IGNORED

Sunderland at home match day thread

10 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Sticking with going early with The MDT.

Ha’way the lads. As it stands it’s 18th v 13th ?

They have an allocation of 3,338 tickets for Saturdays game so there will be a good atmosphere at Ashton Gate for this encounter. With 23,000 tickets sold as of Monday. There is even cheap beer to be enjoyed! https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/cheers-to-that/

In front of nearly 41,000 they began life in the Championship with a 1-1 draw at home against Coventry City, who we face next in the Carabao Cup.

The Black Cats need to strengthen in a 'host of positions' according to their manager but are in a ‘competitive queue for Premier League players’ whose departures have not yet been sanctioned. A goalkeeper is required, as well as depth and competition in other areas of the pitch.

Their business to date:

In
Leon Dajaku (undisclosed, Union Berlin)
Daniel Ballard (undisclosed, Arsenal)
Jack Clarke (undisclosed, Tottenham Hotspur)
Aji Alese (undisclosed, West Ham United)
Alex Bass (undisclosed, Portsmouth)

Ellis Simms (from Everton on a season-long loan)

Out
Aiden McGeady (released)
Arbenit Xhemajli (released)
Jordan Willis (released)
Lee Burge (free, Northampton Town)
Will Grigg (released)

The Black Cats beat Wycombe Wanderers 2-0 back in May to win the play-off final and secure their place in the Championship. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/21/wycombe-sunderland-league-one-playoff-final-match-report and https://fb.watch/db7qyXd8rq/

Of course LJ had a 13 month stint in charge before moving to Hibs. Lee Johnson claimed that he ‘absolutely loved’ his time on Wearside. He was relieved of his duties at the end of January 2022 on the back of the 6-0 thrashing by Bolton Wanderers, a result which saw the club drop out of the automatic promotion places. Alex Neil took over and despite a poor start, winning just three of his first ten games in charge, he guided them to promotion.

If you haven’t watched the Netflix series, ‘Sunderland ‘til I die’ it’s well worth a view, over two seasons it documents the remarkable role SFC plays in the community and the passion of their supporters. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunderland_'Til_I_Die

Sunderland stuff

• A Sunderland man survived the Titanic. Sunderland-born Charles Whilems was a glassblower on his way to start a new life in the United States.  He boarded the Titanic in Southampton on 10 April 1912 as a second class passenger and was one of the few survivors after it sank. Which reminds me I was in Belfast recently and if you are there the Titanic Experience is well worth a visit: https://www.titanicbelfast.com
  • Sunderland was one of UK’s most-bombed cities during the Blitz. With the outbreak of The Second World War in 1939, Sunderland found itself as a key target of the German Luftwaffe because of the city's reputation as one of the biggest and busiest shipbuilding ports in the UK. They claimed the lives of 267 people in the town as well as causing damage or destruction to some 4,000 homes. It devastated the city and crippled local industries.
  • Football fans may have heard the story of Swedish footballer Stefan Schwarz who signed for Sunderland in 1999. His contract included a rather bizarre clause which was dubbed the 'Space Clause' banning him from travelling into space. Schwarz was known to have an interest in space travel and it was reported that one of his advisors had secured tickets for the first passenger space flight due to take off in 2002. However, Sunderland put a clause in his contract banning him from going into space warning that doing so would result in the immediate termination of his contract. Unfortunately, Schwarz ended up retiring in 2002 before any potential space flights became a reality.
  • Sunderland was home to Britain's first female serial killer.  Mary Ann Cotton is thought to be Britain's very first female serial killer in the 1800s. Known as the ‘Black Widow’ she was thought to have murdered around 21 people, including three of her husbands and 11 children. She took out life insurance policies on her family members, before poisoning them with arsenic and collecting the insurance pay-outs.
  • Alice in Wonderland was inspired by Sunderland Lewis Carroll may have been born in the North West, but he spent a lot of his childhood in Sunderland, visiting his sisters Elizabeth and Mary who lived in Southwick. It's said he took inspiration from Sunderland and the northeast for a number of his works. He came to see his cousin Margaret Wilcox in Whitburn, and the coast around her home is believed to have been the inspiration for the Walrus and The Carpenter. It's also understood he composed the opening lines of The Jabberwocky as part of a parlour game he was playing with his family at their home.
  • The Victoria Hall Disaster was the worst of its kind in British history On June 16 1883, 183 children died when they rushed towards a staircase for treats during a variety show at the Victoria Hall- a large concert hall near Mowbray Park. Over 1,000 children surged towards the front but at the bottom of the staircase, the door had been opened inward and bolted in such a way as to leave only a gap wide enough for one child to pass at a time. As the children rushed down the stairs, those at the front became trapped and were crushed by the weight of the crowd behind them. In total, 183 children aged between 3 and 14 and with the compressive asphyxia of the children the disaster is the worst of its kind in British history.

It’s the Three Lions flag day and in a fitting tribute to Stoney Garnett red hat day too, along with a minutes applause on 73 minutes.

For those fans bemoaning us throwing a way points, we were 3-0 up at half time at Ashton Gate against Sunderland back in 2018 and drew 3-3 (with two og’s and a 92 minute equalizer) and as I recall the point was thanks to Frankie Fielding pulling off a great save, which isn’t actually featured in the highlights:

Kalas may get his name on the team sheet following a five month absence.

The officials…KEITH STROUD, Graham Kane and George Byrne. Fourth Official: Gavin Ward.

Finally - animal nicknames, last week it was the Tigers, today it’s the Black Cats, there are 21 in all, see how you do on this quiz: https://www.sporcle.com/games/Tjpbb/football-club-animal-nicknames

Enjoy the game COYR! 

626521B2-2A7F-4241-9C7A-DCCC0F61FD58.jpeg

4E8C69D9-39F7-4161-A7F7-E9EC0CC49D7A.jpeg

60A9F170-E21A-4AF1-A169-B424C9A1B792.jpeg

3FCF6DD4-1160-4876-BCBA-A10D0BCFAD84.jpeg

Brilliant stuff mate. Keith Stroud is a massive helmet, but we will see how it goes. 

Looking forward to the game, especially due to the fact over 23,000 tickets have been sold! Nice to finally see the Dolman and lower lansdown full again. 

Sunderland bring a lot. From what I can remember they bring thousands more then their allocation. First away game back in the Championship, they will be up for it. Lets send them back up to scumcity with what they say as ‘nout’.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
37 minutes ago, RudiRed said:

Despite being only the 2nd game of the season I can't help but feel this is a big game - momentum is so important in this league. I worry about our attacking threat without Semenyo.

Always good to get the first win of the season out of the way, however dont forget the start we had under DH and how that ended!

1 minute ago, rednotblue said:

Always good to get the first win of the season out of the way, however dont forget the start we had under DH and how that ended!

Yes I agree - I suppose with all this talk of progress we need to get some early results especially with last seasons deficiencies of late goals and dropping points. I am concerned about our attacking threat, especially at home. I'm not at sunderland unfortunately but I can see it being a physical slog.

1 minute ago, RudiRed said:

Yes I agree - I suppose with all this talk of progress we need to get some early results especially with last seasons deficiencies of late goals and dropping points. I am concerned about our attacking threat, especially at home. I'm not at sunderland unfortunately but I can see it being a physical slog.

TBH the late goal at Hull bugs me more as it was another injury time goal conceeded. I know it had a massive deflection (no one marking the player though). It needs to stop though as the longer it goes on the more it gets ingrained in our players and the opposition.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RudiRed said:

Despite being only the 2nd game of the season I can't help but feel this is a big game - momentum is so important in this league. I worry about our attacking threat without Semenyo.

It’s just the late goals I want us to cut out. If we manage to nick infront on Saturday….great, but it’s how we manage it from there is what I’ll be mostly interested in.

56 minutes ago, rednotblue said:

TBH the late goal at Hull bugs me more as it was another injury time goal conceeded. I know it had a massive deflection (no one marking the player though). It needs to stop though as the longer it goes on the more it gets ingrained in our players and the opposition.

The other thing that’s consistent from last season is our inability to perform at a level for the majority of 90mins.
However unlucky both goals were, the truth is we were really good for most of the first half then pretty poor for the second. 
Hopefully Semenyo stays and will be back sooner than expected. I think he’s massive for us and gives us that bit of spark, presence  and genuine threat. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rednotblue said:

It already is ingrained I think, we had a season of it. Ok we scored a couple of last minute goals ourselves but not enough to balance it out.
If you want an easy way to make money and we’re winning or drawing then just go on Bet365 in the last few minutes of our games and bet on our opposition to score. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I see we have the 'wonderful' Keith Stroud in the middle on Saturday. I know our record with him is awful, although apparently Forest's is worse, but he's certainly a character and I sort of have a grudging like for him. I wonder what Sunderland's record with him is? 

I used to loath the bloke but last season, with us, he was pretty good IMO ….let’s hope he’s decent on Saturday….:yawn:

• Like 2

It will be the first time that I have managed to get to Ashton Gate for 7 odd years.  The previous two were against Walsall at the end of the promotion season and the Warnock Crystal Palace game in 2009.

Based on that history it should be a great game!

• Like 4
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 2
9 minutes ago, RudiRed said:

Wasn't Alex Neil linked with us when LJ left? Couldn't think of anything worse.

I can - eg

Ian Holloway, Joey Barton, Tony Pulis, Dave Hockaday, Dean Saunders, Steve Evans etc. There are a lot of managers far worse than Alex Neil 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

On Saturday former City players Tom Ritchie, Geoff Merrick, Dave Rodgers, Trevor Tainton, Gary Owers and Jantzen Derrick, Paul Cheesely, Tony Thorpe, Ray Cashley, Mike Gibson, Bobby Williams, Tony Ford, Rob Edwards, Bryan Drysdale, Gerry Sweeney, Gary Williams and Howard Pritchard will be present at Ashton Gate. A game which fans will also spiritually mark the passing of much loved and loyal Robins fans Stoney Garnett and Martin Henneberry.

• Like 3

I've subscribed to the British Newspaper Archive and found this:

Dundee Evening Telegraph Monday 20 April 1908

Bristol City v. Sunderland

English League – First Divsion

Played at Bristol this afternoon in brilliant weather. The great game was watched by fully 18,000. The opening stages were all in favour of the homesters, for whom Nixon did some brilliant work. After thirteen minutes Burton, following good work by Maxwell, opened the scoring. Sunderland then improved their play, but failed to score. Gilligan improved the City’s lead with a hot shot.  Interval :- Bristol City 2 ; Sunderland 0.

In the second half Sunderland were without Hogg. They played excellent football, however, but did not shoot accurately. After thirty five minutes of this moiety Maxwell was responsible for putting Bristol ahead with a glorious shot, with which Roose had no chance. An exciting game resulted in an excellent win for Bristol who have now practically saved themselves from entering the Second Division

BRISTOL CITY 3

SUNDERLAND 0

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
9 hours ago, gornagain said:

I've subscribed to the British Newspaper Archive and found this:

Dundee Evening Telegraph Monday 20 April 1908

Bristol City v. Sunderland

English League – First Divsion

Played at Bristol this afternoon in brilliant weather. The great game was watched by fully 18,000. The opening stages were all in favour of the homesters, for whom Nixon did some brilliant work. After thirteen minutes Burton, following good work by Maxwell, opened the scoring. Sunderland then improved their play, but failed to score. Gilligan improved the City’s lead with a hot shot.  Interval :- Bristol City 2 ; Sunderland 0.

In the second half Sunderland were without Hogg. They played excellent football, however, but did not shoot accurately. After thirty five minutes of this moiety Maxwell was responsible for putting Bristol ahead with a glorious shot, with which Roose had no chance. An exciting game resulted in an excellent win for Bristol who have now practically saved themselves from entering the Second Division

BRISTOL CITY 3

SUNDERLAND 0

Homesters. I like it. Might try and bring that back.

• Like 1
On 03/08/2022 at 09:30, OliOTIB said:

Brilliant stuff mate. Keith Stroud is a massive helmet, but we will see how it goes. 

Looking forward to the game, especially due to the fact over 23,000 tickets have been sold! Nice to finally see the Dolman and lower lansdown full again. 

Sunderland bring a lot. From what I can remember they bring thousands more then their allocation. First away game back in the Championship, they will be up for it. Lets send them back up to scumcity with what they say as ‘nout’.

Hopefully not as they haven’t sold their own allocation yet and they are on general sale.

12 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

On Saturday former City players Tom Ritchie, Geoff Merrick, Dave Rodgers, Trevor Tainton, Gary Owers and Jantzen Derrick, Paul Cheesely, Tony Thorpe, Ray Cashley, Mike Gibson, Bobby Williams, Tony Ford, Rob Edwards, Bryan Drysdale, Gerry Sweeney, Gary Williams and Howard Pritchard will be present at Ashton Gate. A game which fans will also spiritually mark the passing of much loved and loyal Robins fans Stoney Garnett and Martin Henneberry.

Minutes applause proposed for Tinners 71 mins and Stoney 73 mins.