IGNORED

Banned for flares at Hull

1960maaan

31 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

I’ve never understood the equation between flares and ‘atmosphere’. To me atmosphere is shouting, chanting, singing- with shirts, scarves, banners and flags. Jumping up and down. How blinding/choking your fellow fans with a nautical distress signal improves atmosphere is just lost on me. 

It's just a different way to add something I think, I'm sure there are people out there that think the same about flags and banners getting in the way of there view and not adding to the atmosphere.

I've never used one at a football game, I do like them though - I really like that acrid smell.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, maxjak said:

I really wish they would delete the "Confused" logo response, as it means **** All, and is pointless?.....Sad and Hmm! ...are fair enough, but  "Confused" is just a cop out, and similar to Bart's "Doh!".    If you don't get it, then respond accordingly? , but i suspect it is probably just forum members who are either too lazy or  just incapable of articulating a point of view, who mainly use it?........I now await a whole bunch of hilarious  "Confused"  responses to my post?   Ha!!

OK.

Edited by maxjak

9 hours ago, Pezo said:

It's just a different way to add something I think, I'm sure there are people out there that think the same about flags and banners getting in the way of there view and not adding to the atmosphere.

I've never used one at a football game, I do like them though - I really like that acrid smell.

The main issue is it affects some people breathing and can be dangerous if thrown. Surely that's enough.

Edited by Super
  • Like 3

It's really not hard to understand is it?  It's nothing to do with the FA or EFL....and comparisons to Germany etc are irrelevant.  The use of any type of pyro at football grounds is against the law set in this country.  

"Being in possession of a pyrotechnic device at a football match, or attempting to bring a pyrotechnic device into a football stadium, is a criminal offence under the Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc) Act 1985."

With unrest creeping back into stands towards the end of last season it's hardly any surprise that a clampdown of this is being carried out.  If City are seen to turn a blind eye to it, then they're condoning criminal activity, so of course they need to clamp down.  After all the noise about this over the last few years I am staggered that people still have an issue understanding this!  It's either ignorance or blind stupidity, surely?

Edited by Steve Watts
  • Like 9
  • Flames 1

29 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

It's really not hard to understand is it?  It's nothing to do with the FA or EFL....and comparisons to Germany etc are irrelevant.  The use of any type of pyro at football grounds is against the law set in this country.  

"Being in possession of a pyrotechnic device at a football match, or attempting to bring a pyrotechnic device into a football stadium, is a criminal offence under the Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc) Act 1985."

With unrest creeping back into stands towards the end of last season it's hardly any surprise that a clampdown of this is being carried out.  If City are seen to turn a blind eye to it, then they're condoning criminal activity, so of course they need to clamp down.  After all the noise about this over the last few years I am staggered that people still have an issue understanding this!  It's either ignorance or blind stupidity, surely?

But But they add to the atmosphere......... What nonsense, I can see the appeal for a child but grown men ffs. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bris red said:

Mental. It seems the powers that be are determined to drain every last bit of atmosphere left on a matchday out of football in this country.

Sorry, must disagree with this.

Atmosphere is caused by people, supporters. Back in the 70's and 80's there were no loud music blaring, no bloke on a mic, no need for outside intervention at all.

We started chanting from about 2 o'clock so by 2-45, the place was rocking ( well the East end was).

Pyrotechnics in a crowd is just bonkers and wrong and I'm surprised that anyone thinks differently. They are dangerous to those who set them off and those close to them.

If it continues then a more robust searching mechanism needs to be introduced.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, maxjak said:

I really wish they would delete the "Confused" logo response, as it means **** All, and is pointless?.....Sad and Hmm! ...are fair enough, but  "Confused" is just a cop out, and similar to Bart's "Doh!".    If you don't get it, then respond accordingly? , but i suspect it is probably just forum members who are either too lazy or  just incapable of articulating a point of view, who mainly use it?........I now await a whole bunch of hilarious  "Confused"  responses to my post?   Ha!!

Confused, because what the **** has banning flares at football matches got to do with "political correctness"?  Nothing whatsoever to do with "PC" apart from the fact that PC Plod will nick you if you did that. Nothing whatsoever to do with politics at all.

The clampdown on pyrotechnics was widely announced, so you've got to be half-daft if you bring one along to a match.

We can debate whether such draconian measures are "health & safety gone mad" (which is a completely different thing to 'PC') and that is being done on this thread. My personal opinion would be if they do present such a danger to supporters with breathing problems then fair enough, keep 'em out of the stands, but it would be nice if there was a means by which coloured smoke might be safely generated at critical times.  It does add to the atmosphere a lot more than twirling your scarf around yer head!

Anyway, hope the first line helps you not be confused as to why confused emojis appeared. ?

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

In Italy the ultras tend to be lead by someone with a megaphone, running through a rota of songs. Many have the same tune/music as English songs . German grounds tend to really rock too. 

Until we move our singing fans back to behind the goal we are always going to be lopsided, it just looks weird having a corner of singing fans. 

Anyway, maybe there is something on this website we could use/adapt 

https://www.fanchants.com/country/italy/

They have quite a few flares too... 

Sorry, the singing section cannot be moved behind the goal, nor could it have been planned there in the first place!

People standing in a certain block next to people sitting in other blocks totally destroys their view. A large proportion of the pitch is lost and cannot be seen. The old East end worked because everyone was stood!

Not only that but what about current season ticket holders behind the goal?

Having the singing section in the corner doesn't seem to dampen the atmosphere at Crystal Palace does it?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Sorry, the singing section cannot be moved behind the goal, nor could it have been planned there in the first place!

People standing in a certain block next to people sitting in other blocks totally destroys their view. A large proportion of the pitch is lost and cannot be seen. The old East end worked because everyone was stood!

Having the singing section in the corner doesn't seem to dampen the atmosphere at Crystal Palace does it?

No because they have home fans behind both goals.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

15 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Few things with this report. We have had threats of action before, but I haven't seen any Prem side criticised or threatened with action . Is it just a clamp down in the EFL, or have I missed It ?

As for the rest of the article, it's worse than the Bristol version. Lots of talk of "anti social behaviour " without one instance or any explanation of what happened. Pathetic Journalism . 
As for City giving someone a 3 year ban, ridiculously over the top IMO.

Hardly a first, there have been reports of City fans being arrested and banned for letting off flares/smoke bombs for many years now.

Numerous threads on the subject on here too, one several years ago indicating City were perhaps more robust than most clubs in it's determination to track down offenders and hence the number having been banned from AG for letting off smoke bombs was amongst the highest in the country, already in double figures at that time.

It's continued unabated since then with regular reports of fans being arrested, prosecuted, and banned so you'd imagine the total over the years must be well into the 20's by now.

Of course it's a rolling figure as most fans will have been been allowed to return to AG after their 3 year bans expired, albeit with a criminal record.

42 minutes ago, gornagain said:

Anyone notice a poorer atmosphere when chucking  toilet rolls went out of fashion?

(I initially typed poorer without the first "r" which would have changed the message somewhat.)

Used to get off the bus at the London Inn nick all the rolls from the underground toilets.

2 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Pyrotechnics in a crowd is just bonkers and wrong and I'm surprised that anyone thinks differently. They are dangerous to those who set them off and those close to them.

Back in the 1970’s, at around November time, there used to be an issue with bangers being thrown around the East End, not a pleasant experience!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, maxjak said:

I like it. I always thought the emoji was a polite way of signalling that the post is complete nonsense!
That’s how most use it.

Why would anyone even bother trying to win an argument that’s too stupid.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

So just to recap:

1. Supporters know flares are not allowed but do it anyway 

2. Flares become sufficiently commonplace that the EFL announces a clampdown where anyone who lets a flare off will be banne

3. A supporter takes a flare in and gets a ban 

Quite aside from the question of whether flares should or should not be allowed, it seems to be the rules were clear, the consequences were explained and someone who has broken the rules is now facing those consequences. I don’t really see the controversy or understand why we live in a society where so many people seem surprised or outraged when someone who breaks the laws finds there is a price to pay for doing so.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Confused, because what the **** has banning flares at football matches got to do with "political correctness"?  Nothing whatsoever to do with "PC" apart from the fact that PC Plod will nick you if you did that. Nothing whatsoever to do with politics at all.

The clampdown on pyrotechnics was widely announced, so you've got to be half-daft if you bring one along to a match.

We can debate whether such draconian measures are "health & safety gone mad" (which is a completely different thing to 'PC') and that is being done on this thread. My personal opinion would be if they do present such a danger to supporters with breathing problems then fair enough, keep 'em out of the stands, but it would be nice if there was a means by which coloured smoke might be safely generated at critical times.  It does add to the atmosphere a lot more than twirling your scarf around yer head!

Anyway, hope the first line helps you not be confused as to why confused emojis appeared. ?

Exactly......that is why I made the point that if someone were to come up with a non polluting, harmless version of a   coloured flare they would be quids in?   With current technology it could happen?...........As i agree with you, that it adds to the spectacle & atmosphere, if it were possible?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

Exactly......that is why I made the point that if someone were to come up with a non polluting, harmless version of a   coloured flare they would be quids in?   With current technology it could happen?...........As i agree with you, that it adds to the spectacle & atmosphere, if it were possible?

Personally, I'd love to see it.  I also think a three-year-ban and criminal record is a tad steep, for what's basically a nuisance misdemeanour. 

Still, if that's how they're playing it, you'd be daft to risk it. I doubt you get any season ticket money refunded. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Palace almost have that whole end behind the goal not just a poxy little corner like at Ashton gate 

4 hours ago, Ciderhead433 said:

Used to get off the bus at the London Inn nick all the rolls from the underground toilets.

We used to stock up from the train bogs on the way up from Taunton. Anyone who needed a crap after Bridgwater was in big trouble. 

Them Izals used to really fly mind - bugger all good for wiping your bum though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2