IGNORED

Sunderland at home match day thread

Got 2 fit right backs at the club that he signed and he still doesn’t play them, beggers belief. It’s not that Sykes played badly but there’s no need to play players out of position. Just can’t see this season being any different that the last 2. Be really lucky to stay up. Bentley absolutely awful for the first 2 goals as well. All that excitement and pre season momentum…. GONE

Edited by Negan
1 minute ago, bs3 said:

Two games two defeats , did we really expect anything different. 
We have struggled to compete for two years now , we haven’t improved our squad . 
This season will be the last in the championship for a very long time , the club is on a downward spiral. 
I expect abuse for this post but instead of abuse how about a reasoned argument that we can do well because frankly I can’t see any reason for optimism.

Did you see the game? I would guess not tbh. My reasoned view on what I saw is we are a pacy defender and decent defensive midfield player away from being competitive. Going forward we looked very decent. However defend like that most weeks and you lose most weeks. It’s that simple.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Negan said:

Got 2 fit right backs at the club that he signed  and he still doesn’t play them, baggers belief. It’s not that Sykes played badly but there’s no need to play players out of position. Just can’t see this season being any different that the last 2. Be really lucky to stay up. 

I think the powers that be will give him the chop if things don't change before Christmas. But that's still a long way away

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

I think the powers that be will give him the chop if things don't change before Christmas. But that's still a long way away

Really hope we don’t wait that long if things continue as they are. Needs going a good month before the World Cup break. 

• Like 2

At least we are still looking a threat going forwards. The gaps we leave in midfield when we lose the ball is criminal, gaps are left by the wingbacks and then Williams and Massengo were stretched. 

The wingbacks and Scott don't get back quick enough to cover the gaps and by the time we do they were in positions to really punish us and pen us back in our box, usually we would have Semenyo as an outlet to hold the ball up but without that the ball kept coming back.

There's positives but the squad is looking thin and without a few key players we will struggle to be consistent.

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

Depends how things are looking after 10 I think. Would have to be very dire to cut lose at that stage, but it’s all about results.

• Like 2

The team for Coventry will be interesting. James will presumably be out for a while again, Williams can't play 3 games in a week which leaves us with Massengo (wants out) and King (more coach than player and also injury prone).

In defence Klose might start but currently Nigel thinks he's worse than Vyner, which doesn't bode well.

Possibly Wells and Conway up front? Maybe Max gets a game?

Another probable defeat, not good for morale.

First half was decent but once again, second half really really poor.  Everyone’s confidence looks incredibly frail. We haven’t improved defensively and how Pearson can look at a right hand side of Vyner and Skyes and think it’s okay defensively I just do not know.  Watching Naismith trot over to take a corner on 89 minutes was annoying as well. We never really showed urgency to get back into the game. Tired legs. Frail heads. It might only be two games but it is a worry 

It is a shame we have these defensive frailties and lapses. Our attacking threat is strong, especially with Semenyo in the lineup. If that was resolved or at least improved, we would have a solid team. Could do with a proper, assertive defensive mid and a right sided centre back - perhaps loans? Easier said than done. On to the next.

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

First half was decent but once again, second half really really poor.  Everyone’s confidence looks incredibly frail. We haven’t improved defensively and how Pearson can look at a right hand side of Vyner and Skyes and think it’s okay defensively I just do not know.  Watching Naismith trot over to take a corner on 89 minutes was annoying as well. We never really showed urgency to get back into the game. Tired legs. Frail heads. It might only be two games but it is a worry 

Feels like a repeat of last season, lack of confidence and poor decision making costing us goals, not to mention the amount of chances we continue to conceed. Last season we were saved my some dire sides, can't see many worse than us at the moment.

Same old city really, look ok when on the front foot attacking but as soon as need to defend we just go to peace's, no idea why we where playing do slow in the 2nd half, we just made it easy for them, really struggling to see what Nigel was thinking starting with Zak he was hopeless , at least we are scoring guess,

12 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Did you see the game? I would guess not tbh. My reasoned view on what I saw is we are a pacy defender and decent defensive midfield player away from being competitive. Going forward we looked very decent. However defend like that most weeks and you lose most weeks. It’s that simple.

Did we look decent going forward second half today? I don’t think so. We scored and had one shot blocked and that was it. Bentley pulled off two superb saves and we conceded twice. Sunderland were good going forward but we weren’t 

1 minute ago, RudiRed said:

Feels like a repeat of last season, lack of confidence and poor decision making costing us goals, not to mention the amount of chances we continue to conceed. Last season we were saved my some dire sides, can't see many worse than us at the moment.

If I was a left winger against Sykes and Vyner or a central midfielder I would very much look forward to playing us!

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Did we look decent going forward second half today? I don’t think so. We scored and had one shot blocked and that was it. Bentley pulled off two superb saves and we conceded twice. Sunderland were good going forward but we weren’t 

Martins miss? Not a sitter but a well worked chance.

15 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We have Massengo?