IGNORED

Sunderland at home match day thread

5 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

It’s a sell out

Ashton Gate is set for its largest opening match attendance in 44 years with a sell-out crowd for the first home game of the season against Sunderland tomorrow (August 6th, 3pm). All tickets have been purchased for the Robins’ return to BS3 to take on the newly-promoted Black Cats in what is set to be the largest crowd since August 20th 1977 when 25,291 packed the Gate for City’s first home game against Wolverhampton Wanderers in the then Division One. 
City Chairman Jon Lansdown said: “Thank you to everyone who has bought Season Tickets or match tickets. To sell out the Gate is a great achievement and a credit to our supporters, especially in a tough financial climate. It’ll be a great atmosphere against Sunderland as our fans continue to show their strong support for the team."

Mates Rates codes, City Members’ discount and reduced adult prices in the Family Area have all contributed to the bumper crowd.

Supporters are reminded that there are no walk-up match tickets for sale.

Should any tickets be returned to the club and available they will be made available to purchase online. 

TOP CITY OPENING HOME GAME ATTENDANCES

• August 20th, 1955, Swansea Town, Division Two - 31,618
  • August 18th, 1951, Newport County, Division Three South - 30,048
  • August 24th, 1957, Liverpool, Division Two - 28,431
  • August 21st, 1956, Nottingham Forest, Division Two - 27,898
  • August 20th, 1949, Northampton Town, Division Three South - 27,463
  • August 26th, 1933, Bristol Rovers, Division Three South - 26,218
  • August 28th, 1920, Notts County, Division Two - 25,600
  • August 24th, 1976, Stoke City, Division One - 25,316
  • August 20th, 1977, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Division One - 25,291
  • August 23rd, 1958, Rotherham United, Division Two - 25,253

I was at all of the matches after 1950.

Newport was Atyeo's debut. Rotherham won 6-1 followed by 7-4 away to Barnsley.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 2
27 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

From FB:

Hi All
I posted on here a week ago regarding my brother Martins passing and contacted Jerry at the club to see if a mention could be held. He was trying to add small write up below in the match day programme but doesn’t look like it’s happened for some reason.

I have asked the club if his photo could be put up on screen in 57 th minute for a round of applause and would appreciate support from all you fellow reds.

I know it’s Stoney’s day we both knew him from our playing days at fry’s where he refereed many matches and was always a key figure in dressing room and end of season presentations , lovely chap and legend our thoughts will be with him & his family Saturday as well.

Below is the information I sent to the club for my brother.

Martin was an avid Bristol City supporter all his life and for many years held a season ticket in south / lansdown stands , he loved his football and followed the team both home and away. 
Martin took his life and passed away due to mental heath illness on 12 th April at age of 57.
He was a loving person who will be sadly missed by his family and friends .
Mental heath is a hidden disability for anyone suffering from this illness don’t be afraid to ask for help support , it’s out there.

Martin renewed his season ticket before he passed away held in row 1 W1 of Upper Lansdown stand and his wife Roseann will be present along with family and friends at Saturdays match to honour Martins memory.

If his photo is displayed on screen at 57 minutes the family would be over the moon for your support with a round of applause, it would mean so much.

Many thanks 

Brother Andrew

Try and get the word around lads. Its poor from the club that they dont try harder to acknowledge these things.

Edited by OliOTIB
  • Like 1
On 03/08/2022 at 18:11, RudiRed said:

Despite being only the 2nd game of the season I can't help but feel this is a big game - momentum is so important in this league. I worry about our attacking threat without Semenyo.

I know its early but could be a massive turning point. If we are down by 2 at half time all the critics and most of the Dolman stand will leave before the second half. 

Last week I predicted 2-1 for us but we all know it went the other way. The result was not fair. However it is what it is I-am afraid.

My prediction is a 2-2 draw today. 

It would be a great day at BS3 with other 20K cheering the red army on. If it does not work to day with a massive home support it will be down hill from now on.

• Hmmm 1
2 minutes ago, City oz said:

I know its early but could be a massive turning point. If we are down by 2 at half time all the critics and most of the Dolman stand will leave before the second half. 

Last week I predicted 2-1 for us but we all know it went the other way. The result was not fair. However it is what it is I-am afraid.

It would be a great day at BS3 with other 20K cheering the red army on. If it does not work to day with a massive home support it will be down hill from now on.

I don't think it's anywhere near as important as you make out. It's the second game of a 46 game season. There was much more pressure at the start of last season with Pearson still looking for a first home win. 

• Like 2
Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

I don't think it's anywhere near as important as you make out. It's the second game of a 46 game season. There was much more pressure at the start of last season with Pearson still looking for a first home win. 

I agree. But if we go in at half time down the unfortunate ones amongst us will start writing the season off. There is pressure like other seasons but a home win today is critical for team moral and everyone in Bristol

4 minutes ago, City oz said:

First home game of a very  long season and a loss is the gateway to 'downhill from now on'? 

Blimey. So if we lose we're relegated.

9 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

From FB:

Hi All
I posted on here a week ago regarding my brother Martins passing and contacted Jerry at the club to see if a mention could be held. He was trying to add small write up below in the match day programme but doesn’t look like it’s happened for some reason.

9 hours ago, OliOTIB said:

Try and get the word around lads. Its poor from the club that they dont try harder to acknowledge these things.

Tinners' obituary is in the match programme for today. Stoney also featured. Both have a full page each. Pages 48 and 49.

Download here https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/bigger-and-better-202223-robins-programme/

Screenshot_20220806-090313.png

Screenshot_20220806-090328.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Robin 2
1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

First home game of a very  long season and a loss is the gateway to 'downhill from now on'? 

Blimey. So if we lose we're relegated.

Nah but the critics will be out before you are eating your bacon and eggs tomorrow morning. Unfortunately all our expectations on OTIB are high this season and we all wish for the play offs

• Hmmm 1
2 minutes ago, City oz said:

Nah but the critics will be out before you are eating your bacon and eggs tomorrow morning. Unfortunately all our expectations on OTIB are high this season and we all wish for the play offs

“Wish” is not expectation 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1
3 minutes ago, City oz said:

I really haven't got the feeling that expectations are that high- most have been pretty much expecting an improvement over last season .

We all wish for promotion and do every season irrespective of team or manager!

• Like 5
24 minutes ago, City oz said:

A massive turning point and downhill from the FIRST home game of a new season?! Right  

21 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

While it certainly isn't a "must win" game, I do think it is important otherwise we run the risk of falling into the same trap as last season. 

We need momentum and we need to start making progress, we did towards the end of last season, be very disappointing if we cannot build on that.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Redtrojan said:

Well at 29/20 for the win I have lumped £20 on us .

Sunderland looked ok in attack last week on the telly ,but thought they were vulnerable at the back.We were unlucky to lose at Hull.

Hate betting on us as often double misery,but think the odds are too tempting to ignore.

Just looked on bet 365. See below.

We have conceded 2 or more goals in 12 of the last competative 20 matches. Sunderland have not been beaten on their last 17 matches. 

What ever market you are looking at in either pounds or dollars it is below. A close win I hope for us but a draw might be the best bet if you are betting from your head and not your heart. 

We were very unlucky to lose at Hull and let us hope we win today.

• 2.45 for a City win.
  • 2.9 for a Sunderland win
  • 3.25 for a draw.
1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

prepare to be disappointed

we need to keep dreaming. I suppose we all do it early in a new season. What I do know dreaming or not how good would it be if we made the paly offs or even got promoted. We are very well set up as we could be for this season.

As long as the team week in and week out perform we should do well. A top four position after two months will give great cofidense to the team and all of us supporters. We are all screaming out for success.

11 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

From FB:

Hi All

I have asked the club if his photo could be put up on screen in 57 th minute for a round of applause and would appreciate support from all you fellow reds.

I know it’s Stoney’s day we both knew him from our playing days at fry’s where he refereed many matches and was always a key figure in dressing room and end of season presentations , lovely chap and legend our thoughts will be with him & his family Saturday as well.

Below is the information I sent to the club for my brother.

Martin was an avid Bristol City supporter all his life and for many years held a season ticket in south / lansdown stands , he loved his football and followed the team both home and away. 
Martin took his life and passed away due to mental heath illness on 12 th April at age of 57.
He was a loving person who will be sadly missed by his family and friends .
Mental heath is a hidden disability for anyone suffering from this illness don’t be afraid to ask for help support , it’s out there.

Martin renewed his season ticket before he passed away held in row 1 W1 of Upper Lansdown stand and his wife Roseann will be present along with family and friends at Saturdays match to honour Martins memory.

If his photo is displayed on screen at 57 minutes the family would be over the moon for your support with a round of applause, it would mean so much.

Many thanks 

Brother Andrew

It says in the programme he died aged 71 after a short illness. I'm a little confused is it the same Martin?

The Championship is a really tough league. But its all about how we play today.  I think it's really important to get the first goal to open them up a bit. Any Alex Neil side will be well organised defensively but they've come up from League 1 so I would expect them to keep it tight. Really looking forward to a packed Ashton Gate COYR!