IGNORED

Moving to Toronto, Canada

Ecko

Myself and my partner (not married) are looking to emigrate to Toronto next year through my work. 

Just wondering if anyone here has had experience, or know of anyone who has emigrated to Canada, or specifically, Toronto? 

If so, is there anything you would recommend doing prior? Where to stay? Things to do etc? 

Would be grateful for some advice. 

On my couple of visits there I found it a bit of a sprawl. It's lovely in parts (like many Cities) but a trip up the CN Tower on a clear day will give you an idea of the scale of the place.

The good news is that the public transport system is one of the best in the world and it's a flat fee for single trips, no fare zones etc,whether you use overground or underground options.

It's also famously the cleanest of Cities, the joke is that "you can tell if someone is from Toronto by the content of their pockets" (because they don't throw anything away) .

Good luck with the move, I am big fan of Canada, although Vancouver is my first choice if I was ever to get the option to go.

58 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

On my couple of visits there I found it a bit of a sprawl. It's lovely in parts (like many Cities) but a trip up the CN Tower on a clear day will give you an idea of the scale of the place.

The good news is that the public transport system is one of the best in the world and it's a flat fee for single trips, no fare zones etc,whether you use overground or underground options.

It's also famously the cleanest of Cities, the joke is that "you can tell if someone is from Toronto by the content of their pockets" (because they don't throw anything away) .

Good luck with the move, I am big fan of Canada, although Vancouver is my first choice if I was ever to get the option to go.

I was shocked by the amount of homeless beggars in Vancouver. There is apparently quite a big drugs problem.

13 hours ago, Ecko said:

Myself and my partner (not married) are looking to emigrate to Toronto next year through my work. 

Just wondering if anyone here has had experience, or know of anyone who has emigrated to Canada, or specifically, Toronto? 

If so, is there anything you would recommend doing prior? Where to stay? Things to do etc? 

Just general tips for emigrating;

1. Say yes. Whatever anyone invites you to, or asks you to do, or suggests, say yes. In those first few months this will be the best way to see your new home, and meet the new people in your life.

2. Ask questions. What's good to eat? Where's good to go? Why do people do X, Y, or Z? Again, learn about your new home, and find what you enjoy.

3. Try not to compare Toronto/Canada to the UK. It's a new place, new customs, new characters. Take it for what it is and try not to think of it as "better" or "worse" than where you live now.

4. Check the legal stuff. You're not married, so do you know for sure how that affects your status and your partner's? Will you possibly have a child whilst out there, if so, do you understand what care your wife could get, and what citizenship your child might have? Stuff like that. It's boring, and hopefully your work is helping you with it, but it's really important. I'm not suggesting it should change your decision, but it's important to understand.

5. Money and tax. You need to tell HMRC you're leaving, and you need to consider any assets or income you still have in the UK. Doing this now will help you if/when you ever move back to the UK.

6. HAVE FUN. It will be amazing. Enjoy it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I was shocked by the amount of homeless beggars in Vancouver. There is apparently quite a big drugs problem.

Can't say we saw much of that, not compared to say San Francisco which was at the end of the same journey. There were whole streets (7th - 5th) that were basically a ghetto.

My niece (from Bristol), now has citizenship I think in Canada having moved over there about 3 years ago.  She lives in Toronto and loves it.  My eldest spent a couple of years with his (now) wife in St Catherine's between Toronto and Niagara and I think he had hoops to jump through.  Would you like me to ask them?

8 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Can't say we saw much of that, not compared to say San Francisco which was at the end of the same journey. There were whole streets (7th - 5th) that were basically a ghetto.

America is rife with it.  I was considering going to Oregon for work a few months ago and even the relatively small cities I looked at there have huge issues with homelessness.

22 hours ago, Ecko said:

Probably best to not follow Michael Palin's example! :)