IGNORED

Sunderland at home match day thread

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I thought that is what William's was meant to be? I understand that he hasn't been fit almost from the moment he arrived here, but I've not seen a lot to suggest he is the controlling midfield player with a nasty streak people were raving about?

He was an aggressive box to box player at Wigan. Injuries have essentially nullified his strengths. We are unlikely ever to see him at his best.

Still, we have Andy King ...?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, chinapig said:

He was an aggressive box to box player at Wigan. Injuries have essentially nullified his strengths. We are unlikely ever to see him at his best.

Still, we have Andy King ...?

I think his yellow card nullified his strengths today. He was having to manage his game after that and was nowhere near as affective.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I think his yellow card nullified his strengths today. He was having to manage his game after that and was nowhere near as affective.

Sure, but the fact remains he is no longer the player he was at Wigan, which is both a shame for him and a problem for us given the other options we have in midfield.

We know Nigel wants a defensive midfielder but our chances of getting one are slim.

• Like 1

We have to sort the defence play otherwise it will be a very long season. My local team here in Sweden, second division, have conceded 16 goals in 17 games and are second in the table. They are not a fancy team but the defence is working and the points are coming in. It doesnt matter If we play good football If we concede 2-3 goals every game its Gonna be a long journey.

12 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

That was pathetic

We deserved the lead when it came and I thought we would go on to win by 2 or 3 against a fairly limited, 5th best side in L1.

Absolutely folded thereafter, they had far better team spirit and what a concern our defence remains. 

Pearson was wrong to say we only lost to individual errors, they did not help but Sunderland were on top for all of the second half

Every time Simms got the ball you could see him scoring

• Like 3

OK; last season I posted that the majority of players are right handed and therefore right footed which in turn suggests teams are stronger on their right.

The majority of goals conceded last season were scored by opponents coming in from their left, City's right. I thought that was the reason for signing Right Back George Tanner.

This season Hull's winner followed a throw in on City's right, their left and all three goals conceded yesterday came from moves down City's right.

If I as a fan can see this, why can't the Manager and Coaching staff as they are in a position to do something about it?

15 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Need to see it again, but at the time thought Pritchard was lucky to stay on the pitch, maybe later in the game he would have seen red.

Not sure if the knock took just before half time compounded the original knock or another, but he just stopped moving after.

It was Corry Evans that crocked Massengo. 

I want Pearson to do well and take us forward, but yesterday was a poor, inexcusable show. The many first-timers and invited mates won't be in a rush to come again after seeing that.

Yeah, we gifted goals but someone, presumably Pearson, is coaching them to play it out from the back, and particularly so close to our goal-line.. That would be fine but we clearly don't have the calibre of players with the skill and slickness to implement that.

Bar one or two exceptions, the players were slow, ponderous and predictable. We lost most of the 50/50's because the players are not physical or aggressive enough.

The fitness levels of certain players was embarrassing. Sunderland were much fitter and sharper. The fitness coach (Euell?) has some explaining to do. Let's hear what he's got to say.

For me, Martin is a waste of space. The guy just plods around the field, loses most heading duels and when he does win one, he nods the ball aimlessly. We're effectively playing with just ten me, when he's on the pitch.  Don't understand Pearsom's aversion to subbing or dropping him. That young Sims guy demonstrated how a good striker is supposed to play.

The mess needs to be sorted immediately.

Finally, on a completely different subject, the club is not geared up for handling large crowds. The rambling queues and length of time it took to get drinks and grub at half-time needs to be addressed. I reckon the club lost a lot of much-needed revenue from the many people around me (and others) who just gave up.

I have to say I enjoyed my weekend in Bristol and the match, but then again I'm realistic about the club, and football is a distraction from the rest of my life!

A couple of things to add - the stadium, my first visit, is brilliant, and with my FFP head on I was delighted to see the vast number of pints being downed!  Secondly whenever I return I am surprised about two things, firstly how wonderful the Floating Harbour area is compared to similar areas in most cities I have been to.  Secondly how c£%p the traffic, roadworks and parking is!

As far as City's current achievements go, fascinated to see what the two top results celebrated inside the stadium were.  That's not denigrating those results but does put the club in context.

• Like 2