IGNORED

Losing the right players

Unan

Yeh, I was going to post about this a week or two ago when E361 published his "Squad Churn" graphic. I didn't in the end because from what I could see he'd got his figures a little wrong. Basically his donut graphic shows us having kept all of our 15 most used players from last season. But, from every source I checked against, O'Dowda was No.14 in that ranking, so I doubted E361's figures. But with this broad corroboration (note that E361's figures are as of 8 July, so now a little out of date) I feel ok to post the below. Big picture is the same - we've retained the core of our team (for better or worse) and shed the deadwood.

2022-07-08-101.png?w=860&h=792

Just now, Davefevs said:

Guess 0.08, percentage-ised (8%) ain’t far off 92.6%?

Yeh, it's really close. it was just I counted the coloured segments, and he had us as retaining all of the top 15. But on both whoscored and transfermarkt O'Dowda was 14th...so I was suspicious. However once you get down into those levels of minutes the difference between players is in single figures. The variance is allowable.

Only lost 5% of our goals as well. There's naturally a reasonably strong correlation between minutes and goals "lost" - because players only score goals when they get minutes.

These two graphs really do demonstrate how much our opponents on Saturday have changed from the 5-0 humping we delivered a couple of months ago.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I love the fact that Hull have lost most of their goals from last season :) and have a high turn over

Bear in mind as well that Hull only scored 41 goals last season. Therefore each single goal represents a bigger slice of their total, and so the 69% loss is a little misleading. Losing 69% of 41 (it's presumably 28 goals they've lost) is actually fairly similar to Reading losing 43% of the 54 they scored (23 goals). It's a lot to replace though, but they've recruited aggressively in the hope of doing that.

Percentages are the best way to express and compare this stuff, but they can hide some crucial info.

Consistency of playing staff, zero disruption to said playing staff and adding quality and balance to it all could actually lead us to having a potentially very good season.

it’s clear no pundit or armchair stato has factored the above into their thoughts on our season outcome.

I don’t mind flying under the radar until people are forced to take notice

least said about secondtierpod the better….