IGNORED

James Linnington

BCFCGav

At the end of the day the standards of refereeing are unacceptable.  They are professional and yet their decision making has worsened.

The penalty was (imho) a direct consequence of not giving the two incredibly tame appeals they had first half. I’ve just watched back the Vyner incident.  If you watch it carefully Estupinan angles his runs onto his (Vyner’s) line when it becomes clear the cross is gonna be slightly too high for him. Vyner needn’t put his hands on his back, but it’s not a push. Ref gets that right, but it seems a ref cannot turn down three appeals for a home side without giving a penalty.  I felt very much like the Preston (a) under Andy Davies, when you just could feel it was building up to giving them a decision.

That should never be the case. Each decision should be made on its merits.  That’s where many of todays referees get swayed, and make bad decisions.  They referee on a totting up basis.

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Why didn’t he give them a penalty first half? Another bad decision 

Did you think Vyner’s was a penalty.  I didn’t. Contact is allowed, he’s partly running into Vyner’s line.  Vyner shouldn’t put his hands up, but it’s not a foul imho.

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

At the end of the day the standards of refereeing are unacceptable.  They are professional and yet their decision making has worsened.

The penalty was (imho) a direct consequence of not giving the two incredibly tame appeals they had first half. I’ve just watched back the Vyner incident.  If you watch it carefully Estupinan angles his runs onto his (Vyner’s) line when it becomes clear the cross is gonna be slightly too high for him. Vyner needn’t put his hands on his back, but it’s not a push. Ref gets that right, but it seems a ref cannot turn down three appeals for a home side without giving a penalty.  I felt very much like the Preston (a) under Andy Davies, when you just could feel it was building up to giving them a decision.

That should never be the case. Each decision should be made on its merits.  That’s where many of todays referees get swayed, and make bad decisions.  They referee on a totting up basis.

Just seen James@jbcfc__ video on Twitter.  He can see much of what's going on, which makes him incompetent . The lack of bookings, the soft Pen given and the ones ignored? He shouldn't get a game for some time. But we all know he will.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

@steviestevienevillethis is right up your street,otib is not content with slagging players off who were not playing but we are slagging refs off who were not reffing 

I tell you what: why wasn't Bob Houghton's half-time talk more inspiring, so the lads were able to keep up the pressure for the last 45 minutes, and isn't it about time Les Bardsley gave us a definitive date for the return of Semenyo and Kalas. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Did you think Vyner’s was a penalty.  I didn’t. Contact is allowed, he’s partly running into Vyner’s line.  Vyner shouldn’t put his hands up, but it’s not a foul imho.

I’m probably 60/40 penalty if truth be told but I think VAR gives it. I’ve seen a lot of city fans who think we got away with that one conveniently forget it when talking about how unlucky we were.  

10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I’m probably 60/40 penalty if truth be told but I think VAR gives it. I’ve seen a lot of city fans who think we got away with that one conveniently forget it when talking about how unlucky we were.  

If you look at Mitrovic’s headers last season, every one he pushes his marker with much more force than Vyner’s hands being placed (not pushed imho) on Estupinan’s back.

Dont get me wrong I’ve seen them given.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Just seen James@jbcfc__ video on Twitter.  He can see much of what's going on, which makes him incompetent . The lack of bookings, the soft Pen given and the ones ignored? He shouldn't get a game for some time. But we all know he will.

Absolutely shocking.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GrahamC said:

You’re right.

However I’m really struggling here with any rational explanation, last season (alongside Birmingham) we conceded the most penalties (9), several of which (a blatant dive by the Huddersfield player, for one) were absolutely shocking decisions.

Alongside our Welsh friends, Cardiff & Swansea, we were awarded the fewest penalties (1), I detailed 6 that were nailed on that we didn’t get, such as Dasilva at Fulham, Scott v QPR & Forest, first minute Coventry away,  etc, etc.

I don’t buy that refs have it in for us, but we are consistently being poorly served here.

If we were say, awarded 5 & conceded 7, it is sort of evening itself out, but as today has shown, it is nowhere near.

This is true and our penalty numbers are troubling for sure...Ince, the Huddersfield one and the Blackburn one do spring to mind although we arguably could have conceded one in that game which wasn't awarded.

Yes no doubt there is a big discrepancy- by my numbers we have been awarded 1 from November 1st 2020 to present- 82 or 83 League games, I can't recall- the attacking numbers vs pressure absorbed was a serious issue for a while but still.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is true and our penalty numbers are troubling for sure...Ince, the Huddersfield one and the Blackburn one do spring to mind although we arguably could have conceded one in that game which wasn't awarded.

Yes no doubt there is a big discrepancy- by my numbers we have been awarded 1 from November 1st 2020 to present- 82 or 83 League games, I can't recall- the attacking numbers vs pressure absorbed was a serious issue for a while but still.

Completely agree.

There was clearly a time under Holden & then early on under Pearson when we were just totally punchless & we never realistically had any penalty shouts (or often even shots) as a result.

However that definitely wasn’t the case once Semenyo joined Martin & Weimann in attack & as I posted previously there were half a dozen last season we should have had, that ALL weren’t given.

I do hope we have made representations to the refereeing body because it has gone far beyond the law of averages now.

• Like 1

A bug bear of mine, is the role of the assistant referees. What do they actually do? They flag when the ball goes over the touch line and also if someone breaks the offside line early but, do they actually assist the referee? If that is all they do, lets go back to old days and call them linesman or lines person if we want to be pc. Are they allowed to tell the ref that, from their angle, the player did a hop, skip and dive and perhaps the penalty decision needs to be considered? The overall standard of the officials does seem to be lacking and with the vitriol that they receive, it is understandable that we struggle to get people to sign up to this profession.

Perhaps where players are clearly found to be cheating, they should be handed retrospective bans and fines. This would soon start to make players and clubs realise that cheating does not pay.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mikep said:

A bug bear of mine, is the role of the assistant referees. What do they actually do? They flag when the ball goes over the touch line and also if someone breaks the offside line early but, do they actually assist the referee? If that is all they do, lets go back to old days and call them linesman or lines person if we want to be pc. Are they allowed to tell the ref that, from their angle, the player did a hop, skip and dive and perhaps the penalty decision needs to be considered? The overall standard of the officials does seem to be lacking and with the vitriol that they receive, it is understandable that we struggle to get people to sign up to this profession.

Perhaps where players are clearly found to be cheating, they should be handed retrospective bans and fines. This would soon start to make players and clubs realise that cheating does not pay.

I wonder if a social media site where these blatant cheating divers were to be "showcased" each week would maybe have players second guessing their actions? If only I was tech savvy enough to do so !

A few years ago, to my surprise, my late father stopped watching football as he "couldn't stand the cheating , berating of refs and the rolling around after a tackle". I am beginning to understand his frustration. VAR isn't perfect by any means but I can't help but feel that we as a club would have benefitted from it the past few seasons as we appear to have had so many game changing decisions go against us. We must be getting right up there with having the most "apologies" from the referees association.

Ah well, COYR!

• Like 2

My take on this is -

1.  Really - you want the ref to give a penalty instead of a goal?

2.  The ball goes straight to the keeper, following the 'new rules' how has the contact impacted on the game?

3.  Definitely a penalty

4.  How has the contact impacted on the game?

On 31/07/2022 at 13:13, billywedlock said:

EFL guidelines this season

Threshold on the pitch:

Contact is an acceptable part of football, and contact alone does not mean there is a foul. The  preference is not to penalise minimal contact. Match officials will consider the consequence of contact, action of defender and the motivation of the attacking player when deciding whether a challenge should be penalised.

The referees do not follow a single word of that. Match officials will consider the consequence of contact…?  Don’t make me laugh. What ACTUALLY happens is defender’s aura disturbs the forward’s general vicinity. The forward ‘feels contact’ and is ‘entitled to go down’ and muppet refs who have not read the guidance give match changing penalties. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

The referees do not follow a single word of that. Match officials will consider the consequence of contact…?  Don’t make me laugh. What ACTUALLY happens is defender’s aura disturbs the forward’s general vicinity. The forward ‘feels contact’ and is ‘entitled to go down’ and muppet refs who have not read the guidance give match changing penalties. 

Indeed. Almost every year you get that kind of guidance issued (e.g. to do with holding at set pieces, simulation and so on) and every year officials ignore it and carry on as before.

Given that they know they have no intention of implementing the guidance why issue it in the first place? It just makes them look even more incompetent than they already are.

23 hours ago, mikep said:

A bug bear of mine, is the role of the assistant referees. What do they actually do? They flag when the ball goes over the touch line and also if someone breaks the offside line early but, do they actually assist the referee? If that is all they do, lets go back to old days and call them linesman or lines person if we want to be pc. 

Here's one - the "4th official" - waste of time stood there as a punch bag for bedwetting managers and to hold up a subs board.... get them on the pitch as a second (or 4th) set of eyes for the ref.

Would soon sort out wrestling at corners for a start. And zero cost compared to VAR.