IGNORED

New Reading Kit

Could be worse. They could be advertising IVF.

Via Wynes & Nicholas, Environmental Research Letters the below would (per person taking action) save the specified number of tonnes of CO2 per year...

• Have one less child, 58.6
  • Live car free, 2.4
  • Avoid one transatlantic flight, 1.6
  • Buy green energy, 1.47
  • Switch electric car to car free, 1.15
  • Eat a plant based diet, 0.82
  • Replace typical car with hybrid, 0.52
  • Wash clothes in cold water, 0.25
  • Hang dry clothes, 0.21
  • Recycle, 0.21
  • Upgrade light bulbs, 0.1
Edited by TBW
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Fair play for them for doing something and highlighting the issue though rather than make snide comments most likely seen in a Daily Mail comments section ? It seems to have wound up the GB News lots so that's a bonus... 

They have admitted they are not perfect. The new shirt is also 100& recyclable and made from recycled plastic bottles, and they have listed a lot of other initiatives they have started: https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2022/june/21/show-your-stripes-and-share-our-hoops-for-the-future/ so another step in the right direction. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, TBW said:

Could be worse. They could be advertising IVF.

Via Wynes & Nicholas, Environmental Research Letters the below would (per person taking action) save the specified number of tonnes of CO2 per year...

• Have one less child, 58.6
  • Live car free, 2.4
  • Avoid one transatlantic flight, 1.6
  • Buy green energy, 1.47
  • Switch electric car to car free, 1.15
  • Eat a plant based diet, 0.82
  • Replace typical car with hybrid, 0.52
  • Wash clothes in cold water, 0.25
  • Hang dry clothes, 0.21
  • Recycle, 0.21
  • Upgrade light bulbs, 0.1

Why would advertising IVF be worse?  I don’t understand unless you are not talking about fertility treatment?

12 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Why would advertising IVF be worse?  I don’t understand unless you are not talking about fertility treatment?

That would be in relation to what's in his post.... 

Kids are the biggest contributors to a person's emissions, apparently. 

I'm not sure what it is you don't get..? 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, !james said:

Fair play for them for doing something and highlighting the issue though rather than make snide comments most likely seen in a Daily Mail comments section ? It seems to have wound up the GB News lots so that's a bonus... 

They have admitted they are not perfect. The new shirt is also 100& recyclable and made from recycled plastic bottles, and they have listed a lot of other initiatives they have started: https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2022/june/21/show-your-stripes-and-share-our-hoops-for-the-future/ so another step in the right direction. 

Oh please. The majority of people seeing this virtue signalling would have said what a load of shite and gone back to whatever they were doing before. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

That would be in relation to what's in his post.... 

Kids are the biggest contributors to a person's emissions, apparently. 

I'm not sure what it is you don't get..? 

I think It’s referring to rising populations rather than the actually extra kid, I.e. having less kids across the board will reduce populations and therefore CO2 over the course of their lifetimes, or something like that, it defo has nothing to do with the IVF process specifically.  

You can book me for parties or nights out ?

Edited by Tinmans Love Child

8 hours ago, !james said:

The new shirt is also 100& recyclable and made from recycled plastic bottles

I'm definitely in support of green initiatives and positive environmental action - and see this as a step in the right direction -  but a shirt from 100% recycled plastic bottles is still one of the biggest contributors to plastics entering the ecosystem. The majority of microplastics in the ocean come from the washing and laundry of synthetic fibre clothing, so all this really does is shift the problem from the ocean being filled with plastic to the ocean being filled with recycled plastic.

The real issue is that global plastic production has doubled between 2000 and 2019 and is continuing to increase at the same rate - although I don't really blame Reading's home kit for this.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Selred said:

Actually far more economical than everyone owning their own cars.

Shared car usage is the best from a financial and sustainability perspective. Most cars spend most of their time sat still, not being used. Sharing them makes much more sense.

And don't get me started on having a boiler in every home...

16 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

As someone whose children were born via IVF, I laughed at this and it didn't bother me in the slightest.

And - for reference - we had IVF because of me. 

• Like 2

So much virtue signalling when it comes to climate awareness and actions.

The common man being told to change his ways, while the elite, big business, carry on doing whatever they want. 

The latest being farming. The world elite have decided farming is evil and a massive contribution to climate problems. So they want to get rid of farming. To eventually eat food grown in factories. Petri dish food.

Governments and elite grabbing farming land. With no intention of farming. Check out how much farm land Bill Gates has bought up in the States, just so it can't be used. Whilst pilling Billions into factories producing Petri dish food. Our planned future consumption.

Check out what's happening with the farmers in Holland.

Even our own Government have introduced a new initiative for farmers here to pack it in, and apply for a minimum £100k pay off to do so.

Meanwhile nutters like Elon Musk and his play rockets...

Elon Musk’s SpaceX Starship SN15 released 358 tonnes of CO2 during its first complete high-altitude flight on 5 May.

This emissions total is the same amount that 4.6 million people in the UK released in the same time period, according to data we sourced from Everyday Astronaut and the Office for National Statistics.

That's an 11 minute flight.

Searching apparently so that one day we maybe able to live somewhere else...whilst NASA have said after 6 months in a Space Station, the muscle and bones of the astronauts have aged 10 years. So there is no chance we as humans could ever live elsewhere.

Never gets spoken about by mainstream media....it won't be, as most are owned by the same narcissistic nutters.

Just watch...this next year, all you will hear about is climate change...it's the new narrative. 

Recycling your rubbish and buying a 'green' football shirt means jack shit in the big picture. 

Until Russia, China, South America, Asia change their polluting nothing will change. Pretty much the biggest populations in the world.

Yet little ol' UK is told we have to change so drastically. 

So much bollocks and virtue signalling.

• Like 8
  • Flames 3

31 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

As someone whose children were born via IVF, I laughed at this and it didn't bother me in the slightest.

And - for reference - we had IVF because of me. 

Same here, both my children were born through IVF (including my 2nd daughter 4 weeks ago) and also because of me.  I wasn’t offended, it just didn’t make sense

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

The common man being told to change his ways, while the elite, big business, carry on doing whatever they want. 

The latest being farming. The world elite have decided farming is evil and a massive contribution to climate problems. So they want to get rid of farming. To eventually eat food grown in factories. Petri dish food.

Governments and elite grabbing farming land. With no intention of farming. Check out how much farm land Bill Gates has bought up in the States, just so it can't be used. Whilst pilling Billions into factories producing Petri dish food. Our planned future consumption.

Even our own Government have introduced a new initiative for farmers here to pack it in, and apply for a minimum £100k pay off to do so.

Elon Musk’s SpaceX Starship SN15 released 358 tonnes of CO2 during its first complete high-altitude flight on 5 May.

This emissions total is the same amount that 4.6 million people in the UK released in the same time period, according to data we sourced from Everyday Astronaut and the Office for National Statistics.

Searching apparently so that one day we maybe able to live somewhere else...whilst NASA have said after 6 months in a Space Station, the muscle and bones of the astronauts have aged 10 years. So there is no chance we as humans could ever live elsewhere.

Never gets spoken about by mainstream media....it won't be, as most are owned by the same narcissistic nutters.

Just watch...this next year, all you will hear about is climate change...it's the new narrative. 

Recycling your rubbish and buying a 'green' football shirt means jack shit in the big picture. 

Until Russia, China, South America, Asia change their polluting nothing will change. Pretty much the biggest populations in the world.

Very true. If the whole of the UK switched off, it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. Its the big polluters, China, India, USA etc. It wont stop, it will get worse. Mother Nature has a way of correcting things for herself, and it wont be pretty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

100% Agee, for example recycling in the UK is a complete sham just to make us feel better about ourselves, many many stories out there on what actually happens to all this stuff we recycle, which mostly involves paying other countries to take it off our hands and dump it!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/17/plastic-recycling-myth-what-really-happens-your-rubbish

• Flames 1

12 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

They say that if the insects disappeared overnight then life on earth would be killed off within a few years.

But if humans disappeared overnight the planet would immediately start to thrive. Says it all. 

Anyway, what’s all this got to do with the fact that there’s only one team in Bristol?

Doc on Netflix is good about fishing industry, there was an oil tanker spill that resulted in much improved fish stocks as the fisherman couldn’t fish because of the oil slick! Humans are locusts pure and simple!  Anyway COYR!

• Like 1

Those modern-day ‘greens’ letting down car tyres of vehicles with emissions that are generally far less damaging than 70-80-90s camper vans that are currently in vogue with their mates make I laugh. Setting aside targeting the wrong vehicles, they remind me of stewards on the Titanic re-arranging the deckchairs. Well-meaning but as much use as chocolate teapots

What they don’t get, or ideologically don’t want to see, is that the main contributor to Climate Change and, Biodiversity Loss is human population growth. That’s the iceberg.  Mind you, the religious/political extremists of the ilk of Brexit-Moggy and Bunter are the worse culprits with their 6-8-10 children.

The Green Party needs to re-invent and purify itself and get back to when it was a genuine Environmental Grouping, based on science and fact as it was in the early 80’s.

COYRs.

Edited by RedRock

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Same here, both my children were born through IVF (including my 2nd daughter 4 weeks ago) and also because of me.  I wasn’t offended, it just didn’t make sense

It absolutely makes sense.

Creating an extra person who is going to live 70-100 years is a much bigger burden on the Earth than someone using a car. Promoting IVF promotes having children where there would otherwise be no children, thus increasing the population and adding to emissions to a much harsher degree... especially if the child goes on to have kids, and they do, and they do and so on.

I believe it's a 40-60% likelihood that a successful IVF pregnancy results in twins too, so double the emissions.

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

Those modern-day ‘greens’ letting down car tyres of vehicles with emissions that are generally far less damaging than 70-80-90s camper vans that are currently in vogue with their mates make I laugh. Setting aside targeting the wrong vehicles, they remind me of stewards on the Titanic re-arranging the deckchairs. Well-meaning but as much use as chocolate teapots

What they don’t get, or ideologically don’t want to see, is that the main contributor to Climate Change and, Biodiversity Loss is human population growth. That’s the iceberg.  Mind you, the religious/political extremists of the ilk of Brexit-Moggy and Bunter are the worse culprits with their 6-8-10 children.

The Green Party needs to re-invent and purify itself and get back to when it was a genuine Environmental Grouping, based on science and fact as it was in the early 80’s.

COYRs.

China and india the biggest culprits but try saying anything against em..... 

• Hmmm 1

28 minutes ago, TBW said:

It absolutely makes sense.

Creating an extra person who is going to live 70-100 years is a much bigger burden on the Earth than someone using a car. Promoting IVF promotes having children where there would otherwise be no children, thus increasing the population and adding to emissions to a much harsher degree... especially if the child goes on to have kids, and they do, and they do and so on.

I believe it's a 40-60% likelihood that a successful IVF pregnancy results in twins too, so double the emissions.

It doesn’t, your stats are wrong.  In the Uk they used to use multiple embryos as they thought it gave more success, but all it did was create more multiple births, so practice now is to use single embryos as safer for mother and gives just as much chance.  40% is pretty much top end success, nowhere near 60%.  Check out BRCM website, lots of info on there.  

• Confused 1

IVF treatment is the very least of our worries.

The greater concern are the political/religious breeding extremists and the reckless breeders who produce without any concern from anything other than their own self -interest.

Having spent most of my life fighting the environmental cause, I’ve given up on humans and reached the same conclusion as one of the postings above, in that virtually every other species would be better off without us.

An extreme view maybe, but you can bang your head against a brick wall only for so long. I just hope that there is as little suffering caused to individuals of the human race and other species in reaching the point of planet ‘reset’. Nature is by far the greater force over man, we are naive in the extreme to think otherwise. 

I also hope we make it to the Premier League before the reset. COYRs.

• Like 1