IGNORED

Hull City away match day thread

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Spot on. Changing coaches was the single most important part of that. When the 2 stooges left, things began to change. 

I assume you mean Simpson and Downing, if so you couldn't be further from the truth. All the players were disappointed that Simpson never recovered sufficiently to coach as he was working before, and Pearson himself wanted Downing to stay if the finances would have allowed.

The biggest issue we had last season was that "Paddy" was the only senior coach for too long, especially when Pearson himself was not well enough to cover the missing personnel.

On 27/07/2022 at 17:40, Jerseybean said:

Welcome to a new season fellow-Reds, let’s light the red touch-paper and look forward to supporting our team through all of the ups and downs of a Championship campaign. Let’s get behind the boys from the start to the conclusion of the season, COYR!

We have an allocation of 1,214 tickets for this fixture. A long trip for our first away game of the season, their stadium is 233 miles away from Ashton Gate!  If you are driving you might want to go via Scunthorpe on the M180 and enjoy the great views from the Humber Bridge. Due to train strikes on Saturday, it will be difficult to get to Hull from Bristol. However if you do manage it, the nearest station is Hull Paragon Station which is about a 20 minute walk from the stadium.

They featured in our biggest home victory last season:

At their place a 91st minute Matty James goal gave us a point.

However, the game on 24 May 2008 is the result that most of us will remember most painfully of all:

After a 56 year stay at Boothferry Park, Hull moved into the MKM Stadium (previously the KCOM Stadium) in 2002. It is also home to Rugby League team Hull FC. It is a modern stadium, and has won a number of awards for its design.

NP spent 17 months in charge at Hull City, inheriting a side in June 2010 that had been relegated from the Premier League under Iain Dowie.

They finished last season with four points less than us in 19th place.

Hull City headed to Türkiye and Spain in pre-season in preparation for the new campaign.

Their first pre-season friendly was against Turkish giants Fenerbahçe at the Sakarya Atatürk Stadium in Adapazarı, which Hull lost 2-0

The Tigers then headed to southern Spain for a seven-day warm-weather training camp at the renowned Marbella Football Centre on the Costa del Sol. They played two matches while there the first behind closed doors against Brighton and Hove Albion’s Under-23s which they won 2-1 and the second against Spanish Segunda División side Málaga, which they won 3-1.

Shota Arveladze’s men returned to East Yorkshire on Sunday 17 July.

They beat Cambridge United 2-1 in a pre-season game. Last Saturday they lost 3-0 away at recently relegated Peterborough, with Sammie Szmodics getting two, their line up was: (3-4-1-2): Ingram; Figueiredo, McLoughlin, Greaves; Coyle (C), Seri, Slater, Fleming (Jacob 46’); Tufan; Allahyar, Estupiñán (Tetteh 72’). Subs Not Used: Fisk, Wallis, Hall. Shota Arveladze naming the same starting XI that faced Leicester City in the Corendon Cup at the MKM Stadium, which they lost 4-0:

After the game their manager came across as clinically depressed! 

They look to be a challenging team for commentators given their summer business! They have been very busy, Shota Arveladze has bolstered Hull’s squad with ten new additions in the summer transfer window.

Nathan Baxter

Baxter has rejoined Hull City on a second season-long loan from Chelsea after spending the previous campaign at the MKM Stadium. The 23-year-old was initially signed to deputise for Matt Ingram when he arrived at the club last summer. He made his Championship debut in a 2-0 win at Barnsley in November 2021 and retained his place between the sticks for 12 matches until a hand injury ruled him out for 10 games. He was restored into the starting XI for the final four league matches of the season, while Ingram headed out on an emergency short-term loan at Luton Town.

Tobias Figueiredo

Figueiredo featured 28 times for Nottingham Forest last season as he helped them return to the Premier League after a 23-year hiatus. He was deemed surplus to requirements by Steve Cooper following their Championship play-off final victory, after spending four-and-a-half years at the City Ground. The 28-year-old initially joined Forest on-loan in January 2018 before signing on a permanent basis from Sporting CP in the summer of that year. He made 121 appearances for Forest and will add both quality and experience to Hull’s back-line. Free.

Ozan Tufan

Tufan will be determined to prove himself in England after his loan deal at Watfor$ was terminated by Roy Hodgson in February. The 27-year-old, who has 65 caps for Turkey, played just seven times for the Hornets in the Premier League.

He is a product of Bursaspor’s academy and went onto register four goals and 10 assists in 66 appearances for the Green Crocodiles. He switched to Turkish heavyweights Fenerbahce in the summer of 2015 but has failed to win a single trophy with the club.

The versatile Turkish international can play in both a defensive or attacking capacity in the heart of midfield but also has experience as a right-back and right midfielder. Undisclosed

Jean Michael Seri

This free signing is seen as a real coup for the club. Not only does he have top-flight experience in Portugal, France, England and Turkey, but he also played 33 times as Fulham lifted the Championship title last season.

Seri started his career at Ivorian outfit ASEC Mimosas, who are famed for producing some of Ivory Coast’s biggest talent, including the likes of Didier Zokora, Yaya Toure, Kolo Toure, Salomon Kalou and Emmanuel Eboue.

He started his European adventure with a loan stint for FC Porto’s B team. Since then, Seri has taken in spells at Pacos de Ferreira, OGC Nice, Fulham, Galatasaray and Bordeaux respectively. His spell at Nice was perhaps the finest of his career as the Eaglets finished 3rd in the French top-flight and Seri was named in the Ligue 1 Team of the Season in 2016-17.

Dogukan Sinik

Sinik has spent his entire professional career at Antalyaspor, bar a loan spell with third-tier outfit Antalya Kemerspor in 2017-18 and made 122 appearances for the club. The 23-year-old enjoyed his best individual campaign for the Scorpions last term – scoring three goals and providing seven assists in 32 league appearances.

His performances even earned him his first call-up for Turkey in March 2022. Sinik has made a good start to his international career with two goals in his first five caps. Undisclosed

Oscar Estupinan

Only bottom place Barnsley (33) scored fewer goals than Hull (41) in the Championship last term. Keane Lewis-Potter finished as their leading goal scorer with 12 goals but left for Brentford this summer, while Tom Eaves and George Honeyman, who scored five each, have also left the club.

Therefore, it’ll be intriguing to see who takes up the goal scoring responsibilities for the Tigers next season. If Estupinan can adapt to English football then he could be a very good bet.

The 25-year-old joined Vitoria de Guimaraes from Colombian side Once Caldas in 2017. He struggled to break into the side during his first two seasons in Portugal and was loaned out to Ecuadorian outfit Barcelona SC Guayaquil and Turkish side Denizlispor respectively.

Estupinan returned from Turkey to score eight times in 23 matches in the Portuguese top-flight and enjoyed his best scoring season yet with a further 15 goals in 28 matches last term.

He made his debut for Colombia in June 2022 and joined Hull on a free transfer after his contract with Vitoria expired at the end of the season. Undisclosed

Benjamin Tetteh

Benjamin Tetteh became the latest arrival of this summers transfer window last Saturday. He has spent the last two seasons in Turkey with Yeni Malatyaspor – amassing 14 goals and 10 assists in 60 appearances.

He started his European career with Standard Liege but failed to break into the side in Belgium. A move to Czech Republic reignited his career as he joined Sparta Prague following his loan spell with Bohemians Prague during the 2017-18 campaign.

Tetteh scored 11 times in 28 matches during his debut season at Sparta Prague and scored a further eight goals in all competitions in his second and final campaign in Czech Republic.

He won the Czech Cup in 2018, setting up the winning goal for Guelor Kanga in the final against Slovan Liberec. Tetteh has also played seven times for Ghana and could feature at the 2022 World Cup as they face a group containing Portugal, Uruguay and South Korea. Free.

Allahyar Sayyadmanesh

Sayyadmanesh signed on a permanent basis from Fenerbahce on a four-year contract with an option for a further year on 9 July. He joined the Tigers on-loan in January. He scored once in 12 appearances and was named Hull City’s Player of the Month in April 2022.

The 21-year-old joined Fenerbahce from Iranian side Esteghlal but made just three appearances for the Turkish outfit. He spent a short stint on-loan in the Turkish second-tier with Istanbulspor, before joining Zorya Luhansk on-loan for one-and-a-half seasons, scoring 15 goals in 50 matches.  Undisclosed.

Vaughn Covil - Forest Green Rovers, free

Jack Leckie - Burnley, free

More arrivals are expected for the Yorkshire club and they are reported to be working on two new arrivals from the Premier League. One is a number 10 and the other is defender but it is yet to be known whether they will arrive on time for this weekend’s game.

Outgoings:

Keane Lewis-Potter - Brentford, £20m

George Honeyman - Millwall, undisclosed

George Moncur - Leyton Orient, undisclosed

Tom Eaves - Rotherham United, free

Richie Smallwood - Bradford City, free

Harvey Cartwright - Peterborough United, free

Tom Huddlestone - released

Louis Beckett - released

Henry Curtis - released

Sam Deacon - released

Rio Dyer - released

Billy Leach - released

Admed Salam - released

Their expected starting line up is below. 

Following the Turkish broadcasting group, Acun Medya, completion of the £30 million takeover, new Hull City owner Acun Ilicali said he will do ‘the craziest things’ owners have ever done in the history of football as he seeks to put his own stamp on a club he has ‘fallen in love’ with.The Turkish businessman and TV producer saw his purchase of the Tigers finally completed in January after the Yorkshire club captured his interest six months earlier. His first interview: https://youtu.be/7g2kGKfdFEI

Pubs

Hull facts

Hull is named after the River Hull. Its proper name is Kingston-upon-Hull.

Boiled sweets, liquid crystal displays (LCDs) and Lemsip all had their origins in Hull.

Hull is proud of its many uniquely designed public toilets which even attract coach parties!

The George Hotel in Hull claims to have the smallest window in England.

Hull is home to The Deep, which calls itself the “world’s only submarium”. Visitors may see its 3,500 fish, including sharks and manta rays, while walking under the water through a viewing tunnel.

People from Hull are referred to as Hullensians.

In 1856, Thomas James Smith opened a chemist's shop in Hull and established his business selling cod liver oil to hospitals.

And finally, when during closed-season I asked for suggestions on how to improve the match-day thread posting it earlier was mentioned, thereby giving more time for fans to contribute and time for Big Tone to provide a condensed version. I will try to post them a bit earlier, however, that may not always be possible.

FCF41F50-7663-45A9-A504-157C437B8A07.jpeg

Great job JB.. you're off to a flyer. Currently camping up here in Kakadu national Park..  only one place I'd rather be later today.. 3-1 to us. COYR's

• Like 2
On 27/07/2022 at 00:01, Gazred said:

They've certainly made some interesting signings.

I suppose everything points to them struggling early on but who knows. I think it's a great time to be playing them away personally.

I think Hull may do well towards the end of the season. Yes a great test for us playing away. I would expect it to be a close game and a narrow win by us Hull 1 City 2. 

Hope you 1,000 or so traveling away have a great time. 

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I assume you mean Simpson and Downing, if so you couldn't be further from the truth. All the players were disappointed that Simpson never recovered sufficiently to coach as he was working before, and Pearson himself wanted Downing to stay if the finances would have allowed.

The biggest issue we had last season was that "Paddy" was the only senior coach for too long, especially when Pearson himself was not well enough to cover the missing personnel.

I assume he means Ashton & Johnson but may be wrong 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, italian dave said:

Bring a coat …….currently raining in York and in Hull heavy rain forecast for 3pm ? 

Not on my app - says 0 precipitation this afternoon and 25 degrees! It's drizzling and miserable now however but I believe that's the standard start to a day in Hull.

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

All the best for the coming season and let’s hope we both get promoted. It’s the hope that kills us!

Cheers. I must admit I’m unsure of Swindon’s incomings and outgoings, what are the expectations for this season? Play offs or a real shot at automatics? 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, italian dave said:

Bring a coat …….currently raining in York and in Hull heavy rain forecast for 3pm ? 

Humidity 84%, temp 22.0 C, rain and wind at 15KMPH. Not sure what this has too do with a football match and especially one we will win 2-1. COYRedssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

31 minutes ago, Offside said:

The new season seems to have come around very quickly this year. I’m feeling confident we can get something out of today’s  game. Safe journey to the City fans making the trip. 

It's a couple of weeks earlier than normal due to the world cup break I think.

• Like 1

Afternoon all, well it is here!   Really looking forward to the KO and I hope that we can get a good three points to start off with.  Pleased that the Robins audio commentary is back with Radio Bristol, hopefully Gary Owers will be the co-commentator.  So for the first time this season COME ON YOU RED'S!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Robin 2
40 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Cheers. I must admit I’m unsure of Swindon’s incomings and outgoings, what are the expectations for this season? Play offs or a real shot at automatics? 

Cheers, in all honesty I don’t have a clue what to expect similar to last season.

we have Scott Lindsey as the new manager who was No2 to Garner so yet again unproven and as you guys know very rarely succeed. We lost 3 players to Charlton including Jojo & Jack Payne plus a few others who were out of contract. 
Incomings to date are 11 players plus a couple of loans mainly all younger inexperienced players apart from defender Angus McDonald  who they are looking to develop. 

The fanbase still seem interested selling out the 600 tickets for today’s game at Harrogate in under 24 hours to season ticket holders and wouldn’t give us anymore.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

All the best for the coming season and let’s hope we both get promoted. It’s the hope that kills us!

Thanks for your kind words. 

Sadly, the only 2 games I wanted you to win last season, won't be on your fixture list this season. 

I share your hopes that City do well, but find myself unable to reciprocate those wishes towards Swindon - Soz & all..! 

• Haha 1

I've had a look at their forum https://www.not606.com/threads/hull-city-v-bristol-city.401670/

One poster sums today up for every Fan "Not hugely fussed on the result tomorrow, if we win we aren't definitely going up and if we lose it isn't season over ....I'm just glad footballs back and we are in a better place then this time last season"

Whereas another posted "Definite must win, I expect this will turn out to have been a 6 pointer towards the tail end of the season."

9 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Over the years I’ve managed to eradicate my many football superstitions, however, given that last night a Championship team beginning with H lost at home to a team beginning with B obviously means I’m now superstitious again! 

Correction.

Last night a team beginning with H lost to a team beginning with V ( Vincent Kompany's Burnley )

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

I would take a draw today.
We generally don’t start seasons that well and worried a 1 - 0 defeat could happen. Scrappy game with few chances. Might need a few games to gel a few new signings.

They have 9 new signings, or did you mean them?

Edited by pillred
Spelling