IGNORED

sunderland v coventry worth a watch as we are playing sunderland next week?

6 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Yeah, we’re not big at all.

I think you are confusing big with successful

Sunderland are the biggest club in the EFL by a long way and we are bigger than recent trophy winners such as Wigan Blackburn Swansea in my opinion as we have more fans despite their success

Edited by cidercity1987
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

I think you are confusing big with successful

Sunderland are the biggest club in the EFL by a long way and we are bigger than recent trophy winners such as Wigan Blackburn Swansea in my opinion as we have more fans despite their success

We’re bigger than Blackburn? Come on now.

• Hmmm 1

Community-centered club supported by local people in an economically depressed town, giving the residents an outlet to forget the stresses of life.

That’s what football’s ethos is, not winning trophies or being a “big club”. If that means playing friendlies in Asia and Australia then the plastics who follow the “Big Six” are welcome to it.

Just now, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I know.

Would you say Wigan are ‘bigger’ than us though? 

Interested to see what his reply is.

I remember when Wigan played in front of one man and his dog at the worst ground in the league. Artificially propelled up the divisions by a sugar daddy. Football takes a massive back seat to rugby league in that part of the world.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

Well each to their own. You obviously see clubs size of how many fans turn up…

I look at trophies.

Without wanting to sound rude but if you think getting 40 k at home doesn’t equate to you being a big well supported club than you are some what very deluded.

Don’t confuse successful clubs with big clubs. Any football club that can pull 40 k through the door in the second tier is a big big club. Not many clubs in the world that play second tier football can do that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bris red said:

Without wanting to sound rude but if you think getting 40 k at home doesn’t equate to you being a big well supported club than you are some what very deluded.

Don’t confuse successful clubs with big clubs. Any football club that can pull 40 k through the door in the second tier is a big big club. Not many clubs in the world that play second tier football can do that.

Why are we obsessed with attendances and the size of a fan base? I didn’t say Sunderland aren’t a ‘big well supported club’.

16 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Well we have more fans. If they are bigger why do they get about 12k or 13k through the door? Because they are small but have been successful historically, clearly

Because they have big cities like Manchester and Liverpool on their doorstep, and then you have the likes of Bolton, Burnley, Preston etc.

Again the obsession of having more fans?

Just now, Lew-T said:

Because they have big cities like Manchester and Liverpool on their doorstep, and then you have the likes of Bolton, Burnley, Preston etc.

Yes they have a smaller fanbase mainly because they are from a smaller town and therefore are a smaller club

Obsession with more fans? Bigger fanbase bigger club, very simple to me. Trophies win you fans and if you still have barely any fans how can you be a big club.

Sunderland are probably the most underrated big club, very far from a myth.

5 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

They didn’t have any problem filling Ewood during the Shearer and Sutton era - where have all those loyal fans disappeared to?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

But honours wise? Nah.

They’ve been League Champions 6 times and won the FA Cup at least twice.

They get 40k at home today when the population of Sunderland is only 170k.

I’d say there’s no doubt they’re a huge club…historically, honours won and fanbase.

• Like 4

I think its obvious people see the 'big club' tag differently but for me how big a club is calculates to a few things:

1. Fanbase size - Home and Away attendances. 

2. Infrastructure - Stadium , facilities etc

3. History - Achievements, league positions etc.

Each of these tend to affect the other somewhat and Sunderland compared to the rest of the EFL is right up there with Sheff Wed, Ipswich etc.

Any club who gets 30 odd in league 1 after being there for four seasons is big!

9 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

They’ve been League Champions 6 times and won the FA Cup at least twice.

They get 40k at home today when the population of Sunderland is only 170k.

I’d say there’s no doubt they’re a huge club…historically, honours won and fanbase.

Huddersfield won the league 3 times on the bounce in the 1920s. Preston and Bolton very successful in the era that Sunderland won those titles which was over a century ago.