IGNORED

Hull City away match day thread

On 27/07/2022 at 09:10, Jerseybean said:

Hull facts

Hull is named after the River Hull. Its proper name is Kingston-upon-Hull.

Boiled sweets, liquid crystal displays (LCDs) and Lemsip all had their origins in Hull.

Hull is proud of its many uniquely designed public toilets which even attract coach parties!

The George Hotel in Hull claims to have the smallest window in England.

Hull is home to The Deep, which calls itself the “world’s only submarium”. Visitors may see its 3,500 fish, including sharks and manta rays, while walking under the water through a viewing tunnel.

People from Hull are referred to as Hullensians.

In 1856, Thomas James Smith opened a chemist's shop in Hull and established his business selling cod liver oil to hospitals.

And finally, when during closed-season I asked for suggestions on how to improve the match-day thread posting it earlier was mentioned, thereby giving more time for fans to contribute and time for Big Tone to provide a condensed version. I will try to post them a bit earlier, however, that may not always be possible.

Im not sure if it's still the case, but Hull has/had it's own telecom provider - Kingston Communication - rather than BT.

It also had/has it's own cream coloured telephone boxes, rather than the traditional red.  

• Like 3

I can't believe the season starts the day after tomorrow! 

Considering there's been no world Cup or Euros, the summer break has flown past..!

This is usually the best point of the season - before the reality ruins the pre-season hopes..! 

COYR! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All the pre-season stuff is done. The new players are in the squad. There is nothing else now other than to count down the hours until the first match of the season kicks off.

We are now in the period of peak optimism. I love it and hate it at the same time.

Bring it on and lets get 3 points on the board on day 1.

COYR.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Im not sure if it's still the case, but Hull has/had it's own telecom provider - Kingston Communication - rather than BT.

It also had/has it's own cream coloured telephone boxes, rather than the traditional red.  

Yes spot on. Hull's telephone network was never run by the Post Office which was responsible for red phone boxes. In 1904, Hull City Council was one of several local authorities to set up their own phone network. Back then it was called Hull Telephone Department and today it is KCOM. It had cream phone boxes.

EA3015DC-39D2-482E-9602-6F4F94D6BE9D.jpeg

On 26/07/2022 at 20:02, stephenkibby. said:

Ah, Wagstaff and Chilton top players, remember a cracking 3/3 down the Gate late 60s.

On 26/07/2022 at 18:38, handsofclay said:

Didn't they sign Ken Wagstaff from Mansfield in 1964 as well?

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Wagstaff hat-trick I seem to remember ? circa 67

Who was the really thick set, ginger haired winger, very fast as well?

Was he one of Wagstaff or Chilton?

• Admin
1 minute ago, Cribbsred2 said:

What time are you planning on leaving the Bristol area if you're driving up? The AA has issued traffic warnings for this weekend due to the holiday season, new football season, train strikes and commonwealth games.

Sounds like a normal day on the M1

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Who was the really thick set, ginger haired winger, very fast as well?

Was he one of Wagstaff or Chilton?

That was Wagstaff, looked more like Billy Bunter than a player ! Hull spent the (then) ridiculous sum of £120k for KW and Ken Houghton (Rotherham) in 64 in an effort to gain promotion to Div2, they were sponsored by Chairman Percy Needler (one of the first sugar daddies in football) Considering the record transfer was£99,999 for Jimmy Greaves, everyone thought it was sheer madness for a third tier club to spend such sums! Didn't even work straight away, we went up that season, they had to wait for next season (where I think they pissed it, with Millwall finishing second) . When I mentioned the "sugar daddy" the pun was intended as he made his fortune in toffees and similar confectionerys. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cribbsred2 said:

What time are you planning on leaving the Bristol area if you're driving up? The AA has issued traffic warnings for this weekend due to the holiday season, new football season, train strikes and commonwealth games.

In view of that, yesterday is a good call!

7 hours ago, Cribbsred2 said:

The city coaches leave at 8am to give you an idea of when they’re going … 

14 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Yes spot on. Hull's telephone network was never run by the Post Office which was responsible for red phone boxes. In 1904, Hull City Council was one of several local authorities to set up their own phone network. Back then it was called Hull Telephone Department and today it is KCOM. It had cream phone boxes.

I saw one of these recently, in Beverley, E. Yorks.

14 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

The local authority sold them off some while ago & the stadium was funded (& then gifted to Hull City & one of their 2 RL teams) with the profits.

Hence its name, Kingston Communications stadium.

18 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Considering there's been no world Cup or Euros, the summer break has flown past..!

I know what you mean, but I'm guessing you must have missed the Women's Euros going on at the moment, with England being in the final on Sunday ?

As such, I'm not able to make this game. Would have considered it but am travelling to London on Saturday ahead of said final. Good luck to City & I hope it can be as close as the 5-0 result from last season!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

I know what you mean, but I'm guessing you must have missed the Women's Euros going on at the moment, with England being in the final on Sunday ?

As such, I'm not able to make this game. Would have considered it but am travelling to London on Saturday ahead of said final. Good luck to City & I hope it can be as close as the 5-0 result from last season!

I've not missed it, but i've not watched it. 

Fair play to the ladies for doing so well & I might watch the final, if I'm at home. 

It's hardly the same as the mens tournaments. 

Good that it's growing in popularity though. 

It's just an entirely different thing to mens football, IMHO. 

Enjoy the final! 

Nige’s interview is spot on imo.

He is the first manager in a long time to have sussed out that what has been wrong has been the club’s culture.  That is what has held us back and explains why some excellent players we recruited never managed to take the side with them.  NP is also spot on re loans.

I like the honesty, without spin, that NP delivers.  More strength to his elbow.

Good luck to him, his coaches, and players for the new season.  We may not make play offs but it will be an interesting and positive season nonetheless.

COYR

• Like 10
2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Nige’s interview is spot on imo.

He is the first manager in a long time to have sussed out that what has been wrong has been the club’s culture.  That is what has held us back and explains why some excellent players we recruited never managed to take the side with them.  NP is also spot on re loans.

I like the honesty, without spin, that NP delivers.  More strength to his elbow.

Good luck to him, his coaches, and players for the new season.  We may not make play offs but it will be an interesting and positive season nonetheless.

COYR

Spot on. Changing coaches was the single most important part of that. When the 2 stooges left, things began to change. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Quite nervous about tomorrow. Logically I think with the continuity of our squad and the quality of our new players we should beat them, however Hull City are the least predictable team to call in the championship at the moment and I am concerned they may put on a strong opening performance in front of their fans which takes us by surprise. What will be will be!

• Like 1