upset him.
The number of fouls they committed without bookings was ridiculous . 
2 shouts for Pens ignored, 2nd was bordered on assault.
The late , nasty challenge on Atkinson, ignored. 
He followed up by stopping play because their bloke had hurt himself kicking Atkinson.
It was one of the worst Ref's I've seen, and there's a long list.

On the plus side.
Naismith looks good.
Sykes was excellent. 
Atkinson looked good.
Williams & James looks a good fit. Picked the ball off CBs and rotated well.
Vyner did well.
DaSilva did ok but his final ball is poor. 

I think we played well, passing movement and care of the ball was much better. We looked solid at the back for a lot of the game, though I hope they improve with games. It's hard to take when you see bad decisions affect the game like that, and it sounds bitter when you point it out. But the Ref decision making was erratic at best. 
There are good signs IMO, but we could do with a win next week. Just to stop the "same old City" thing being reeled off again.

• Like 8
18 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

In the cold light of day, and after due consideration, I still think the Ref was a cock !

At the time, from so far away I thought there might have been contact. Seeing the clip on the way back it's a shocker.
I thought the Ref had been good, even lenient to use first half. They had 2 Pen shouts, one I was worried about, he waved away. Generally I thought he was OK. 2nd half he came out and it looked like we had upset him.
The number of fouls they committed without bookings was ridiculous . 
2 shouts for Pens ignored, 2nd was bordered on assault.
The late , nasty challenge on Atkinson, ignored. 
He followed up by stopping play because their bloke had hurt himself kicking Atkinson.
It was one of the worst Ref's I've seen, and there's a long list.

On the plus side.
Naismith looks good.
Sykes was excellent. 
Atkinson looked good.
Williams & James looks a good fit. Picked the ball off CBs and rotated well.
Vyner did well.
DaSilva did ok but his final ball is poor. 

I think we played well, passing movement and care of the ball was much better. We looked solid at the back for a lot of the game, though I hope they improve with games. It's hard to take when you see bad decisions affect the game like that, and it sounds bitter when you point it out. But the Ref decision making was erratic at best. 
There are good signs IMO, but we could do with a win next week. Just to stop the "same old City" thing being reeled off again.

Even their player, Seri has said that if VAR was used yesterday, their penalty would have been over-turned!

Says it all…..at least City will probably get a letter of apology from the EFL (again!) this week to apologise for the poor decision!

As you say…..let’s go get a win vs Sunderland next Saturday ?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

They got a fake pen, their player should had get a yellow card for diving. Atkinson should had a pen. Think we were the better team. 

We were the better team for much of the first half. They then realised which players to target and how much of a foul they could get away with and got a grip of the game.

Very surprised how bitter Hull fans were towards us. Yesterday was my 4th visit since the playoff final and yet the worst for objects being thrown at us. It took a lot of Police to hold them back at times. Strange lot, I think most of us are well over that Windass game by now and moved on, they it appears have not.

25 minutes ago, RedM said:

We were the better team for much of the first half. They then realised which players to target and how much of a foul they could get away with and got a grip of the game.

Very surprised how bitter Hull fans were towards us. Yesterday was my 4th visit since the playoff final and yet the worst for objects being thrown at us. It took a lot of Police to hold them back at times. Strange lot, I think most of us are well over that Windass game by now and moved on, they it appears have not.

I think that stems from the league game there that season.

11 hours ago, REDOXO said:

The referees assessor would have a dvd of the game. The match official will write a report and you would think the assessor will do the same. 

What got me was officials make mistakes and players take dives in the box for that reason, however Hull’s tackling was industrial from the out set and he kept allowing them to get away with it without a caution. This is what Pearson was referring to in his interview. It was stunning the amount Sykes and Atkinson were being booted around without consequence. 

When you consider that and then the comedy penalty you could not be blamed for thinking “what was that all about. 

Referees will never be asked or expected to comment publicly, but they simply don’t get away with being that much of homer. I wouldn’t be surprised if the penalty ends up on a Baz Savageesque blooper reel for Soccer AM or some such!!

When referee's are this bad and inconsistent I would imagine someone has an eye on him. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Slightly different perspective from the Hull media!  ‘Benjamin Tetteh was felled inside the penalty box by Kal Naismith in the 72nd minute’

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-chief-nigel-pearson-7402995

“Felled”??
Thats disappointing. 9 months of a long season to go, and I’ve already seen the most hilarious comment that I’m going to see all season. 

• Like 1

Think we just got to right that game off as one of those games when luck was not on our side, we lost to a shocking bit of refereeing and a huge deflection from a ball that was heading wide, 

We actually played pretty well for most of the game and looked a lot more solid at the back I thought, 

We really did do enough to win that game and any other day we probably would have, definitely feeling quite confident for next weekend home game, 

• Like 1

Was a bit disheartened seeing the score yesterday, but after seeing the highlights I think we were just quite unlucky (yes I know you "make your own luck" etc). That penalty was comical; you could literally see when he decided to fall over. And then the losing goal was a crazy deflection.

Not too worrying at this point, and seemed like a few of our new players looked pretty good. Credit to Zak Vyner for that assist too; great commitment. Would love to see him do well, would certainly help us out positionally!

12 hours ago, pillred said:

Why is it that with changes of management coaching and playing personell most of us on here thought that at about 85 mins onward we were very likely to concede and ultimately lose the game, answers on a postcard, personally I'm baffled, we are either cursed or something needs to be done to rid the club of a negative attitude to closing out games, this has gone on far too long was really hoping this season the monkey would be off our backs, instead nothing seems to have changed and we all have to endure biting our nails again for another season.

Although we conceded in the 93rd minute it felt quite different to me yesterday, in that Hull were not piling pressure on us and seemed to have settled for a point. Unlike the closing minutes of the first half when we were rather hanging-on. Their winner was the result of a wicked deflection from a long range, speculative shot (even though our defensive header and closing down could have been better.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Terrible refereeing decision, and awful deflection.

We looked far better as a team overall.

My overusing thought, is similar to last season. 

Teams attack us down the flanks and create scoring opportunities from doing so. It was the same last season.

We have to find a way of stopping that.

The middle of the park is much more secure.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Terrible refereeing decision, and awful deflection.

We looked far better as a team overall.

My overusing thought, is similar to last season. 

Teams attack us down the flanks and create scoring opportunities from doing so. It was the same last season.

We have to find a way of stopping that.

The middle of the park is much more secure.

That’s the trade off with playing with wing backs. Susceptible out wide but should be stronger in the middle.

They've just talked on Sky about there being a higher bar for foul play this season: there has to be contact and consequences.

Yet Hull get a penalty when there is no contact and the only consequence is a dive. So either the referee didn't get the memo or it's yet another change referees have no intention of implementing.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, KegCity said:

That’s the trade off with playing with wing backs. Susceptible out wide but should be stronger in the middle.

Oh yes...I agree...however it has been our undoing. I think we could be stronger in preventing crosses and closing down quicker.

And as for our lack of penalties...the way Atkinson was manhandled so many time...we have to start getting in the face of the ref about it more often imo. It works for other teams like Hull yesterday. Psychologically to ref makes a mental note. It soon adds up. It shouldn't, but it does.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

True but we tend to make little effort to prevent crosses, a problem we have had under successive managers.

Agree. Has annoyed me for years how easily teams get crosses in against us. I thought NP would sort it when he signed a new RWB. He seems to like putting non-defenders in there though. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, spudski said:

And as for our lack of penalties...the way Atkinson was manhandled so many time...we have to start getting in the face of the ref about it more often imo. It works for other teams like Hull yesterday. Psychologically to ref makes a mental note. It soon adds up. It shouldn't, but it does

Yes, we are far too nice in that respect.

• Thanks 1

I was wondering why City players kept getting injured in tackles whereas Hull players only went down when they were time wasting.  It's the same old problem.  Whilst you don't have much control over bad refereeing decisions, you do have control over how committed you are in the tackle.  I suspect we will see more committment and harder tackling from the Lionesses this afternoon than we have seen from a City mens team in a long time. In fact, I find it hard to consider us as a mens team really.

• Confused 1