IGNORED

Sunderland at home match day thread

13 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

I feel that whenever there’s a huge away following, they always end up enjoying themselves and going home happy….

Our record at home with a big crowd is pretty poor I think. Any big ‘occasion’ game often ends in a defeat…

18 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Our record at home with a big crowd is pretty poor I think. Any big ‘occasion’ game often ends in a defeat…

Yep this is my fear too. 

Really hoping for three points tomorrow to get the first win done. And so some of those extra fans want to come back. 

• Like 1
On 03/08/2022 at 13:01, Mendip City said:

The other thing that’s consistent from last season is our inability to perform at a level for the majority of 90mins.
However unlucky both goals were, the truth is we were really good for most of the first half then pretty poor for the second. 
Hopefully Semenyo stays and will be back sooner than expected. I think he’s massive for us and gives us that bit of spark, presence  and genuine threat. 

I'm treating Hull's winner as a freak goal, and hoping lightning won't strike twice. But you certainly aren't wrong about the difference in halves on Saturday against them. For large periods of the first half it seemed only a matter of time before we scored again. What got me was for all the control of the game we had, we just couldn't kill it off. That worries me more than conceding a dodgy penalty or a freak goal. 

Obviously it is only one game in. But Sunderland with a large following, possibly the largest we will see at AG this season, will be confident and a stiff test. We need to find that bit of toughness, both mentally and physically that we had been lacking at times last season, resulting in the late goals. I do think we have players now that can deliver this, Naismith for example, but have they formed enough of an understanding yet.

Early days and one game doesn't make or break our season.

7 minutes ago, RedM said:

I'm treating Hull's winner as a freak goal, and hoping lightning won't strike twice. But you certainly aren't wrong about the difference in halves on Saturday against them. For large periods of the first half it seemed only a matter of time before we scored again. What got me was for all the control of the game we had, we just couldn't kill it off. That worries me more than conceding a dodgy penalty or a freak goal. 

Obviously it is only one game in. But Sunderland with a large following, possibly the largest we will see at AG this season, will be confident and a stiff test. We need to find that bit of toughness, both mentally and physically that we had been lacking at times last season, resulting in the late goals. I do think we have players now that can deliver this, Naismith for example, but have they formed enough of an understanding yet.

Yep agree with this,  theres still a soft underbelly, so games like a sell out at home to an aggressive sunderland is just begging for them to get a late winner….. hope im wrong obviously.

This guy (who may be from Swindon!) is spot on.

Cracking City, like all though have the good ends and the shite ends.
As others have pointed out the Region is competing with Rugby and some big clubs.
Gloucester, Bath, Bristol to name 3.

Both are decent clubs. The Shit Heads have got a cracking infrastructure now and being propped up my a rich supporting benefactor.
Rovers are more like us, the poor neighbours with a conveyor belt of shit owners.

It is an upmarket City in the main populated by Strangers, as people move into Bristol thus all about securing new support. High student population and some stunning and expensive property.
North of the River is Gas territory, South Shit Head. Without doubt not a friendly rivalry.

Somerset is the place to move to. One of my favourite parts of this Country.

I think the rugby angle may be overblown, but with 2 professional football clubs and 3 big rugby clubs, does the west country have the population for a massive football club?

2 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

As others have pointed out the Region is competing with Rugby and some big clubs.

Both are decent clubs. The Shit Heads have got a cracking infrastructure now and being propped up my a rich supporting benefactor.
Rovers are more like us, the poor neighbours with a conveyor belt of shit owners.

It is an upmarket City in the main populated by Strangers, as people move into Bristol thus all about securing new support. High student population and some stunning and expensive property.
North of the River is Gas territory, South Shit Head. Without doubt not a friendly rivalry.

I think the rugby angle may be overblown, but with 2 professional football clubs and 3 big rugby clubs, does the west country have the population for a massive football club?

Yes it has but people have to change there attitude towards local clubs City Rovers and Yeovil and stop supporting the big 6 buying there shirts etc then maybe these clubs will start showing something.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2
52 minutes ago, RedM said:

Agree with all of that - one more goal while we were on top and it’s a different story on Saturday. We do seem to have to work very hard for goals, even when we’re on top. 
I’m always wary of us in front of a big crowd but hopefully the likes of Naismith will help keep us organised and make us a tougher opponent. 
Hull and Sunderland wouldn’t have been my choice as first games!  Right now I’d settle for a point - it’s important to get off the mark. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Street red said:

Yes it has but people have to change there attitude towards local clubs City Rovers and Yeovil and stop supporting the big 6 buying there shirts etc then maybe these clubs will start showing something.

Agreed.

But I don't see it happening. If anything, I think it'll get worse. ?

19 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Well he’s spot on with some of that.

I’d argue that there are now more City fans in North Bristol than Rovers.

I don’t know the answer as to why Bristol has been so unsuccessful as a football city. What I do know is that before 1922 we’d finished runners up in the football league and been FA Cup finalists. We’ve got no where near repeating that since.

This town ain’t big enough for the both of us.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Lew-T said:

True, apart from Man Utd in the League Cup.

First sell out of the ‘new’ Ashton Gate, defeat to Birmingham.

Wolves 7 months later.

Man City the same month.

Derby at home the following season whilst fighting for a Play Off spot.

Leeds home first game of the following season…

Etc.

7 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Wolves 7 months later.

Man City the same month.

Etc.

Newcastle in the league from memory. Wolves in the Cup a couple seasons ago. Remember that being close to a sell out. Granted they are tough games mind!

Edited by Lew-T
4 hours ago, weepywall said:

I can categorically say we won't get 3 points tomorrow ?

I can categorically say I’m going to win the Euro lottery this week. The fact that I haven’t bought a ticket might make this a problem, but I’m going to say it anyway 

• Hmmm 1
2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Wolves 7 months later.

Man City the same month.

Etc.

Not saying you’re wrong, but pretty harsh to include the Man City one.

I don’t know anyone who thought that we’d win once we saw the side they had put out & I thought we played really well & losing 3-2 was absolutely no disgrace at all.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

Anyone get pissed off when opposition fans call Bristol a “Rugby town”.  Nobody ever says “who are you, Bears or Bath” as their first question, it’s always “City or Rovers”.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1
18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Anyone get pissed off when opposition fans call Bristol a “Rugby town”.  Nobody ever says “who are you, Bears or Bath” as their first question, it’s always “City or Rovers”.

It's an easy, lazy way for people who don't know much about Bristol to explain the City's lack of footballing success.

You look at the number of tickets sold for City, Rovers and the Rugby team and it's pretty clear that overall football attracts more fans than rugby in Bristol.

Bears have announced 10,000 STs sold (as of 4 July), we've shifted 13,500ish, and Rovers have sold a dozen or so. We averaged 20,000ish last season, Rovers what, 8,000ish? Bears are 16-17,000 average attendance.

No doubt the Rugby is well supported, and there will be some cross over between football and rugby, but to suggest Bristol is more of a rugby town than a football one is a little naive I think.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1