IGNORED

Football Grounds Of England And Wales

Norn Iron

A great article.

https://theathletic.com/3372897/2022/07/28/the-92-club-football-grounds/

I also bought the Simon Inglis book in 1982. It would often go with me on Coach 2 back in the day. 

The rules are interesting for qualification purposes re joining the 92. However, how many have done the 92 clubs with only one rule, that Bristol City were playing there at the time?

In that case, I have done 73. Old Trafford doesn't count as I was watching England in a World Cup qualifier.

But then what about visiting the grounds that are current for the particular club? I went to Roker Park in mid 90s (we drove. 0-0 btw). That won't count even though I'm scheduled to go to Stadium Of Light in Feb 23. Using this rule I am nearing 50 clubs. 

The 2 clubs demoted from the EFL were visited by me but then so are the new clubs to re-join League 2. 

I am sure there are some otibers that have achieved 92 status. If he hasn't, Slartibartfast would be pretty close.

So, how many clubs have you visited (old stadium counts) purely to watch BCFC?

How many current league grounds have you visited purely to watch BCFC?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

A great article.

I also bought the Simon Inglis book in 1982. It would often go with me on Coach 2 back in the day. 

The rules are interesting for qualification purposes re joining the 92. However, how many have done the 92 clubs with only one rule, that Bristol City were playing there at the time?

In that case, I have done 73. Old Trafford doesn't count as I was watching England in a World Cup qualifier.

But then what about visiting the grounds that are current for the particular club? I went to Roker Park in mid 90s (we drove. 0-0 btw). That won't count even though I'm scheduled to go to Stadium Of Light in Feb 23. Using this rule I am nearing 50 clubs. 

The 2 clubs demoted from the EFL were visited by me but then so are the new clubs to re-join League 2. 

I am sure there are some otibers that have achieved 92 status. If he hasn't, Slartibartfast would be pretty close.

Would be surprised if anyone has seen City play at Barrow

26 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

A great article.

I tried it over many, many years, including our drop from the top to the bottom but, it's virtually impossible with clubs that we have visited dropping out of the league being replaced by others, new grounds don't help either.

I gave up at 76 as we just didn't play the others and I've lost a fair few since then (Wrexham, Chesterfield, Notts C, Stockport (think they're back now), Rushden and Diamonds etc).

I don't think it can be done TBH.

• Like 1

A lot, but also so many of the grounds I saw us playing at no longer exist;

Highbury, Maine Rd, Ayresome Pk, Roker, Chesterfield, Walsall, Cardiff, Swansea, West Ham, Oxford, Coventry, Hull, Wigan, Rotherham, Derby, Colchester off the top of my head.

Edited by GrahamC

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

I tried it over many, many years, including our drop from the top to the bottom but, it's virtually impossible with clubs that we have visited dropping out of the league being replaced by others, new grounds don't help either.

I gave up at 76 as we just didn't play the others and I've lost a fair few since then (Wrexham, Chesterfield, Notts C, Stockport (think they're back now), Rushden and Diamonds etc).

I don't think it can be done TBH.

Only with a convenient FA cup run..! 

Likewise, there's more on my list of been too's that are now non league, or were away Cup games against non league. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

A great article.

Yes, it was essential reading on that coach, I obviously thumbed through your copy before buying my own a nd also the updated version later on .In the first book I remember I worked out that I did 91 out of the original 92...........Newcastle being the only missing one (still is ).

• Like 2

A great article.

Up to a couple of years ago (pre-covid) Nigal did the 92, including all the new ones.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

The first figure is including non league grounds, mostly all of those with City. But where skews the figures the same ground can get counted twice. I've seen City away to Charlton, at Palace and West Ham, as well as their own ground. 
Only done a couple of grounds without City. Highbury and Braintree spring to mind.

1433281265_Screenshot2022-07-28at16_59_35.png.c1add548347cfcd5bfbe44a22a242350.png

13 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The first figure is including non league grounds, mostly all of those with City. But where skews the figures the same ground can get counted twice. I've seen City away to Charlton, at Palace and West Ham, as well as their own ground. 
Only done a couple of grounds without City. Highbury and Braintree spring to mind.

1433281265_Screenshot2022-07-28at16_59_35.png.c1add548347cfcd5bfbe44a22a242350.png

Ah Charlton! That was the other team I've seem us play away, at a ground that wasn't theirs. 

Seen us play Charlton at Upton Park & The Valley. 

I've seen us play Brighton at Godstone, Withdean & Amex. 

I've seen us play Coventry at Ricoh & Northampton - although others will also be able to list Highfield Rd & possibly St. Andrews.

Is 4 the highest number of grounds that you could have seen us play at, against 1 opposition (excluding Wembley)...? 

20 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Up to a couple of years ago (pre-covid) Nigal did the 92, including all the new ones.

A few of our acquaintances had the shirt last season Slarti but not, of course, seeing City play. Many years back I got fairly close counting only City visits (courtesy of the golden period of relegations,) but gave up what with the replacement and majorly remodelled grounds, not to mention the ins and outs of the league.

• Like 1

A great article.

It’s 75 for me watching city (only counting each club once if I’ve been to old and new). Also including Ashton Gate! Also slight cheat that I’m counting Wimbledon but know it’s not the same club anymore (FA cup replay early 90s).

Total grounds is 178 with the others being City games against teams not in the 92 anymore, Weston matches, England trips and a few European football road trips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zookeeper WSM said:

It’s 75 for me watching city (only counting each club once if I’ve been to old and new). Also including Ashton Gate! Also slight cheat that I’m counting Wimbledon but know it’s not the same club anymore (FA cup replay early 90s).

I went there as well - we won 1-0, but wasn't it played at Selhurst Park?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Off the top of my head i  have done 63 if think 

Gas mate of mine (Used to post on here as Redneetot has been to over 140 grounds watching the gas

He closest he came to the 92 was 90  Elland Road and Bramall  Lane were the 2 he didnt have

He cheated, they went down to non-league....not fair !

• Haha 2

That is one of my fave books norm, i was known to carry it around too.

Reckon ive done at least 60 leauge and couldnt put a figure on non leauge.

Harrogate railway, and bradford park ave, i recall going wilson days i think.

For one of the games,  recall we left about 5am, think there was road issues, and early ko.

16 hours ago, GrahamC said:

A lot, but also so many of the grounds I saw us playing at no longer exist;

Highbury, Maine Rd, Ayresome Pk, Roker, Chesterfield, Walsall, Cardiff, Swansea, West Ham, Oxford, Coventry, Hull, Wigan, Rotherham, Derby, Colchester off the top of my head.

Likwise: Chester, Derby, Brighton, Sags (x2), Brentford, West Ham, Oxford, Millwall...and Spurs, but I wasn't watching City (went with a mate who was an Oldham fan)

Edited by SecretSam
West Spam

26 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Likwise: Chester, Derby, Brighton, Sags (x2), Brentford, West Ham, Oxford, Millwall...and Spurs, but I wasn't watching City (went with a mate who was an Oldham fan)

Thanks for the prompt, Brentford should have been on my original list, too.

Seen us play the few at 3 grounds (Eastville, Twerton & Horfield) but I still include them because unlike those above, I’ve seen us at their current one.

Edited by GrahamC