IGNORED

Sunderland at home match day thread

1 minute ago, CyderHead92 said:

Next game i would be tempted to use Naismith as the dm and put klose  in the middle of a back 3. With Massengo and Scott the midfield 2 and Sykes in front of them. Wiemann and wells up top!

Bentley

wilson vyner klose Atkinson dasilva 

Naismith 

Massengo Scott 

sykes 

wells wiemann

Not sure they'll let us use 12 players mind... 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That was pathetic

We deserved the lead when it came and I thought we would go on to win by 2 or 3 against a fairly limited, 5th best side in L1.

Absolutely folded thereafter, they had far better team spirit and what a concern our defence remains. 

Pearson was wrong to say we only lost to individual errors, they did not help but Sunderland were on top for all of the second half

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Good first half today but disappeared a bit second half. Didn’t give the ball away at all though. I think he is quick with the ball at his feet over 10-20 yards. He has a burst of energy there. I think he’s better in a 3, pressing higher up. He has tricks to beat people as well. 

HNM took a knock at about 42 minutes, could see he was struggling but just trying to get to half time. 2nd half could not seem to get going again, up to the injury thought he was one if our better players.

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

HNM took a knock at about 42 minutes, could see he was struggling but just trying to get to half time. 2nd half could not seem to get going again, up to the injury thought he was one if our better players.

Didn’t spot that. Fair play. I think if he was a player who came through our youth system and didn’t cost us anything, the general consensus of him would be a lot different 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Pritchard smashed him after about 30 seconds and was rightly booked. 

I'm not going into meltdown, Sunderland deserved to win.

However, its highlighted, again, that if you don't have a functioning central midfield and are unable to make like for like changes, there's a whole world of trouble ahead.

Can we bring in reinforcements with the spectre of FFP looming?

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I’m not debating what they contribute. I just think judging them on goals and thinking that’s the only way they can contribute is wrong 

Marvin Elliot with a 50p head got a few goals, Steven Pearson the most useless Scottish footballer bar Richard Foster still bagged a few. Why is it so hard to find a box to box midfielder with a finish? I think johnson mugging off Sammy Smozich of however you say his name was a big mistake.

Anyway I think our midfield is shit. 

1 minute ago, Curr Avon said:

Pritchard smashed him after about 30 seconds and was rightly booked. 

I'm not going into meltdown, Sunderland deserved to win.

However, its highlighted, again, that if you don't have a functioning central midfield and are unable to make like for like changes, there's a whole world of trouble ahead.

Can we bring in reinforcements with the spectre of FFP looming?

Need to see it again, but at the time thought Pritchard was lucky to stay on the pitch, maybe later in the game he would have seen red.

Not sure if the knock took just before half time compounded the original knock or another, but he just stopped moving after.

1 hour ago, Jeez said:

The reluctance to use the loan market is killing us. Or maybe stubbornness no to use it.

Just look at Simms today, he made huge impact for them and Clark who started as a loan then perm was excellent too.

Might just be that we can’t afford the loan market either, there is a loan fee and salary contributions, unless perhaps a loan with an eventual purchase.

47 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Not really a defensive minded midfielder, a nasty bastard is required in there

I thought that is what William's was meant to be? I understand that he hasn't been fit almost from the moment he arrived here, but I've not seen a lot to suggest he is the controlling midfield player with a nasty streak people were raving about?

• Like 2
Just now, RedM said:

I thought that is what William's was meant to be? I understand that he hasn't been fit almost from the moment he arrived here, but I've not seen a lot to suggest he is the controlling midfield player with a nasty streak people were raving about?

No I don’t think that’s his game, I think he’s more of an offensive minded midfielder. It’s something we’ve not had for years.

I think Pearson really needs to have a look at the way we set up. There is so much pressure on the wingbacks playing so high leaving three not overly quick central defenders exposed. Playing that same three central defenders means that we are overrun in midfield and as a consequence Sunderland had a stranglehold in midfield in the second half and we just crumbled.

• Like 1