IGNORED

Ex players this weekend

Jerseybean

18 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Of those who left us this summer only O’Dowda & Palmer got a gig at our current level,

O’Dowda was credited with the assist for Cardiff’s goal, so fair play to him, that’s a very decent start.

I saw Palmer’s complete non event of a sub appearance today (he still gives away those ridiculous free kicks late on).

Bakinson didn’t even get off the bench in L1 & Cundy got the hook at Plymouth at HT.

I read one of the regular contributors to the Post say that some of those we have moved on this summer could bite us on the arse, I’m genuinely baffled as to who he is possibly referring to.

Even if Palmer, Co’D or Bakinson pulled up trees at their new clubs, I’d not feel we had been “bitten on the arse”. All three had lost their way here, were looking unlikely to feature and needed a move to try to get back on track so I’m not going to get upset about players recapturing form they were never realistically going to recapture here. 

Cundy is the only one I think we will slightly miss and, even then, the fact he was likely to be fifth and only feature when we had injuries was likely a big part of the reason he left. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Even if Palmer, Co’D or Bakinson pulled up trees at their new clubs, I’d not feel we had been “bitten on the arse”. All three had lost their way here, were looking unlikely to feature and needed a move to try to get back on track so I’m not going to get upset about players recapturing form they were never realistically going to recapture here. 

Cundy is the only one I think we will slightly miss and, even then, the fact he was likely to be fifth and only feature when we had injuries was likely a big part of the reason he left. 

Exactly my take too & even in the case of Cundy, he’s slow & his distribution is fairly ordinary, so I didn’t shed any tears that he took up Barnsley’s offer instead.

Like you I could see a spot in the squad for him if he had wanted it, but he didn’t & so both sides move on.

I’ll watch with interest how he gets on up there, bearing in mind of course it is a level down.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Exactly my take too & even in the case of Cundy, he’s slow & his distribution is fairly ordinary, so I didn’t shed any tears that he took up Barnsley’s offer instead.

Like you I could see a spot in the squad for him if he had wanted it, but he didn’t & so both sides move on.

I’ll watch with interest how he gets on up there, bearing in mind of course it is a level down.

Yup. By 25, you certainly want to hold down a first-choice place in whatever club you're playing for.  I thought Cundy was pretty decent and did a good job for us when we called upon him to make that step, but he's probably better getting consistent time at L1 than occasional appearances in the Championship.  He might still develop into a more-than-ordinary player in his late 20s and be the grade the second-tier demands. Sometimes you have to step backwards to move forwards. 

• Like 1