IGNORED

Hull City away match day thread

48 minutes ago, chinapig said:

They've just talked on Sky about there being a higher bar for foul play this season: there has to be contact and consequences.

Yet Hull get a penalty when there is no contact and the only consequence is a dive. So either the referee didn't get the memo or it's yet another change referees have no intention of implementing.

The contact is a long time before he goes over so it's def a dive.

2 hours ago, billywedlock said:

On Robins tv they had a replay from a camera situated behind the goal. There was no contact , they guy just did a comedy dive, and the ref, and none of their players, thought penalty. Sari said afterwards it was not a penalty. I am not keen on VAR for every single decision, but awarding a penalty is pretty important . It was blatant cheating. But worse that that, was the lack of yellow cards, the ref gave a freekick, but no card. For incidents that risked injuring badly the player. It was on multiple occasions. They were dangerous fouls , where the intention was to hurt/damage. The ref had a nightmare . 

Here are the "select Group 2 " championship refs 

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/match-officials/select-group-two-officials/select-group-2-match-officials/

There was contact.

20220731_141804.jpg

20220731_141848.jpg

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I was wondering why City players kept getting injured in tackles whereas Hull players only went down when they were time wasting.  It's the same old problem.  Whilst you don't have much control over bad refereeing decisions, you do have control over how committed you are in the tackle.  I suspect we will see more committment and harder tackling from the Lionesses this afternoon than we have seen from a City mens team in a long time. In fact, I find it hard to consider us as a mens team really.

What are you dribbling on about?

• Hmmm 1
3 minutes ago, The Wild Bunch said:

Agree with a number of comments on the thread.  Thought we were weak attacking down our left.  JD has to improve his crossing if we are going to play with wing backs.  Pring is always a good option to bring on later in the game but obviously not available yesterday.

From what I've seen of Pring, I think he has looked like a more complete left back/wing back than DaSilva and his erxtra height and bulk is a big advantage.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Oh yes...I agree...however it has been our undoing. I think we could be stronger in preventing crosses and closing down quicker.

And as for our lack of penalties...the way Atkinson was manhandled so many time...we have to start getting in the face of the ref about it more often imo. It works for other teams like Hull yesterday. Psychologically to ref makes a mental note. It soon adds up. It shouldn't, but it does.

Probably clutching at straws, but wonder if, unconsciously at least, refs are minded to take more notice of the captain, therefore having our keeper as captain reduces our ability to influence/achieve parity with refs? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

There was contact.

20220731_141804.jpg

20220731_141848.jpg

Agree there was contact but not enough to knock him of balance so why did the Hull player take a couple of steps before deciding to go to ground! He got up straight away no trainer came on. The ref has been conned once again but this only seems to happen in the city box ! Atkinson wiped out needed treatment yet no foul ? Very odd 

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

There was contact.

20220731_141804.jpg

20220731_141848.jpg

Doesn't matter. If he immediately went down, no argument, penalty.

He take two full steps and staggered to the floor with the goal in front him. It's not stopped a goal scoring opportunity, nor was it evidently enough to send him to the ground.

Ultimately brings the game into disrepute. Bit shameful.

I'd be of the same opinion if it happened for us against another team. Just no need, goals right there just smash it in the net.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, REDOXO said:

The referees assessor would have a dvd of the game. The match official will write a report and you would think the assessor will do the same. 

What got me was officials make mistakes and players take dives in the box for that reason, however Hull’s tackling was industrial from the out set and he kept allowing them to get away with it without a caution. This is what Pearson was referring to in his interview. It was stunning the amount Sykes and Atkinson were being booted around without consequence. 

When you consider that and then the comedy penalty you could not be blamed for thinking “what was that all about. 

Referees will never be asked or expected to comment publicly, but they simply don’t get away with being that much of homer. I wouldn’t be surprised if the penalty ends up on a Baz Savageesque blooper reel for Soccer AM or some such!!

You wonder what Kevin Friend who was at the game yesterday will think/say as the newly appointed manager of the select group 2 referees (which includes Dean Whitestone) I can imagine he will have had plenty to say.

8 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

You wonder what Kevin Friend who was at the game yesterday will think/say as the newly appointed manager of the select group 2 referees (which includes Dean Whitestone) I can imagine he will have had plenty to say.

Well certainly Mr Pearson referred to their conversation and was clearly making a point to him. Mr Whitestone I suspect is having an uncomfortable Sunday. Deservedly So!

On 30/07/2022 at 19:05, BCFC11 said:

How about you don't bother commenting and coming to you're conclusion on a game you've not even seen and others have? Watch it then tell everyone what you think, we were robbed end of.

Well done you have managed to    articulate your thoughts into coherent criticism.......instead of just being Pheckin rude?  The general consensus is we were robbed, now despite being very unlucky and conceding a penalty that was the result of cheating by a player who should have been booked by the incompetent ref.......i just don't personally see it as that simple .

We played extremely well in the first half, but come the 2nd half, our mjdfield began to tire, and slowly we were dominated by Hull's midfield and began to drop deeper, I felt that Pearson did not utiilise the bench sufficiently,  and bolster tired legs by bringing on fresh players.  Both goals were unlucky (Indeed, One was a joke)  However if you concede possession, drop deeper, and do not  do something about it, the oppositions players start taking pot shots, and press and put players in your penalty area. It is then that you are susceptible to exactly what happened.  We were very unfortunate, but i do not see Pearson as blameless, he should have noticed the situation and counter acted it.....he didn't, and by force of numbers and luck Hull turned it round.   To say ^We Wuz Robbed" is simplistic, and is not a true reflection of what happened.  We should have NOT lost that game.....and although Pearson is a good manager, I thought he should have reacted to the situation.   For me, James and Williams cannot sustain 90 minutes, they were both knackered after an hour, and something needs to be done about our midfield....or our "bad luck" could persist?  IMHO......Is that enough W^^king commenting for you?

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 2
20 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

There was contact.

20220731_141804.jpg

20220731_141848.jpg

The angle is not great in fairness. All the studs are showing whereas the picture makes is look like it’s full foot contact. It’s not completely conclusive as the tacking foot is closer to the camera than the attackers legs.

He has equally dived in, gets nowhere near the ball,  and may well have made contact. It’s like the attackers brain has gone ‘O , did I feel contact there? I might have done actually, I need to go down’, and ends up making a laughable dive that the ref falls for. If he is brought down by the challange instead of falling over because he thinks he should, no complaints.

Edited by cityexile
4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Contact does not equal foul.

It certainly doesn’t, plus has been mentioned numerous times already, the fact that the guy went on for a couple of steps before doing the dying fly (copyright Tiswas) was pathetic.

It’s Monday now & I’m trying to be philosophical about it, but what I do know is as the season goes on the likes of Rowett, Neil & the other Championship managers who have been around the block will certainly be saying to refs before their games that bloke up front for Hull is a diver, don’t get conned by him.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

I know we have this collective thing about how 'hard done' to we are. 

However Law 12 is pretty clear on it https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

I know you like to play contrarian, but that does not say what you think it does.

The ‘contact’ comment is after ‘trips or attempts to trip’. The fact that he went on for a few steps before falling, it is clear he had not been tripped, but chose to fall over. Think about it, if every contact was a free kick the game would never happen.

The only question law 12 poses is was he tripped by the tackle, not if there was contact.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Contact does not equal foul.

Indeed, as the latest guidance to referees says, there have to be consequences. The only consequence was that the player took two steps then threw himself down.

I can only assume the referee was not only incompetent but illiterate so unable to read the guidance.

22 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Do you not think that we tackle like girls then?

How do girls tackle then? I assume with your username you have a degree of expertise?

Are you judging our players by girls standards because you personally couldn't tackle Mary Earps in a telephone box let alone any of the outfield players................

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
52 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

How do girls tackle then? I assume with your username you have a degree of expertise?

Are you judging our players by girls standards because you personally couldn't tackle Mary Earps in a telephone box let alone any of the outfield players................

Odd assumptions to make when you have no knowledge of the users football experience.

22 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Whereas saying City players "tackle like girls" is not odd in any way, shape or form................

Bristol City's soft underbelly has been well known throughout the Championship for a few years. Whilst we played a little better at times on Saturday, the soft underbelly is evident for all to see.  Compared to some of the hard players we have had over the years, we tackle like girls.

The standard of refereeing within the championship is dreadful. They lack emotional intelligence and we are now at a point where they are not makikg decisions based on individual events but the accumulation of appeals or by who shouts loudest.

The ref does not give the Hull penalty if they hadn't had 2 appeals already, both of which didn't look like fouls and neither would've been over turned by VAR. The Atkinson decision was scandalous considering he was staring straight at it.

Moving forward the only solution is to be aggressive and unpleasant to the ref. Crowd him, intimidate him and question him, they don't have the bollocks to give 7 8 yellow cards a game. This may not sit comfortably for some but unfortunately the refs have shown they are mentally weak and easily fold under pressure.

Decisions should be based on merit and individual circumstances, unfortunately due to the referee incompetence we are well passed that point now.

28 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Bristol City's soft underbelly has been well known throughout the Championship for a few years. Whilst we played a little better at times on Saturday, the soft underbelly is evident for all to see.  Compared to some of the hard players we have had over the years, we tackle like girls.

How do girls tackle?