IGNORED

Sunderland at home match day thread

21 hours ago, gornagain said:

I've subscribed to the British Newspaper Archive and found this:

Dundee Evening Telegraph Monday 20 April 1908

Bristol City v. Sunderland

English League – First Divsion

Played at Bristol this afternoon in brilliant weather. The great game was watched by fully 18,000. The opening stages were all in favour of the homesters, for whom Nixon did some brilliant work. After thirteen minutes Burton, following good work by Maxwell, opened the scoring. Sunderland then improved their play, but failed to score. Gilligan improved the City’s lead with a hot shot.  Interval :- Bristol City 2 ; Sunderland 0.

In the second half Sunderland were without Hogg. They played excellent football, however, but did not shoot accurately. After thirty five minutes of this moiety Maxwell was responsible for putting Bristol ahead with a glorious shot, with which Roose had no chance. An exciting game resulted in an excellent win for Bristol who have now practically saved themselves from entering the Second Division

BRISTOL CITY 3

SUNDERLAND 0

I remember that game well. I had a delicious steak and kidney pie and a pint on the way to the ground and got change from a farthing 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Not saying you’re wrong, but pretty harsh to include the Man City one.

I don’t know anyone who thought that we’d win once we saw the side they had put out & I thought we played really well & losing 3-2 was absolutely no disgrace at all.

You’re right mate.

I only included it because it was a defeat but totally agree that we did ourselves proud that night just like we did up at the Etihad and throughout the rest of the cup run.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1
14 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Worried we have a incredible atmosphere at the game and get hit with early Sunderland goal. And it all goes toxic in first 30 minutes.

Or am I just too full of negatives 

Or realism 

I don’t think it would go toxic but certainly could kill the excitement. Its exactly what we’ll be setting up to avoid. Toxicity won’t take long to arrive if we continue to concede late goals however. 

• Hmmm 1
5 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I can categorically say we won't get 3 points tomorrow ?

I can categorically say I’m going to win the Euro lottery this week. The fact that I haven’t bought a ticket might make this a problem, but I’m going to say it anyway. 

I wonder whether the post was made on the basis City play on Saturday, not tomorrow. ?.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 2

Website showing just 18 home tickets now remaining. May top 25-25.5k. 

Capacity 26,500 home stands almost sold out and Sunderland have 3,300 of the 4,200 available seats in the Atyeo so looks like maximum of 1,000 empty seats all in away end/segregation. 

Big opportunity for Nige and the fans to really get the home support interested this season. 

• Like 3

Just thought I’d add a bit on Sunderland ahead of Saturday (now tomorrow!!), based on 1 game:

• More direct than City but ponderous with it
  • City didn’t chase a high press, but when they did trigger it they were effective in doing so
  • City built attacks of more than 10 passes (8), Sunderland (3), City built Theres with more tempo
  • Sunderland had 2.4 passes per possession (bottom 6), City 3.2 (12th)

They deploy a similar 3412 as us, so unless they set up differently, there shouldn’t be calls for being overloaded in midfield.

547BF1AD-0C12-46E7-AFDE-B4BBDBB2DC64.thumb.jpeg.6931dbf8e8b71c600c0aa057dcb9a0bd.jpeg

They play with two “wingers” as wingbacks.  Pritchard will play withdrawn from Stewart, who reminds me a bit of John Stead in style.  Embleton may play a bit closer to Pritchard and it feel like a 3421-box at times.

I think we can suffocate them by playing a high line, and hopefully Dasilva and whoever plays RB can push Gooch and Clarke deep.  Our midfield two need to be brave too and one of them (Williams) support our no10 (Sykes / Scott) in blocking balls between the lines.  We did it well first half last week...and we can force errors out of Corey Evans.

Would not surprise me if Nige uses his subs different this week.

• Like 7
8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just thought I’d add a bit on Sunderland ahead of Saturday (now tomorrow!!), based on 1 game:

• More direct than City but ponderous with it
  • City didn’t chase a high press, but when they did trigger it they were effective in doing so
  • City built attacks of more than 10 passes (8), Sunderland (3), City built Theres with more tempo
  • Sunderland had 2.4 passes per possession (bottom 6), City 3.2 (12th)

They deploy a similar 3412 as us, so unless they set up differently, there shouldn’t be calls for being overloaded in midfield.

547BF1AD-0C12-46E7-AFDE-B4BBDBB2DC64.thumb.jpeg.6931dbf8e8b71c600c0aa057dcb9a0bd.jpeg

They play with two “wingers” as wingbacks.  Pritchard will play withdrawn from Stewart, who reminds me a bit of John Stead in style.  Embleton may play a bit closer to Pritchard and it feel like a 3421-box at times.

I think we can suffocate them by playing a high line, and hopefully Dasilva and whoever plays RB can push Gooch and Clarke deep.  Our midfield two need to be brave too and one of them (Williams) support our no10 (Sykes / Scott) in blocking balls between the lines.  We did it well first half last week...and we can force errors out of Corey Evans.

Would not surprise me if Nige uses his subs different this week.

Dave, the factual, insightful, and beautifully illustrated data is all well and good, but.....

how many goals are we going to win by?!!!!

?

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Hmmm 1
6 minutes ago, semblar said:

There looks to be a block of almost 50 in W17 - just released maybe (?) - and about 7 single seats in the upper Lansdown

Why do they do that?

Anyone looking for 3 or 4 seats together yesterday would not have found them

But now there is a large block of prime seats suddenly appeared

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, semblar said:

There looks to be a block of almost 50 in W17 - just released maybe (?) - and about 7 single seats in the upper Lansdown

Not sure how they've suddenly made those seats available in w17.

But it seems like they will get sold given the interest.

1 minute ago, myol'man said:

18 seats left!

On the OS - 

Just a handful of individual seats remain for City's first home game of the Sky Bet Championship season against Sunderland on Saturday (August 6th, 3pm). 

Ashton Gate is approaching a sell-out as Nigel Pearson's side return to BS3 for the first time in 98 days to take on newly promoted Sunderland.

Limited tickets are available for the visit of the Black Cats with the 'Mates Rates' ticket offer still applicable to Season Ticket holders who can bring two friends for £12.50 each.

There is also a Members discount available where Members can claim a £15 ticket, available in the South Stand, Family Area and Dolman Wings.

Adult prices have been reduced in the Family Area to £25 for Gold category games in line with our commitment to families and young supporters, while Under-12 prices range from just £10.

Supporters can also take advantage of Adult tickets from £25 in E34 of the Dolman Stand.

• Robin 2
28 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Why do they do that?

Given the location close to the lounge, perhaps they were set aside for corporate hospitality which isn't used now. Or perhaps it was set aside for the local kids football clubs - I think they sometimes sit in that area - and are now not being used?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Why do they do that?

Could be a number of reasons, returned tickets from the community trust, sponsors or hospitality. 

Unless the Heineken Lounge is sold out, I’d expect seats from unsold packages will become available tomorrow morning in that corner section of the South Stand. 

• Like 1

It’s a sell out

Ashton Gate is set for its largest opening match attendance in 44 years with a sell-out crowd for the first home game of the season against Sunderland tomorrow (August 6th, 3pm). All tickets have been purchased for the Robins’ return to BS3 to take on the newly-promoted Black Cats in what is set to be the largest crowd since August 20th 1977 when 25,291 packed the Gate for City’s first home game against Wolverhampton Wanderers in the then Division One. 
City Chairman Jon Lansdown said: “Thank you to everyone who has bought Season Tickets or match tickets. To sell out the Gate is a great achievement and a credit to our supporters, especially in a tough financial climate. It’ll be a great atmosphere against Sunderland as our fans continue to show their strong support for the team."

Mates Rates codes, City Members’ discount and reduced adult prices in the Family Area have all contributed to the bumper crowd.

Supporters are reminded that there are no walk-up match tickets for sale.

Should any tickets be returned to the club and available they will be made available to purchase online. 

TOP CITY OPENING HOME GAME ATTENDANCES

• August 20th, 1955, Swansea Town, Division Two - 31,618
  • August 18th, 1951, Newport County, Division Three South - 30,048
  • August 24th, 1957, Liverpool, Division Two - 28,431
  • August 21st, 1956, Nottingham Forest, Division Two - 27,898
  • August 20th, 1949, Northampton Town, Division Three South - 27,463
  • August 26th, 1933, Bristol Rovers, Division Three South - 26,218
  • August 28th, 1920, Notts County, Division Two - 25,600
  • August 24th, 1976, Stoke City, Division One - 25,316
  • August 20th, 1977, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Division One - 25,291
  • August 23rd, 1958, Rotherham United, Division Two - 25,253
  • Like 1

Just to save time tomorrow, I’ll just point out now that I know of 5 ST holders who are not going due to being on holiday, attending a wedding etc, plus a relative of mine bought a ticket but is now unwell so won’t go, so relax everyone & don’t bother pointing out that there will be empty seats.

Those seats were actually sold.

Edited by GrahamC