IGNORED

Banned for flares at Hull

1960maaan

6 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Sorry, must disagree with this.

Atmosphere is caused by people, supporters. Back in the 70's and 80's there were no loud music blaring, no bloke on a mic, no need for outside intervention at all.

We started chanting from about 2 o'clock so by 2-45, the place was rocking ( well the East end was).

Pyrotechnics in a crowd is just bonkers and wrong and I'm surprised that anyone thinks differently. They are dangerous to those who set them off and those close to them.

If it continues then a more robust searching mechanism needs to be introduced.

Agreed. I started going to matches regularly in the early 80's. My memory of those days was the great atmosphere, all made by the fans.

No pyros needed. You were squashed the Eastend  like sardines as they say, all standing of course. You got there early and sang. Many came armed with the obligatory loo roll or had spent the hour or so tearing up the Evening Post into confetti-like pieces. When the teams RAN out, no nice hanshakes back then, it was mayhem and I loved it!

Regarding the ban that was issued. I think the club has to be seen to be proactive on this and there certainly had been warnings only days before. I guess their licence issued to hold matches needs them to be upholding the law and preventing where possible these breaches.

And yes there was at least one sniffer dog at Hull. Also as I have said before, we seem to have got a reputation for flares/pyros. I have heard this often from stewards and security  both home and away.

• Like 7

Since the singing section as come into play Ashton gate is not to our advantage anymore at Hull Saturday the noise was fantastic 1 lots behind goal another lot on the side they roared there side on, until they move the lads into the middle of s/s we will lose more than we win 

• Like 2

Anyone watching the cricket just starting on BBC2, no pyro no party! So much coloured smoke you can't see across the pitch. All fully legal of course, as they have been let off by the organisers. Same effect on anyone with breathing difficulties in the crowd I would imagine?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Galley is our king said:

Sorry but the South stand IS all City, so is the whole Dolman and Lansdown.

Don't understand your point....

Palace fans pretty much have the whole end behind the goal to stand and make some noise and whilst our louder fans are tucked away in a little corner stopping any decent atmosphere from being creative. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, RedM said:

Anyone watching the cricket just starting on BBC2, no pyro no party! So much coloured smoke you can't see across the pitch. All fully legal of course, as they have been let off by the organisers. Same effect on anyone with breathing difficulties in the crowd I would imagine?

Yep, plenty of smoke.  Personally I like to see flares and smoke at a game, but I get the clubs position if their safety licence is at risk, or if they will be faced with fines and/or other sanctions.

28 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

well in the vast majority of grounds, a huge majority of grounds ,that is how it is. We ended up with a group in the corner for some old complex reasons, some related to ground development . Palace have a huge group in the centre being the goal so no idea why you picked them and what you are on about. I have been 25/30 times to Palace as a guest and it is no way stuck in a corner singing alone. I never said there are no practical considerations to consider, just looking at why we are so crap. East end, as you clearly will recall , had the centre section driving the singing, not the corner. Since we have the revised ground the general atmosphere and singing has been poor , well since we moved out of the old east end really. AG does not have a great match day atmosphere anymore (poor performances notwithstanding). The loudest singing last season was about a shoe. Sums it up. 

As I said, the old East End was brilliant, but...Everyone was stood up!!!

There are No terraces any more  well not in our league anyway.

Loudest singing about a shoe says nothing about the singers are but maybe their mentality? Sence of fun?

2 hours ago, RedM said:

All perfectly legal no matter who set them off. The law explicitly specifies football stadiums as far as I'm aware, so what happens at cricket or rugby bears no relevance.

The argument always seems to be same with certain people. "We don't care about the rules, we like --------- so we are going to do it anyway" .

That's fine, but why get upset when the rules are enforced. 

It's the same with the safe standing, I stand in that section but out on the edge and I love it. But there are others to the centre who seem to think that it's a special area that allows them to act like *****, goad stewards, and throw stuff on the pitch. They then wonder why the club won't extend the section further across the South Stand.

The "we're so special/real fans"  element among them really annoy me too. There have been occasions in the last couple of seasons when the South Stand to the left of me have started getting involved and getting chants going, only for them to be immediately find the bloke on the megaphone or others starting a completely different chant like it's only them that are allowed to be singing. 

The most annoying thing is that they talk about getting an atmosphere going with opposition fans, but you will see on Saturday that as soon as Sunderland get going, they will wither away like a salted snail, except for a few boos and maybe a half-hearted "who are yuh?" 

*Sorry, rant over. ☺️

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Palace fans pretty much have the whole end behind the goal to stand and make some noise and whilst our louder fans are tucked away in a little corner stopping any decent atmosphere from being creative. 

I remember the complaints when we had the Atyeo about the acoustics being terrible, now many complain that they want the Atyeo for its acoustics.

What we need to remember is that the ground is designed in a way that the noise projects. In W2 (I have a pile of kids who come with me) the away fans are louder than the S82 guys - but when I was in W7 a few seasons back it was the other way round. I can still hear both though! Noise generation "up top" is patchy, sometimes it gets going for a while, sometimes it doesn't - but even when it does, I bet you don't realise if you're stood in that far corner from us. I guess the most important thing is if the team can hear the support ?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, semblar said:

I remember the complaints when we had the Atyeo about the acoustics being terrible, now many complain that they want the Atyeo for its acoustics.

That’s because when city had the atyeo they only had a poxy little corner of it just like in the south stand now . If City had an unreserved end behind the goal ( like nearly every other club) we wouldn’t be moaning about how poor the atmosphere is . 

3 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

That’s because when city had the atyeo they only had a poxy little corner of it just like in the south stand now . If City had an unreserved end behind the goal ( like nearly every other club) we wouldn’t be moaning about how poor the atmosphere is . 

For many years prior to the rebuild, we had the whole end and moans about the atmosphere

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I suppose I am a sort of NIMBY on this - wonderful to see, as long as it is at the other end of the stadium.

I have never been, but it must be a wonderful experience to go to one of the Turkish or Serbian Derby matches.

Not quite the same, but I once accidentally ended up in the Croatian end at a Hungary v Croatia match in Budapest. It was a qualifier, but a dead rubber - Croatia already qualified, Hungary already out.

Consequently the Croatians were more interested in Split v Zagreb rivalry (not friendly) and it started turning ugly while they were theoretically all supporting the national team. I wouldn't care to attend one of their derbies!

1 hour ago, Wiltshire robin said:

No we didn’t we had the east end which was half the stand . The atyeo wasn’t unreserved it was basically a family stand .

They are talking about the atyeo, when it was the home end, people complained that they can never make an atmosphere there because the acoustics were poor now all of a sudden its better then anyother part of the ground,

City fans just aren't that great at creating an atmosphere unless they are winning or giving 110% its been that way since the mid 90"s

17 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

They are talking about the atyeo, when it was the home end, people complained that they can never make an atmosphere there because the acoustics were poor now all of a sudden its better then anyother part of the ground,

City fans just aren't that great at creating an atmosphere unless they are winning or giving 110% its been that way since the mid 90"s

Like I said when our loud fans were in the atyeo they only had the corner of it not the whole stand . If the club gave the whole atyeo as an unreserved stand like what pretty much every other club has we would be able to make an atmosphere.

On 03/08/2022 at 09:15, Galley is our king said:

Sorry, must disagree with this.

Atmosphere is caused by people, supporters. Back in the 70's and 80's there were no loud music blaring, no bloke on a mic, no need for outside intervention at all.

We started chanting from about 2 o'clock so by 2-45, the place was rocking ( well the East end was).

Pyrotechnics in a crowd is just bonkers and wrong and I'm surprised that anyone thinks differently. They are dangerous to those who set them off and those close to them.

If it continues then a more robust searching mechanism needs to be introduced.

“atmosphere is caused by people, supporters. Back in the 70's and 80's there were no loud music blaring, no bloke on a mic, no need for outside intervention at all.”

Back in the 70s and 80s, the ‘atmosphere’ was people taking bike chains and flick knives to games - or throwing cheap plastic-flighted darts, bottles and coins  at the opposition fans!! I have no wish to return to those days of hooliganism. 
I actually agree with the rest of your post though - it’s pointless and dangerous taking flares into football matches so don’t do it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Like I said when our loud fans were in the atyeo they only had the corner of it not the whole stand . If the club gave the whole atyeo as an unreserved stand like what pretty much every other club has we would be able to make an atmosphere.

We had the whole Atyeo for years from 1994, 

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

We had the whole Atyeo for years from 1994, 

And before anyone chimes in with "yeah, but the singers were only in the one corner...." Yes, we were, but it was by choice and nothing to do with unreserved seating, because there wasn't any.  It wasn't a move by the club, it just so happened that we congregated in H-Block, bought our seats there and made it our own.