IGNORED

Sunderland at home match day thread

I think Sunderland may be a bit like Hull in that they get stuck in and are a bit cynical, they appear to be a pretty direct side. No surprises with the bloke in charge.

Against Coventry at home, they conceded 20 free kicks conceded, 4 yellows, 38% possession, 5 shots on goal, 67% pass completion.

For comparison, our away game stats were 7 free kicks conceded, 0 yellows, 45% possession, 4 shots on goal, 79% pass completion.

2 hours ago, City oz said:

I know its early but could be a massive turning point. If we are down by 2 at half time all the critics and most of the Dolman stand will leave before the second half. 

Last week I predicted 2-1 for us but we all know it went the other way. The result was not fair. However it is what it is I-am afraid.

My prediction is a 2-2 draw today. 

It would be a great day at BS3 with other 20K cheering the red army on. If it does not work to day with a massive home support it will be down hill from now on.

Have you ever sat in the Dolman? Or are you misquoting something you've heard other people say?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I really haven't got the feeling that expectations are that high- most have been pretty much expecting an improvement over last season .

We all wish for promotion and do every season irrespective of team or manager!

Absolutely so.

No one I speak to who follows us is actually expecting us to make the playoffs.

After last week’s result it would be good to get off the mark today with a point at least, but most sensible supporters looked at the manner of last week’s defeat & aren’t exactly throwing in the towel yet.

• Like 2

It's all about progress this season and I think we are making steady progress.

With the players recruited I think there's a better balance to the squad and of those players I think Mark Sykes is the one to watch. I have been really impressed with him so far.

I am really looking forward to today.

I don't think it's too unrealistic to expect a top half finish. 

• Like 3
On 04/08/2022 at 17:24, BS2 Red said:

This guy (who may be from Swindon!) is spot on.

Cracking City, like all though have the good ends and the shite ends.
As others have pointed out the Region is competing with Rugby and some big clubs.
Gloucester, Bath, Bristol to name 3.

Both are decent clubs. The Shit Heads have got a cracking infrastructure now and being propped up my a rich supporting benefactor.
Rovers are more like us, the poor neighbours with a conveyor belt of shit owners.

It is an upmarket City in the main populated by Strangers, as people move into Bristol thus all about securing new support. High student population and some stunning and expensive property.
North of the River is Gas territory, South Shit Head. Without doubt not a friendly rivalry.

Somerset is the place to move to. One of my favourite parts of this Country.

I think the rugby angle may be overblown, but with 2 professional football clubs and 3 big rugby clubs, does the west country have the population for a massive football club?

Since when have we been ‘ Shit heads’ ? 

45 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

This has got all the hallmarks of a 0-3. 

That's very pessimistic, and though of course possible it's just as likely to be 3-0, or anything in between.

What we don't need, or deserve, is more ridiculous match changing decisions going against us.

Come on City, this is Ashton Gate which can still be fearsome for the opposition if you give the fans something to shout about.

Take no prisoners today, get stuck into Sunderland confidently from the start and we can take the points.

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That's very pessimistic, and though of course possible it's just as likely to be 3-0, or anything in between.

What we don't need, or deserve, is more ridiculous match changing decisions going against us.

Come on City, this is Ashton Gate which can still be fearsome for the opposition if you give the fans something to shout about.

Take no prisoners today, get stuck into Sunderland confidently from the start and we can take the points.

I will take a scrappy 1-0 today after last week 

3 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Think we will come out of the traps quickly today. Get in their faces, play at a high tempo & get the Gate rocking! COYR ...................

....................get in front, then drop ever deeper, sit back and wait for the inevitable late goal(s) to completely deflate that optimism! :shocking:

• Haha 1

Afternoon all!    Are we ready for the first home game of the season?  I hope that we start like we did at Hull and keep up the momentum as long as we can, no sitting back for a whole second half. I think it will be a very close game and either a draw or a one goal win. let's hope it's us and not them.  Come On You Red's!