IGNORED

Sunderland at home match day thread

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Didn't take long for us to have out enthusiasm drained. Last week I was still optimistic and thought we were hard done by but the amount of sloppy passes that have led to Sunderland opportunities has been woeful, we were unable to turn pressure against us into attack successfully either where Sunderland look dangerous when we lose possession.

Exactly this, not coped with their press, got caught out too many times, and not a huge amount offered up front. Semenyo is a miss in this side right now.

2 minutes ago, RudiRed said:

Based on today we have little option but to sell and use the returns for some players - relegation fodder otherwise. 

Exactly. And I think it would be a massive risk to lose Bentley or Semenyo given how we have started the season. Which leaves Scott as the one potential asset we could get a fair amount of money for without massively weakening the team.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I’d like better but we need a defensive midfielder and a right sided centre back better than Vyner, plus cover for Semenyo. We can afford none of those things and I don’t think much will change until we get those players in .

I still do not understand why a defensive midfielder was not  a priority. It has been needed for so long.

Just now, Redrascal2 said:

I still do not understand why a defensive midfielder was not  a priority. It has been needed for so long.

I don’t know for sure but suspect it was and we missed out on targets. There were a few defensive midfielders we were linked with early in pre-season - not least Rinhomota - and I wonder if we were confident in landing one of them but ultimately missed out.

Immediate reaction.

Disappointing result.

They had us under the cosh at 2-2 and their third certainly felt like it was coming.  At 2-3 Atkinson and Martin both had decent scoring opportunities. Rather like last week we we’re better in the first half.

On the day I feel the better team won tbh. Sunderland will do OK this season if they continue to play like today, especially considering they are still looking to add quite a few to their squad.

Good to see a packed home ground. Hope the City fans, whether new or old, keep the faith.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well FT.

Very open match, far too open from our perspective. Sunderland deserved it overall. Two matches, nil points after leading in both.

First half today thought we were ok overall, bar their very poor goal. Second half, just second best. Not going to melt down just yet, but unlike last week when it could be argued we were genuinely unlucky, difficult to not be quite worried after the way that match has actually gone.