IGNORED

Hull City away match day thread

5 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

I know we have this collective thing about how 'hard done' to we are. 

However Law 12 is pretty clear on it https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

⬇️⬇️⬇️

5 hours ago, cityexile said:

I know you like to play contrarian, but that does not say what you think it does.

The ‘contact’ comment is after ‘trips or attempts to trip’. The fact that he went on for a few steps before falling, it is clear he had not been tripped, but chose to fall over. Think about it, if every contact was a free kick the game would never happen.

The only question law 12 poses is was he tripped by the tackle, not if there was contact.

image.png.c00e762a80c1531e5a6503c13be72dfe.png

As per above…was he tripped?  I could easily argue he wasn’t tripped…that he actually dived, rather than fell because he was tripped. Subtle difference, certainly not black and white is it?

Its a badly worded set of “laws”, where from this season the referees have been open in saying “more” (define more?) contact will be allowed.  So how are they executing this?  Badly I’d guess!!!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

However the main point I was trying to make is we as a collective need to get out of this 'infamy, infamy, they've all got it infamy' mindset. It's only got worse over the last two seasons and every official has it in for us or is rubbish by default, even when we win.

The ref made some shocking decisions against us (well before the penalty), not cautioning their players, in fact one player committed several bookable offences.  When you see a Lino flagging vigorously, it’s usually because of a bad challenge…we saw that a couple of times, and nothing.  We don’t get the 50:50s, the lack of penalties across 2 seasons prove that.  They are key decisions in matches and we get the shitty end of the stick.  Ultimately the refs aren’t up to it, and they suck up to the perceived big club / ex-PL club too often.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The ref made some shocking decisions against us (well before the penalty), not cautioning their players, in fact one player committed several bookable offences.  When you see a Lino flagging vigorously, it’s usually because of a bad challenge…we saw that a couple of times, and nothing.  We don’t get the 50:50s, the lack of penalties across 2 seasons prove that.  They are key decisions in matches and we get the shitty end of the stick.  Ultimately the refs aren’t up to it, and they suck up to the perceived big club / ex-PL club too often.

I am a qualified ref - fouls are split into 3 categories - careless, reckless and excessive force. Reckless = yellow, excessive force = red......the left wing back had at least 2 "reckless" challenges - and I mean at least.....for him not to get a booking all game is a prime example of the ref not following the rule book.

Some will say that refs want to allow the game to flow, that's fine with "careless" challenges - you can give multiple chances.....you can't with the other two.

When you qualify as a ref it makes you realise just how dire these officials in in champ are.....its a hard job and the pace is quick but the rulebook is very clear, and for them to be incapable of doing the basics is extremely concerning.

• Thanks 1

After having a few days to reflect, I wanted to put some thoughts. 

First half, we were very good. We did at times force some things in possession. We’d play a few passes then try clipping one in over the top or playing someone in to the byline that were a bit forced. Our best play was when we were patient and started play with Naismith imo. 

The way we pressed and defended at times was brilliant. However, it was quite clear come HT it was taking a lot out of players. Now perhaps this was due to Hull playing very wide. Just want to mention that some players, especially the older ones imo, struggled when we hit the 70 min mark. Think NP failed in not making the last 2 changes. 

Our first half play showed we can play a pretty good brand of football with Chris Martin starting. However, I couldn’t help but think how much better this could look with Semenyo in for him. Think Naismith will find him quite often on those long passes. Martin was good first half but when he drops deep it takes him out of the game. Of course he needs to do it but we stopped really running in behind after a few times. And when he does play it off quick he doesn’t have the pace to be a scoring factor as it is often part of the build up of a counter attack. This isn’t a CM bashing but I do feel he should be playing much less this season once AS is back. What an option to have though off the bench and spot starts when injuries or suspensions or even some matchups. 

We looked a lesser of a side once Weimann dropped deeper imo. Now there were a couple knocks to Scott and Sykes I believe. So probably more of a necessity on the day. Missed Scott getting on the ball and drawing fouls. Think Sykes would be similar. 

Thought second half we could have used more pace and movement around the 70 min mark. They were allowed to be aggressive with Martin so perhaps Wells would have added a sharpness and threat in behind with Conway that could have been our outlet. 

All in all good performance. I think Hull might be alright. They had a Coventry from last season feel to their play second half. No doubt they have quality. We could end up looking back and saying a ref robbed us of an away win against a top 10 side. I’d like to eventually see a more mobile fluid attack especially with how we played. 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This - the referee couldn’t make his mind up on how he was going to manage the game, he decision to be lenient on the physical stuff early doors largely led to Sykes being all but kicked off the park with Martin taking a few foot left in challenges too. 

The problem is, seemingly in the Championship, the referee performances have been pretty much dire for the last couple of seasons, I’ve lost count of the number of games where a refereeing decision has been a talking point, perhaps they need more help or perhaps they too should open to post match questions.

Hull’s new imports and manager certainly have brought an increase in the dark arts of both physicality and cynical game management, and if they continue in that mould combined with a seemingly new Aston Villa-esque fan’s sense of entitlement, I suspect they will rapidly become a more disliked club.

• Like 1