IGNORED

Offside Clarification - Deliberately played the ball

Davefevs

image.thumb.png.eef2232171cf56928c02b1844f7b8c66.png

For once, I actually think this clarifies the position.  It’ll never be black and white, but trying to block a pass or tackle an opponent and inadvertently deflecting it to a player in an offside position, should still be offside, even though the article above confuses itself with the scenarios used.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For once, I actually think this clarifies the position.  It’ll never be black and white, but trying to block a pass or tackle an opponent and inadvertently deflecting it to a player in an offside position, should still be offside, even though the article above confuses itself with the scenarios used.

The handball rule needs a complete overhaul imo.

Most penalties given, are often for discretions that wouldn't have led to a shot or chance of a goal.

The award of a free shot on goal often doesn't justify the discrimination.

It's now virtually impossible to defend properly inside the box.

Seeing players trying to defend with their hands behind their back...how ludicrous is that scenario?

It's now become a joke.

The money, work, time, investment and energy used to make your team the best it can possibly be...all often undone by an award of a penalty for nothing.

It's ruined the game imo.

• Like 2

I'm struggling a little with that. I get it in essence but what about this scenario...

Ball is bouncing on the edge of the box, defender stretches a bit to hoof it clear whist the ball is in the air, shanks it to an opposition player behind the defensive line. Is he offside?

It's the coordinate body movement and the ball being easier to play on the ground that leaves it a bit grey for me.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For once, I actually think this clarifies the position.

Except that a officials now need to consider 5 bullet points before making a decision apparently. Including what constitutes travelling from a distance, moving quickly and so on.

By adding those bullet points, no doubt in good faith, they may have provided more sticks to beat officials with.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Except that a officials now need to consider 5 bullet points before making a decision apparently. Including what constitutes travelling from a distance, moving quickly and so on.

By adding those bullet points, no doubt in good faith, they may have provided more sticks to beat officials with.

My thoughts exactly. Guidelines are useful, but there's now five explicit things to debate rather than one. Is a referee/linesman expected to run through all of that, in real time, during a game?

There's a disconnect (as there is with VAR generally) between the precision of the technology used to review the incident - video, digital lines etc - and the interpretation of the written words used to analyse that technology.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

My thoughts exactly. Guidelines are useful, but there's now five explicit things to debate rather than one. Is a referee/linesman expected to run through all of that, in real time, during a game?

There's a disconnect (as there is with VAR generally) between the precision of the technology used to review the incident - video, digital lines etc - and the interpretation of the written words used to analyse that technology.

Its interesting and beneficial to look at the examples - https://red.fifa.com/play/collection/13010/Law11-Offside:deliberateplayanddeflection?cId=16&itemId=12995

7 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Might well be interesting and beneficial but sharing an inaccessible link to an invite-only service isn't going to help many people here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Might well be interesting and beneficial but sharing an inaccessible link to an invite-only service isn't going to help many people here.

I oddly can access it witout registering. Check the IFAB site or go through the links here at the bottom - Refereeing World: Offside: ‘deliberate play’ guidelines clarified

It is interesting to go through the examples. My Son refs and doesnt get eight. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

How does this work for goalkeepers?

Having scanned the above there is no mention of them at all, assuming it will still be offside if somebody shoots, keeper saves and rebounds to somebody who was offside when the initial shot was hit?

But in that same scenario, if it hits a defender and not the keeper e.g. goal line clearance it would then become onside...?